1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

People calling your doll Goth/Emo/Etc. when they arent?

Feb 6, 2010

1. It falls in the same category with people who mistake the doll's gender or compare it to some type of doll (like Barbie) that it definitely isn't. If the person making the statement was being complimentary then just say, "I'm glad you liked my doll, his/ her style is actually ____, here are some links to learn more about these kinds of dolls" and move on because it's not that important.

There seems to be a plethora of posts lately about "How do you feel when someone says ____ about your doll" or "How do you handle it when someone thinks your doll is ____ when it's actually _____" and it's really the same answer over and over.

2. Yes, it bothers me, but I can't make people who aren't very related to any of the cultural aspects of this hobby understand when they don't feel like it. To those who listen, I explain, that owners create a little story, blabla, that each doll has a personality....
      Some listen, some forget -.-
      Some call my nerdish-rocker boy an emo... or a punk-poser. >_<"
      And some insist calling them female dolls even when I say they're not. Hell.

3. Frankly, I simply find it amusing that some (most) people need to place a descriptive term to everything in order to rationalize it.

I would encourage you to brush it off, because it sounds as if she meant it as a complement.

4. This, sorry guys :sweat Most emos that I know of tend to be superficial, selfish, rude/obnoxious, you get the idea. I had one emo girl looking at an emo boy and saying "He's gay, but I can TOTALLY MAKE HIM STRAIGHT IF I MAKE OUT WITH HIM."
      Er, what? :doh

If I had my doll called emo? I'd change everything about the doll. Any other subculture I'd be cool with. Just, not emo :sweat

5. This.

People call other people goth and emo when they're not, so it's no surprise they do it to dolls as well. As long as you're sure in yourself as to what your dolls are, it shouldn't matter what other people say.

6. You cannot expect mainstream society to know the special difference between goth/punk/emo/scene/loli and whatever other variety of black-wearing makeupped fashion subcultures are out there. Regardless of how special a Look may be to the owner of the doll, most people can't tell.
      I have, however heard this more than once: "Oh so you have one of those goth dolls?" They usually say "Oh, nevermind," when they see my dolls, which are undeniably non-goth/punk/emo/scene/Loli. No black, no stripes, and no decorative straps or laces.

7. I told my dad that the character for my doll was a height-challenged artist living in NYC. First thing he said? "Oh, so he's gay."
      Now, just because it's my dad saying this I was offended -- even though Faeren IS incredibly flamingly gay -- but still. And I just know that less open people that I know will rag on me for my next two boys -- Ivan, who is blonde, with a punky haircut and dresses all in black. Only in part is this because he likes emo-scene fashion. And Zane, I just know that people are going to call him emo, even though he's not. He just wears simple, dark clothes. I've been told that my Puki looks like a demon and that my AoD mini girl is so a C-student skater. Sometimes I don't mind, but sometimes it really irks the hell outta me.

8. I don't particularly care about the style part, because even I haven't figured out my dolls styles. I do get a wee bit annoyed when they get compared to celebrities, however. My Kalix has been called Michael Jackson, and my Heliot has been called Cher. Mostly it just makes me laugh. Gotta let silly comments roll off you, when so many people lack manners.

9. First people will do as they do with humans, assume things that are not 100% for sure the truth ^w^ if I dress in black tomorrow people will either think I'm a gothic or an emo .... although I am not. So why would it changes with a doll.

Now, if they find a nice doll under 100$ please they have to let me know lol they are rather ignorant and dunno the reality of the hobby, the best is to link them to DoA I guess and explain them that they did a small mistake, even though your boy can be a bit "dark" he is not emo, as not every humans having feelings and or being "dark" are emo .... But it would take a long time so the best is to just correct them nicely that no, your boy isn't emo.

After all, that's a common human thing to assume things at first view, it's sad but true.

10. It depends for me.

If they said that 'your boys are so gay' when referring to Apollo and Edward, I wouldn't mind since they ARE gay. They're both a couple.

But I would be slightly offended if they said all my boys are emo or gay. Or that they are females even though I've obviously said they're males. Or it's obvious through their clothes or lack of boobs.

I know my boys look girly and I won't mind if anyone said "OMG~ They're boys?! They look like girls!!!" My face-up isn't that good...so they all end up looking feminine...

But saying that they're trans or crossdressers even though they aren't wearing female clothes...that's a little...well...maybe they're blind...>_>;

11. If those dolls on your signatur is the dolls of yours you were talking about, I don`t think they look Goth/ Emo etc. at all. Just not all people know the differences between A Goth/ Emo etc. and the style of your dolls^^

I remember me and my cousin had dressed up in Gothic Lolita and Gothic Aristocrat outfits once. My DOI Luke were dressed as a dark gentleman. We actually looked a bit like a dark Mozart type. especially me. And some boys started yelling EMOOOOOO at us. I was so annoyed that I yelled back not everything dark is EMO you know:evil: But then again these boys were the typical badass gangstah hiphop boys. I guess I could not expect them to know all the differences. But still it is kinda annoying when people who have no clue starting to asume and especially if they are being mean about it like those hiphoppers me and my cousin meet that day. But if there are people who mean no harm and just don`t know the any better, I don`t feel that that is something annoying. Can`t really be mad at that.

But I really understand that if this is something that happen far more than you like, then yeah that is annoying:|!

