1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Pear Shaped Trend....how do you feel?

Dec 21, 2011

1. As a pear-shaped girl, I'm really glad there's diversity in BJD bodies. There really is something for everyone out there.

Timid, I had similar musings about the Dollmore Glamour girls with their pneumatic breasts and wasp waists. I wasn't sure where they fit into the whole aesthetic either, but there are trends in Asian art where big bangers are attractive there are also trends in Asian art where wide hips and big bottoms are attractive...so if this is where sculptors' inspiration is coming from, I do wonder where the next inspiration is going to come from and what form it's going to take in the dollery!

I really did like Leekeworld Mikhaila originally, but as time went on I began to dislike the way her hips were jointed. It can look as if she's wearing flesh-toned thigh-high boots, so personally I'd be looking for a pear-shaped doll with more traditional hip jointing.

I didn't like Doll Chateau dolls originally, but they've really grown on me. I'm seriously thinking about putting one of my floating heads on a female adult DC body, but this is more because she has a ghostly spindly body, rather than a pear-shaped one. She has wide hips, but that's only obvious because the rest of the body is so thin! I think that if the Doll Chateau dolls had a more 'human' distribution of fat and muscle under the skin the Doll Chateau adult and kid bodies would be considered to be athletic in build rather than pear-shaped.

2. I think the pear shape bodies are pretty and interesting because they are so different from other sculpts. I'm undecided on wether or not I'll get one. I sew all of my doll clothes so on the one hand it would be a nightmare to figure out how to make things fit and look good but on the other hand it might be a good challenge. Only time will tell I suppose.

3. At first, I wasn't too sure about them, but as I've seen more and more owner pics of pretty pear-shaped dolls, they've really grown on me. Especially the Doll-Chateau molds. They seem sort of... like fairies. :D

4. i guess that it all depends. i may not like certain things in dolls but i do look at the doll for what it is. i think im saying i take it case by case. but while i may like something or think its cute, that doesn't mean any will wind up in my collection any time soon....

5. I ADORE the pear shape honestly. It's so interesting to look at, and the curves just drive me wild. xD They're so pretty, and if I could, my whole collection would be the pear shaped dolls.

6. I like the idea of the big bottomed girls like Mikhaila, and I've considered them before, just for the interesting artistic shape and aspects of them. However, as someone else said, they are way too far into the child-like adult arena for me. I do not like child dolls or child dolls with adult features (like large breasts). I'm flexible though (since some faces are very anime-ish and can be younger or older), so most don't work for me. My second reason against them is the lack of clothing. The only reason I don't have more Iples is because it is a huge challenge to find clothes for them. I can't imagine trying to find clothes for a girl like this!

I've got a huge rear-end myself, and I can say it is quite possible to have a little waist and hips and a giant freaking rear. Maybe that's why the proportions don't bother me and why I rather like them, overall. For now they stay in the same place as ultra-tinies and fantasy parts. I'll keep looking at them and loving them from a safe distance. ^_^

7. It has been mentioned a few times how Mikhaila's proportions squick people because of the combination of their 'childbearing-sized' hips and their childrens faces.
      This struck me as weird since this hobby consists of thousands and thousands of dolls with exactly that combination: childlike face on a much more mature body, breasts and all.
      How is it that in combination with a childlike or chibi face, breasts somehow completely don't seem to trigger the squick-factor, yet the rare exaggarated hips do?

Now, wat squicks you squicks you, there is really no argument about that. But it does surprise me and I'm wondering wether it is also for a part that we are so used to those childlike 'chibi' faces that they don't automatically ring 'child' to us anymore, so there's no conflict if the body has breasts. But if that is the case, then why does that conflict do appear when the body has hips?

I remember coming into this hobby a few years back and not liking all the chibiness in it at all. I loved the realistic dolls only in the beginning, and still mostly collect that type of doll. But in this hobby, the somewhat-realism is so rare that I never had a problem keeping my wishlist small (-ish). For the chibi factor is high in the BJD-world, I just try not to think about is as 'childlike' but as 'unrealistic', as that is what it means to most people.
      When I bought my Lusis last summer it was pure impulse, and she was way outside my comfortzone with her chibi/child's face, so for me she was a child and I found the large bust part she was strung with almost perverse under her super-young face. I didn't know how fast to replace it with the small one. But now that I have her I have seen so many Lusis and Sist dolls that I've come to see them both as much older, because their owners see them as older. By now, my Lusis doesn't seem particularly childlike anymore to me, and large bust parts on Unoa's don't freak me out anymore.

