1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

People influencing what doll you buy?

Jan 14, 2009

1. No, other people do not/cannot influence a doll purchase for me... I am too stubborn for that :sweat And rarity of sculpt is irrelevant in my opinion, get your El... he is gorgeous, which is WHY people buy him :lol:

My last purchase was a KD Ani... there are HUNDREDS of them... I care not a jot, there is only one of my Alyce :aheartbea

And I bought my Gentle Soori after seeing mrslovetts regular Soori, I actually ASKED her if it was okay, and she kinda laughed at me in an endearing way :sweat and said doll sculpts are not limited to one :lol: Then she bought a Gentle Soori too, and her neice is looking at one... we must be building a Soori army :sweat

Saying that I am probably more than guilty of giving an unwanted opinion on someone elses potential doll plans..... I shall watch my big mouth in future :sweat

Anyway long story short, GET WHAT YOU WANT!!!! :aheartbea

2. That's funny, in my local group the only advice you'll get on a doll is a "Go for it!" :-]

Other than sharing their thoughts on the particular points of a doll and or the company that makes one, I've never had anyone tell me I should or should not consider a particular doll. It's always, "if you like it that much, you should definitely get it". Darned enablers! ;-]

And btw, there's a reason why there are so many El's out there. They are wonderful! Never feed an obsession that isn't your own. Get your dream doll!

3. The only time something someone says might steer me away from a doll, is if they talked about the quality. Like they heard the resin were really brittle or the dolls are designed in such a way as to make them nearly impossible to string.

To be honest, whenever I hear something along the lines of "Don't do..... because everyone else is," it makes me want to do it more.
      Hell, I started reading (and loved!) the Harry Potter series, because so many people were like "Ah, it's so overrated, don't read it, it sucks."

4. To be very very honest... my first boy, Apollo, Angel of Dream's Gu, was bought purely due to influence.

I went to the local agent with the thoughts of, I want a doll, but I don't know where to start so might as well take a look at what she have and get from her. And so she entertained me and another girl who wanted a 'Uruha doll'. And so 2 Gus were taken out to let her choose, in the end she didn't want any.

So it was purely by chance and coincidence that Apollo was passed on to me. I liked his face, but disliked his body greatly. So I put him back in his box and continued to stare at the other dolls. My best friend, misinterpreted me when I said 'I like his face' as I like the doll due to a connection forged, told me 'if you like him, then get him'. That time I didn't really like him as much as another doll, but someone else slapped down the deposit for the other doll first...so...I got Apollo.

But thank god that now I do love him a lot. :aheartbea

I even fangirl at him when I realised that he look really good in Milky White wigs and long black ones too...:fangirl:

5. It's odd, when I first started the hobby I didn't give a rats behind about what other dolls people did or didn't have, and hence had absolutely no problem in bringing home my DoD Kirill, probably one of the most popular DoC's out there. However, since then as I've gotten more involved in the hobby and I see which dolls are a dime a dozen, I realize my desire to own any of them sort of begins to fade away. I can still appreciate a beautiful doll, but if he or he is one everyone and their mother owns, I just can't see myself owning it.

I too almost fell for El at one point, but the more I looked around and saw just how people had one and I began to really study his face, I thought to myself that if I ever did end up with one, he wouldn't really feel like mine. He'd feel like a copy of everyone else's Els. And I know this is true because even with my Kirill, although he's my first, after I brought home a couple other boys, I realized I had so much trouble bonding with him because he didn't feel like MINE. He felt like just another Kirill, even after I'd changed his wig and clothes. I've recently modified him a bit more, sanded his nose, facial scars, fangs, etc. and it helps because he no longer looks like all the other dolls with the same sculpt. I know for some people a simple face up and change of eyes is enough, but not for me. These dolls are meant to be customized and unique, and that's exactly what I want. I don't care about tiny differences-I want my boys to look different from others right off the bat.

6. That's so silly. I understand what they are saying, El is very popular, but also dolls are a personal thing. I don't think you should let people decide for you. Give him your own look and she'll eat her words ;)

7. I try to not look up if my planned dolls are popular or not, because sometimes that do steer me away from buying them. Maybe not in the sense "ugh everyone has this doll" but more like that I see them so often in galleries that I get my share of looking without having to buy one for myself.

8. I don't think this impacts me much. For example, I love fairyland, and many of their dolls, especially pukis and littlefees, are really popular. There must be a bazillion puki pipis, for example. Which isn't a problem... I love them all. For me, it's kind of... The more the merrier! :) The only exception is when I dislike a doll and see it everywhere, that grates on my nerves, which is unreasonable of me. Of course not everyone is going to share my tastes!

Anyway, I plan to own a DOC Petsha, which is a popular mold. I don't care how many there are. Mine will be mine, default faceup and all... What other people do or think doesn't bother me that much.

The bottom line is that you should carefully consider this before you buy. If you think knowing that there are a zillion Els will make you enjoy yours less, it doesn't make sense to buy him. I encourage you to not let this bother you; why let pictures posted by people you don't even know IRL change such a major decision? But if it does, I'm sure there's another baby you'll love just as much out there, if not more! Just consider it carefully! :) Good luck.

