1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Pear Shaped Trend....how do you feel?

Dec 21, 2011

1. I love the concept of pear-shaped dolls ^^; Some companies don't necessarily execute the idea as well as others, but I'm fine with it. With Puns and Mikhaila, I love how beautifully shaped the bodies are because to me, they're exaggerated in a way that kind of gives it a childlike essence rather than one of a sexual object. (Of course, then I just get extremely disappointed when they do become sexualized.) However, I'm not so keen on the pear shaped bodies with extremely thin waists or big heads because I feel as though their bodies might snap in half. Doll Chateau dolls are well balanced and proportionate despite being incredible stylized, so they're just really nifty as well <3 (Definitely thinking of getting a Mikhaila and a DC some time in the distant future.)

2. I love Dc's bodies, but u dont consider them to be pear shaped.
      They just look like a super model body to me.
      Their tinies have more pear shaped though

I do really like the exaggerated pear shaped bodies as well.
      Enaibi's I love. And i really want one

But mikhaila I like the body but not the face. If it was more mature
      And i probably wouldnt buy mikhaila anyways because the difficulty in finding clothes to fit.

I love unoss, and would love to own one.
      But i dont think she looks pear shaped at all.
      She looks just like a bigger version of unoa dolls.

And they look like regular proportioned people to me.

3. I love them! I'm tired of plain human dolls. I want more exaggeration. All my favorite dolls are all off topic though :(

I have a Cerisdolls and I'm hoping to collect the money for Manon and Loonette when they come out. I would LOVE to get some Enaibi dolls and a Puns but that is the impossible dream. So in the meantime I'm gravitating to Doll Chateau. And hoping Leeke comes out with some more interesting bodies that I like.

4. I'm with the others that have mentioned that the pear shape is reminiscent of child-bearing hips and this being an attractive features to males (sexually). That's all I can think of when I see them and it's a little unnerving to see those huge hips on a child doll (like Mikhaila). While I find the feature interesting, I would not own a doll like this. It just isn't aesthetically pleasing to me, even if the whole "child-bearing-hips" thing didn't apply.

All I can picture is adorable little Mikhaila swiveling her giant hips around on some Discovery channel show with the narrator saying, "And look, here we have a Mikhaila in the wild performing the mating dance." Ugh! *_*

5. I only like it on the PUNS .................................................................. (period) :)

6. I really liked Mikhaila at one point...but then my boyfriend's view of her started ringing truer and truer to me. She was a child with child bearing hips! o_o This was a very cute and pudgy child where all I wanted to do was pinch her cheeks and then when you look down, you see how sexual she is down there. I don't exactly know how to describe it...but lets just put it at...it's too much for me. Had her form not been so exaggerated, she wouldn't have 'crossed the line'.
      That's just my opinion though. Take it with a grain of salt ^_~

But...those doll chateau bodies are so graceful! I love how delicate and lithe they are and the hips aren't intrusive to their form. It all blends together so well.

7. Those big hipped dolls reminded me of the baby fat stage. I didn't think of their hips being child bearing. I just thought it was a doll that had an exaggerrted feature, like feet or the head. Don't really know what to think of them now after reading this thread.

8. Interesting discussion. I never considered Mikhaila's appearance to look "child bearing," but now that it's been mentioned a lot, I can see where that's coming from. With that in mind I guess I can see where it can put a person off. I like her because she's artistically exaggerated in a way that's cute to me, and I probably see myself wanting her more in the future. But yeah, recently, pear-shaped dolls have been a favorite for me. Doll Chateau is just so lovely. Their lanky bodies are what stole my heart.

9. So long as these odd pear-shaped bodies don't outright replace the more normal ones, I have not much of an opinion, except that it seems very follow-the-leader-ish. /lacks interest.

10. It's probably because of the child-sexy hips mix that I find Marty Presents dolls more acceptable -- they look mature, so the hips don't weird me out.