Anyway, coming from this POV, it seems rather weird to me to see Mikhaila put into that weird/squick-bracket, while all the other dolls with mature and sometimes very sexualized bodies with young and sometimes extremely young faces (DD being the most extreme I can think of) don't seem to trigger this as much.

Again, not trying to argue with a feeling, but maybe trying to trigger thoughts about the reasons and reasoning behind that feeling, and how they compare to other parts of the hobby.

8. LOVE them. Simply adore. Much more appealing to me than hourglasses.

9. Anna Mae: I also get weirded out by the childish face/big boobs thing. It's why I'm personally not drawn to Dollfie Dreams (or a lot of anime art). Mikhaela sort of reads as a teenager to me, but I find I really prefer the Leeke art body with the big heads, like Florence or Pumpkin.

I really like the pear-shaped aesthetic. I make cloth dolls, and the pattern I use most has a modest bust, long slim waist, and big hips, so it was something I was drawn to before BJDs. I like Cerisedolls, Dust of Dolls, and Doll Chateau SDs and MSDs especially. Oh, and Twigling's Ingenue--I don't know if she's been mentioned yet. She basically has a 60cm doll torso, but an EID booty. I would totally buy a DC girl, or Ingenue. Though as a how you say, very budget-conscious collector, most of those arty, small run dolls are out of my price range. I'm curious to see if the pear-shape trend eventually trickles down to more affordable companies, or if it's too boutique for that.

10. I really like these weird bodies. I bought a DC Bella just to get the beautiful body really, and I would ger a Mikhaila in a heartbeat if she was taller..

I don't know, I just kind of like this alsmost "freak show" type of dolls, I guess. They're lovely!

11. I appreciate how unique they are but don't know if I will ever want to own one. I have heard how hard it is to find clothes for them unless you make them yourself.

12. I really like the pear-shape, it's cute and unique and like you said, very artistic. Being an artist myself I really appreciate these kinds of dolls! I would love to eventually get a Mikhaila, if only it weren't pretty much impossible to buy clothes for her. D:

13. I think the having the variety is nice since there are obviously quite a number of people attracted to the pear shaped dolls. I just think it's good that companies are exploring different options. Personally I am not really into these dolls but then again…no one is really forcing me to buy them.

14. In find them kinda creepy and sooo Weird!.... Their faces maybe cute, but the body for me is a disaster, like what the hell was the sculptor thinking?.... I prefer a sexy realistic bodies...
      Basically this is only an opinion and I don't mean to offend anybody.

15. They're pretty cool and artsy, got nothing against them. I actually do actively like 'large hips' on dolls, but prefer it to be more natural so probably would never buy a doll with hips too exaggerated. But it's nice to see the variety and I'm glad for people who love this style.

16. Bobobie girls have huge hips, I've noticed, although they're just big in a lot of ways, so I guess you can't really call them pear shaped. I can say I'm not a fan of the huge hips in the bobobie girls, let alone anywhere else, though. I much prefer the thin, wispy look or the full, woman look, not a skewed hip look, which is what the pear looks like to me.

17. I'm not a fan of Mikhaila myself but that more because of her face than anything.

I own a B&G Eli-Imp who I'd consider to be pretty pear-shaped; I didn't realize that until he arrived. I actually am quite fond of it. I think of it as "baby fat" since he's supposed to be a child, and I see B&G Honey dolls to be young children or chibis.

... Speaking of chibis, I like to draw chibis with wide hips and smaller chests female or male. It just looks more cutsey to me.

18. I like variety and while I personally wouldn't buy some of the dolls out there, I think they add to the diversity of this hobby.

19. I like some of the msd ones. I always have the picture in my head, that they could be good fair folk. But that aside I can't really do much with them.

20. Honestly? I really don't care for them. If you like them, fine, and it's nice companies are offering different options, but if this ever became a norm for bjds I would be so sad....DC is creepy and I don't want to be seeing that on every doll site I go to.