1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Paypal fees discussion

Jul 23, 2007

1. I never charge my buyers separate PayPal fees - it's covered in the listed price of the item.

As for paying them as a buyer, I strongly prefer not to but sometimes I don't have a lot of choice if I'm looking for a limited or rare item. If I have to pay the fees separately, I would ask the seller to calculate the fees, because it's bad enough expecting your buyer to pay the fees for the payment method you chose to use without expecting them to work out which set of charges apply and how much, as well. I'd definitely be upset if a seller asked for extra fees without disclosing it in the original sale post. If you want to sell something, you should be prepared to (within reason) make things as smooth as possible for the buyer.

2. I leave it up to the buyer or not. Admittedly, before I was aware, I did ask for buyers to pay them. Now I just list what I want to sell and if they ask I tell them they can send payment however they are most comfortable (I will never ask for personal payment, as it is their money at stake and not mine.) If they offer to cover the fees, then great. If not, that's okay too.

I usually try to cover them myself when buying since I'm a firm believer in the idea that whatever you want done for you, you ought to try to do it for others, especially if I'm getting an item already well under retail cost.

The only time I may ask implicitly for buyers to cover it is on pricey shipping charges. I point them to a fee calculator and give them the shipping cost so they can add the appropriate amount themselves as opposed to upping the charge myself and seeming greedy.

3. How curious! I've honestly not seen it on here. Most of the time I see dolls similarly priced, and the more expensive ones are always the people who ask you to add the fees on. OR if two dolls are the same price on their respective sales page; you would end up paying more on one of them because of the fees tacked on at the end.

Even without the calculating; I've never seen a seller who makes you add ppfees sell an item cheaper than a seller who doesn't.

4. That has been my experience as well. I find that the sellers who charge PayPal fees (and, even more so those who make the buyer do the calculations) sell items at a higher price than sellers who do not charge extra fees.

I suspect that in many instances, the seller I described above started out with a price that factored in any extra fees, but then got attached to that particular price and wants to charge fees again, thus the pricier item when all is said and done.

5. Or they've looked at the marketplace; seen the average price an item goes for, and then prices at the higher end of average AND writes "Please add ppfees". They know full bloody well their item wouldn't sell if they priced it WITH ppfees included. That's probably why their 'before fees' price is the same as everyone else's 'after fees' price.

6. Yep, definitely another possibility. Like I mentioned in my post on the previous page, I feel that sellers who refuse to factor in any fees into the asking price do so because they want their initial price to appear lower. Yes, buyers always should calculate everything before deciding on a purchase, but the psychological draw of a lower price is there with any "price + extra fees" situation.

I see no reason not to roll in any fees you desire into the asking price, as there is no price policing on DoA, other than to entice buyers through a seemingly lower initial price. Sure, if you roll in your mortgage payment into the price of the doll, it probably won't sell, but you are free to do so if you want. There's no price references for used dolls, other than a fluctuating secondary market, so the prices are more or less arbitrary to begin with.

Edited to add that I am primary a seller, not a buyer (selling off a massive fashion doll collection).