12. You can't possibly know a doll's character by just looking at them, or their sexuality. So people who see dolls for the first time have no clue what your doll is about. Maybe something about your doll's look gave off an emo vibe. usually it's the hair. I see alot of dolls being called emo if their hair cover their face.
      But honestly, you shouldn't care so much. You can't expect people to know every single thing about what your doll is. It happens in actual life all the time aswell. People either aren't familiar with the labels, or people give off certain vibes. Some call my boyfriend goth, because he has a long dark coat. He's far from that tho.
      But this shouldn't upset you. If anything, correct them and tell them he's not emo. People make mistakes, and this obviously wasn't meant as an insult.

13. Don't agree. Look at animations: the way these characters are designed says a lot about their character. Dolls can be the same. If your SD boy wears cheerful, light-colored clothes, but uses these clothes to hide his deep, angsty depression, it is possible to give that away in your doll's design. Perhaps the clothes are ragged, perhaps his face-up is the total opposite of his cheerful attire.

Personally, I like creating dolls this way. I like people being able to tell what his/her character is about. If I need a 50-page manual to explain it to them, I did something wrong. So when someone comes up to me and classifies my doll as something he is not, I'm re-checking his design, see if there's something I can change. If there's isn't, I just let the comment slide; no reason to feel offended about it. (and personally I don't feel the need to correct them)

14. Of course you are correct. But it also happens alot that it's not possible. Happily dressed dolls that are downright traumatized and non metrosexual dolls being gay, etc. It happens often enough that there aren't subtle signs present. Sure, you can guess, but it's impossible to know everything, seeing as alot of owners have 1000 pages worth of background story.

15. I can't say I've ever had any of my crew called Emo or Goth. (Not even black-leather-and-stompy-chain-boots-wearing Shatterglass or angst-puppy-deathknight Chanter, who might deserve it. XD)

About the worst we get over here is what my friend LoJo calls "Dude Looks Like a Lady Syndrome" (ie: Practically everyone outside of the hobby mistaking my guys for girls. :lol:) or the perpetual weeaboo-thing. (Even though the majority of my dolls in traditional costumes are in Chinese outfits, not Japanese. o_0) That, and the assumption that male = automatically gay and twins = at least implied incest. But that comes almost exclusively from INSIDE the hobby. :|

Anyway... Like others have said, mistaken assumptions and inappropriate classifications are just par for the course. They're something we'll all run into examples of sooner or later, even if it doesn't involve the word "Emo". It's just something you have to get used to, and learn to look past. Sometimes it may be meant as an insult... but just as often it's only going to be a simple statement, or even intended as a compliment. Take comments like that based on their intent; not on their word choice.

16. I would be pretty offended to but my boys are gay and my future girl which I'm saving for now will be goth. It depends on the doll I guess and how the owner feels about their doll. When I brought Kirby to school one day this one wise ass was like "is your doll comfortable with his sexuality?" which made me laugh my tail off, it was really funny I thought, because he was the only one who actually bothered to ask about it.

17. It's silly to get worked up over someone else not knowing what exactly "group" a doll is styled in. To some, punk/goth/emo/scene/metal/lolita/someone who just likes to wear black/etc all look similar enough to lump them as one or two categories, and quite frankly, sometimes this is fair enough. There are certainly other things in life to worry about than a teenage culture and its specifications. And god forbid someone put together a list of specifications or else there will be high hell about stereotypes or poseur instructions.

18. Thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that I probably wouldn't be offended. The definitions of the terms 'emo' and 'goth' have become so convoluted in people's minds anymore that I'd have to write it off as some stupid fan's ignorance. But none of the boys I currently have really fit in those categories anyway.

19. This actually happened to me fairly recently. Our neighbour was over and I brought Damien down to visit, and I mentioned jokingly that she wasn't a vampire (she has black hair and red eyes), and my neighbour responded (rather seriously) "No, no, I know. She's just goth."

Just goth. So if she's goth, why is she wearing a white-and-gray striped bunny hoodie and bootleg rip-jeans?

I wasn't really sure how to respond, so I just said simply, "Well, she's not goth--she just has red hair and black eyes."

That being said, I wasn't particularly bothered by the statement--after all, bringing home a doll whose eyes are red and has black hair is pretty much like wearing a sign asking for "vampire" and "goth" comments/jokes. Considering I'm about one out of twenty known collectors in a city of well over a million people, I more or less expect off-handed, back-handed, and snide comments about my hobbies, so unless someone makes a direct personal affront to me in regards to my dolls (i.e. someone makes a judgemental statement about me personally in regards to the dolls/their things without knowing me from Eve), I don't tend to react, and when I do, it's not particularly strong.

As well, since I really think these girls meant the comment as a compliment, take it in context-- you know your characters and their inner workings, but they don't, so in fairness, you need to sort of take this like water off a duck's back. Accept a compliment where it's given if it's done so in earnest, and if you feel the need, correct them (gently), but there's no sense in blasting someone or freaking out, since it's likely to not end well for either party ;)

20. Blarrrhhh all the time. Mostly with Logan. It used to bother me, but eventually you're kind of blinded by the repeatativeness of it XD

People also see what they want to see. If there's even a hint of it, they'll draw their own conclusions.... and even if there isn't a hint XD;