1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Pear Shaped Trend....how do you feel?

Dec 21, 2011

1. There seems to be more controversy/polarization around the fatter pears than the thin pears. I don't know why. The Doll Chateau 65 cm girls are amazing too! I love them!!

And I'm trying to save up for Manon!! I haven't yet found a stylization too much for me.

2. I think I'd like to have a variety of body types to my collection, and I like the pear-shaped bodies enough to consider adding one to my collection in the future. ^^

3. I guess it depends. I'm not usually a fan of the overly pear shaped dolls, but for some reason I love the ones from Doll Chateau. :D

4. At first I disliked pear-shaped dolls. Leeke Mikhaila was the first I ever saw and after a while she grew on me. Moreso the face than the body, but her big hips are kinda cute too. While I have no plans to own her, I do like her now. I can't say the same for others. I do not like Doll Chateau. To me, DC dolls are creepy and look emaciated. No offense to fans of the company; I know most people don't like their dolls being called creepy, but this is my opinion of them, and I get the impression the company is trying to make them creepy.

5. i really like dolls with bigger hips/smaller bust, i especially love the Doll chateau kid and tiny bodies, and also Doll Zone's small bust msd bodies~ nice curves without too big boobies <3

@BabySnow i believe you are right that what you call "creepy" is intentional by DC. i think this weirdness/different esthetics is the reason why so many ppl, including me, love them :aheartbea
      well, everyone has different taste~~

6. I can imagine how hurt an owner of this doll might be by reading your posts.
      If you don't have anything nice to say about the doll then don't say anything at all. or at least give some consideration to the feelings of your fellow collectors who are as emotionally invested in their dolls as you are to yours.

Sorry for going off topic,

But I have a little bit more to say on these kind of dolls. (the pear shaped bodies)

I find them very "Artistic" in a surreal sort of way, kinda like looking at a painting, It's very different from the norm, like other kinds of dolls that sculptors created with a certain vision in mind. The more I see 'artistic' looking dolls, the more curious I am to see what else this hobby will come up with next.

7. I dig 'em. :v (This may or may not be obvious based on... my sig...) But I would like more "realistic" SD-sized ones to own personally. I really dig the super cartoon ones but i'm not sure I wanna have one. Then again their faces usually don't do it for me! I think it's cute though.

8. I really didn't like the pear-shaped dolls looking at photos, but seeing them in person, I think they look a lot nicer in person. I might spring for a doll chateau tiny at some point.

9. I have two pear shaped dolls: Leekeworld Mikhaila and Cerisedolls Constantine. They are both incredibly beautiful and fit into my unique motley crew. At first I didn't really love Mikhaila on her sales page...aesthetically and with the controversy surrounding her...but when owner photos came in I was in love and ordered her at the end of the period. She is beautiful in person and I love having diversity in my doll collection rather than having the same body types for all of them.

Lillycat's (Cerisedolls) Loonette/Manon has an even more exaggerated figure and I would love to own one as well.

10. I'm not a big fan in general, but there are exceptions. I really like the adult Doll Chateau bodies for example, that I find very unique and aesthetically pleasing to begin with.
      But I must admit that I am a little weirded out by the overly stylized pear shape on dolls that are made to look like children. Such young looking girl dolls and child-bearing hips just don't go together imho. And it doesn't help if the doll itself is presented in a very sexualized way either.

11. It's really nice to see a variety of different body types cropping up. I'm not a huge fan of the pear shaped bodies, but I think seeing one in person vs just online could change that. :3

12. I like the more thin pear-shaped dolls. I collect MSDs and those are the type of pear-shape I like for the size. I think they can be made to look more mature. For 1/6 scale dolls, I think the fat pear-shape is adorable.. even if I'll never buy the size.

13. I love the pear-shaped dolls, although I might be slightly biased because the girls I draw are pretty pear shaped themselves. XD

14. I love women with curvy hips. It's my favorite feature. I find the trend in dolls to be adorable, but I think it would be nicer to have pear shaped bodies that are more full everywhere.

15. While I understand the appeal of them for some collectors, the more exaggerated, flat-bottomed sculpts with the thin legs that some of them have, say "art doll" to me more than "ABJD." And that's my biggest issue with them - I can't quite wrap my head around how these might fit the "Asian Aesthetic" that is the prime criteria for inclusion here, when more traditionally-proportioned fantasy-themed dolls have been denied entry.

Mind you, I don't think there's anything wrong with them at all; I've really liked almost all of the head sculpts I've seen so far on these bodies. I also admire the sculptors for taking a chance - if they don't try something new once in a while we get "same" to the extreme. It's not likely I'll be buying one myself, though, because I can't see a doll with a beautiful head and a triangular body fitting in here ;)

ETA: Although it just occurred to me, as I looked over and saw my newly arrived OT Docolla Kenshin standing here with his huge head and ridiculously tiny body that we have sometimes gone big-on-top, small-on-bottom, so maybe this new trend is just a reversal of magnetic poles, or something.

16. Wow, more of us love or hate them : ) It's nice that everybody has so strong opinion : )
      I like them, but when every firm in the world will be release pear shaped dolls in very short time I'll hate them : )

17. I tend to be buying dolls without to many curves but just like life, I like a variety, so Im sure Ill buy at least one.

18. I personally quite like them even though they're very exaggerated. I hope one day it leads to more diverse body shapes!

19. I couldn't agree more. Besides, I don't see the reference to the child-bearing hips at all. I just see an exagerated pear-shaped body...

20. This thread asks what people think of the trend. It does not demand that everyone say only nice things about it. If someone is deeply hurt because someone else doesn't like the trend that the kind of dolls they own belongs to, they've forgotten the unwritten rule of "your doll is not you."

I'm a little surprised Marty Presents doesn't get more love in this thread, given that those are SD-sized with large hips.

The full hips and thighs thing is easy to connect to child-bearing hips when there are very old figures thought to be used in fertility worship that are very much dominated by the hips and thighs.

BJDs with baby faces and the exaggerated pear shape do look strange to me nude. I'm not entirely convinced that either they (or their exact opposite, bobble-heads on little bodies) fit very comfortably into the ABJD aesthetic.