1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Pear Shaped Trend....how do you feel?

Dec 21, 2011

1. I'm very 'meh' on them. I don't care much either way because I generally don't like girls and most of the bodies are female (except a couple). And the one girl doll I do want isn't that shape anyhow so it doesn't really make a difference. I see them and go "Meh." and move on with my browsing.

2. I didn't care much one way or the other when I first saw them, though I ended up liking Fly Mikhaila so much that her body type grew on me. I also love the odd, stylized DC bodies does, pear shapes included. <3

For the most part, I don't see that a pear-shaped body would make me any more likely to go for a particular doll, if I didn't like its other features, but I wouldn't avoid it either. I do like having variety among my dolls, so I'm just glad that different body types are available.

3. I really love the pear-shaped bodies. They are so graceful and beautiful! The only problem so far is that I don't seem to like the faces that come with them... I don't like Leeke's Mikhaila, and the DC dolls' female face sculpts don't make me go "want!" at all yet... Unoss is difficult to buy (have never seen one for sale), and I am not really a fan of her neither. The only one of the ones mentioned so far that I really liked by the face sculpts were the Aoi Tuki dolls, but buying them seems a bit complicated (the website is too confusing for me and I don't speak Japanese... ).

There are also some independent artist's dolls that have this shape. I really love Enaibi's dolls, they are pear-shaped too ^^ And Püns by Dust of Dolls! Those two are actually my personal favourites from all the pear-shaped dolly goodness out there. But once again, rather difficult to obtain.

Oh, almost forgot - a doll on my wishlist has a bit of a pear-shape too, despite being a boy - Musedoll App. The female counterpart, Phai, also has an immature version of the pear-shaped body, though much less exagerrated than DC or Leeke's Mikhaila.

4. I have a head on a smaller bust Aoi-tuki body and love it. It isn't terribly exaggerated; she just has heroic hips and legs, like a Frazetta girl. I don't much care for the more extreme types. I like the Doll Chateau girl faces, but dislike the girl body, so have ordered one on the boy body and plan to mod off his boy parts. I do like that there are more and more types of bodies to choose from, even if I don't buy them myself.

5. Is UNOSS already considered pear-shaped?

6. I LOVE the pear shape! I'm more an hour-glass in real life, wide hips and bust etc. but I really envy the ladies with wide hips and small waists and busts, I think it's the most gorgeous body type :D.

Naturally I love girl dolls that look like that too! For me, the Aoi Tuki body is perfection and I'd get one if it weren't so difficult to get ahold of!! Big busted dolls are very boring too me as are the typical hour glass, I definitely would like to see more realistic pear girls (not Mikhaila levels of extreme though.)

7. I'm not a huge fan, but I like how there are some stylized sculpts out there for people who like it.

I actually have a love/distaste thing for Doll-Chateau dolls. I first think: freaky!!! and then I start to love them. *_*

I don't tend to like the pear shapes if they are meant to look a bit like real people. I think the uncanny valley thing comes into play there, with me. I might get a pear-shaped doll--BUT they won't be human. They'd be some kind of elf or goblin or fantasy creature...

8. don't like it.
      IMO the doll-chateau dolls still look decent because I think it's still somewhat realistic and I rather like it. but Mikhaila is waayyyyy to much for me! I dunno, it just look so awkward in most clothes! I don't even think these two dolls should be in the same category as their styling is very different!

and unoss... really? she's super hourglass shaped, but not a pear!
      I would've just put Mikhaila and dust of doll pün as exemples! they both have the super wide hips, flat chest and very narrow shoulders.

9. I love it. I am a huge fan of exaggerated proportions (assuming it looks good together - I'm never going to be a fan of realistic bobble heads) and different body types/shapes so I really enjoy the fact that there's more out there than hour-glass. I have a friend with both Mikhaila and DC Bella so I've gotten to see both of them up close and they're even better in person. I really hope that other companies jump on this bandwagon...not necessarily with another pear-shape, but just different body types. I really like to see different things in this hobby, it stays fresh that way...

10. The main reason I don't like Leekeworld's Art Body is the jointing on the legs, it makes me hate seeing them naked. Yes, they're cute when they're dressed up in little frocks and all sorts that hide the awkward looking leg/hip joint that makes her look like she is wearing thigh-high flesh boots, but I can't handle the naked doll look for her.
      Cerisedolls Eugenie on the other hand is a masterpiece! and I really hope to own one one day.

So I guess I am a general fan of the pear-shape idea just not necessarily of the way some companies have executed it.

11. 110% Not My Thing... But then, I'm sure my own CP dolls are 110% not someone else's thing, so to each their own.

12. I hate them. Natural pear shape is fine, but the exaggerated pear is ugly to me and I will not own one.

13. I do like the DC female doll body especially and would love it if there were more options for dolls with such small breasts. I always end up doing breast reduction mods on my dolls when I get them and so it would be nice to have at least a couple of options where that wouldn't be needed:)

14. :? She sure doesn't look it to me, either. Unoss has a smallish bust & superheroic honkin' thighs, but she's built more like an R. Crumb girl than a pear.

15. I am not for or against the exaggerated pear shape per se but I do not like it on dolls that otherwise look like children. Childbearing hips are supposed to be sexually attractive to a mate, I don't think barely pubescent looking girls should have that shape in an exaggerated way. Much too sexualized looking for their face types and presentation.

I don't consider the Aoi Tuki or Unoss to be made in the exaggerated pear shape at all. They are to my eye older teen or adult female dolls with heavy hips and thighs. Like a super heroine or a pro-wrestler.

16. I would rather not have a doll with such a freakishly large pelvis. I've seen a couple that I thought were sort of cute, but even then I still just imagine if they were a living creature, and that having a giant pelvis would be very painful and awful and they could barely fit anywhere and... ugh. I'm talking about the really exaggerated "art" types. I don't even think UNOSS is comparable to the really over the top "pears".

17. Don't like them - they look so disproportionate to me that they seriously creep me out. And I'm usually not easily creeped out (except for snakes - real live snakes are scary).

18. I'm not getting Unoss being pear-shaped, either. She's got some thighs on her, but that doesn't=pear-shaped as I understand the term. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the really exaggerated pear shape (more realistic ones? fine. Lower bopdies three times the zize of the upper bod? not so much), nor of some of the hip jointing on pear-shaped dolls I've seen. Elsii said exactly what I was thinking-the Leekeworld body's jointing does look like thigh high flesh boots. :/ I understand stylisation, but some of it is truly ridiculous. I actually find the DC kid doll bodies a bit creepy/disturbing. In general, I'm definitely not a fan of the exaggerated child-bearing hips on an otherwise childlike doll.

19. I don't really like the pear shaped dolls in general, nothing specific, I'm just a normal body type of person ^^" But what has been bothering me a little about the trend is that a lot of companies are following suit. It started with what I think was Dust of Dolls Puns, then Leeke World Mikaela and now other companies are following suit. It just doesn't seem as special anymore.

I would like to exclude Doll Chateau though, they are in my opinion a whole new type of creative. Their molds are very different in my opinion. Especially the bodies.

20. Yeahhh, I don't really like it. I enjoy looking at DollChateau dolls but ones like Mikhalia (sp?), I do not like it at all. Just for the aesthetics reasoning, really, but also they couldn't fit a lot of bought clothes.

I like them in the way that they add to the variety of ABJDs, and of course, if someone likes them, that's their deal. But I don't ever plan on adding one to my collection.