11. Not my kind of thing as I like child-like cute looking dolls. I think Puns body is done very well and is very refined with nice joints, the other ones which followed the trend are not done as well - some of the heads don't match this body type at all and some of the jointing on these bodies is just awful - some of these dolls don't look deliberately exaggerated but actually deformed. Apart from Dollzone's Moment body - that is a beautifully sculpted body!! I may actually get that one.

I wish at least one company would come up with some nice, well sculpted, quality, non-mature, non-exagerrated female bodies. I have Volks and I have hypermaniac but that about covers that category.

12. It is interesting that many people think that Unoss is not pear-shaped, just having big/muscular thighs...

In my opinion, a "pear-shape" does imply having big thighs pretty often. Pear-shaped doesn't necessarily mean that the hip bones are much wider than the shoulders, while the ribcage is smaller than the head - it simply means that the fat distribution, muscle shape and bone structure together make the figure resemble a pear rather than an hourglass, apple or stick. Most real life women who have pear-shaped bodies don't have shoulders that are so tiny that their head looks wider than them, so I think Unoss is simply closer to a realistic "pear shape". As is Aoi Tuki.

13. I don't care for any of the dolls mentioned. I am more attracted to dolls and bodies that have a realistic look, and also a less mature look.

I can in some ways appreciate the dolls mentioned aesthetically but I don't actually really like them.

14. I love my Mikhaila!~<3 I think the big-bottom look is cute on dolls, it really works for cute poofy dresses! I think it's kinda babyish/child-like :) I'm even getting a Dollchataeu baby(hybrid) to be her little sister! ^^
      I'm not into realism at all with any of my dolls, so I say bring on the odd sizes! xD

What I really love is that companies are staring to "experiment" with the human form and relative proportion. Big heads, long arms, skinny legs, big bottoms, tiny waists, four feet. It's all such a breath of fresh air! Even if it isn't to everyone's fancy, I think it's really nice to see some crazy-different dolls. (and the crazy things people will turn them into!)
      Just throwing it out there, Dollzone's Moment and Anson have some pretty impressive hips too! ;)

15. I love the look of them. The photo shoots I've seen them of them are very interesting visually, but that doesn't translate into me wanting to own one.

I can see the appeal of all the varieties of DC dolls but the only ones I would want to own are the thin otherworldly ones.

16. I've never thought of Mikhaila as a child doll so her particular brand of sexy presentation has never bothered me.

But beyond that....I'm not an ass woman and thus the pear shape doesn't do much for me. My eye is drawn either to slim, stick straight figures or hourglass figures. The no boobs on top, everything down below provokes a meh reaction to me. I also think we've reached the point in the pear shape boom where a lot of them are trying to out pear shape the other and this is leading to the really ridiculous proportions where the doll's hips are 2 and 3 times wider than their shoulders. I don't see myself ever owning one.

Something else will come along soon enough and then everyone will jump on that particular trend bandwagon.

17. I think that the shape is interesting and strange, but I haven`t seen a doll like that captured my attention enough to think about buying one.

18. I like pear shaped dolls because I myself am very pear shaped, so I think they're beautiful and realistic. I own a DollChateau body and I could say it's close to being my favorite body!

19. This. For the love of resin THIS.

I'm all for customization! Bring on the exaggerated body types. I'm even OK with the pear-shaped bodies. There's nothing wrong with some junk in the trunk. But when you stick such exaggerated hips on a YoSD-sized doll with a YoSD/lolita face it sets off my pedobear alarms. You've taken a very sexual image and stuck it on a doll who looks like she's 8 years old. (Leeke topped it off by putting her in pants with a hole right above her crotch.)

20. Honestly, it has no impact on me, because my entire collection is based on the 1/3 scale. I don't collect mini or tiny dolls, and since no 55cm+ dolls have been released that have this shape, I haven't considered buying any of the pear-shaped dolls that have come out.

However, I would LOVE to see a large doll with this same shape. I'm really dedicated to diversity in body styles in my collection, and would love to add a realistic (not so exaggerated as to be cartoony) pear-shaped female to the bodies I already have. Depending on available skintones, I have a couple of different heads I would use on such a body.