9. I totally understand. Because I have the same thinking and feelings after I got my Angel of Dream Gu. He's my first doll and after surfing around and noticing Singapore's doll community(which is darn small), I realised he isn't all that unique actually. If I'm not wrong, there are 5 others who own the same. So even though I love him a lot, I still can't help but want to make him look totally different from the usual Gus until someone decided to stop, stare and scrutinise his sculpt. That's why I keep changing his face-up and wigs.

Currently I'm in the midst of getting a tan Mo-3 from Dollzone, thankfully Singapore no one have the tan version yet...I think... *_*

10. I love my Lan&Lian, and I didn't ask anyone for opinion because I knew I MUST HAVE them. After I got Lan&Lian, I haven't really had a strong feeling for having a doll. I do have a little crush on some cute dolls, but I don't have the "must have it" feeling to them. So I would use my sister to pour me cold water to cool off my doll-itch.
      I tend to fall in love with those not so popular dolls. They're gorgeous in my eyes, and I couldn't stop wondering why so little people have them. They are not that common is a good thing though.

11. Well, the first doll that I every truly ever fell in "love" with was a DIM Love Bellosse, she is still my favorite female sculpt! I was going to buy her but my dad (mind you, I'm only 13 and I'm a boy) said "No! Why in the world would you want a female doll?!" So, I ended up buying a DOI Luke, which is my favorite male sculpt.
      So I suppose he didn't influence me to like another doll, he just made me buy a different doll first.
      But either way, my mother fell in love with Bellosse so she is actually trying to save up for her!

12. I love the El sculpt! There may be a lot of him, but like any sculpt, what you do with the face up can really change a doll's appearance and make it unique.

My sister helped me get into BJDs, and sometimes we run sculpts past each other, but I don't think either of us would really be that influenced by the other when it came down to getting the doll we really wanted. (of course, it helps that she's also very nice)

=^__^=
      Anneko

13. I wouldn't let anyone influence me into buying a doll i have no intention of ever buying, but my mom and aunt still try. I used to own a Lishe ans since then, all I've heard from them is "When are you going to get that pretty doll?" meaning my Lishe. I guess they figure that if I just have to continue with collecting bjds, I might as well get one they both like to look at. :roll:

14. Unless it has to do with a quality issue, I don't let anyone influence what dolls I buy. I definitely don't tell my fiance or my brothers what video games to buy or play.

15. Yeah...Same thing happened to me :'D I'm still kinda iffy about it but after holding another owner's elf Ducan I really want a Ducan! Not an elf since they're not my thing but I pretty much held him and said "DAYUM! I want one of these!" He was one of the 1st SD I ever held so that could also be a factor but...yeah. I'm still a bit afraid to get a Ducan so quickly after cause it'd be weird maybe! "OTL

But you should get what you want-El is a beautiful mold! Who cares if there's a lot of them? He'll be YOURS and that all that matters!(I do realize I should take my own advice ha ha)

16. when I got my first doll there was no external influence, I knew no one at all in the doll world, but when it came to getting my second I was agonising. I wanted my second to be Corpse's wife Brenda (she ended up being my third due to Elf Yder) but I could not decide between the sensuality of Lishe and the slightly offbeat looks of Dollmore Orlando Ray. I ended up getting the Ray when Gayle sold her girl, splitting with another member. The Ray head came to me and is currently on a Soom Gem body, but I want a new DM one for her soon. I love her, and always leaned towards her, and I think it waqs partly because of her unusualness and that she was less common. My friens in the doll world helped me make that decision, encouraging me to go out on a limb and take the doll that was more unusual, and I am glad I did, not just because she is different, but because in the end she was just the right doll, and in my heart I knew it all along

17. I suppose I'm influenced in that since I bought my first doll last year, all the other dolls I've seen have been on DoA, so I've been exposed to them and influenced by DoA...but I'm not particularly influenced by anyone else.

I was worried that the xredderz would feel strange by me creating a Lishe/Dollfie Dream hybrid when she also has one, but she was more than happy to help me create my hybrid and there's no weirdness there now. I knew I wanted my girl to have a Lishe head and I loved the Dollfie Dream body because it was so tall but yet in scale with my other dolls, so that's why I chose to hybrid that way around. I have also seen other Lishe/DD hybrids too, so I guess it's a common combination, but it doesn't make me love my girl any less or feel she's just one of the crowd.

I think you should go with the doll you want unless there are serious concerns about its quality. Ignore comments about aesthetics because they are all subjective, but sensible concerns about resin quality, company feedback and customer service are very important considerations.

18. ///////////////////////////////////////////

19. Hmm, I tend to like types of dolls that others do not care for, but I know what you mean. I do have a Littlefee Ante and there are many of her around. At first, I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but she is my doll and that is all that matters. :)

20. I'm new to this hobby (no longer paying my mortgage, of course), and I know absolutely no-one personally, who collects these wonderful dolls. I came across this whole world of bjd's by accident several months ago, and am completely mesmerized by what I consider an "art" form. I loved dolls as a child, so to see them created in such beautiful, unique ways, with so many opportunities for customization, I'm a goner. That having been said, "art" is a completely personal-subjective-emotional thing. I would never buy a painting that didn't "speak" to me, and if you do not appreciate the art in my home, that's just fine by me, you are not "supposed" to. Art is about the collector-about what speaks to you-what brings emotion and/or joy into your heart. If you collect for resale value only, you miss the entire point. So, by all means, you should buy the "art" that speaks to you, whether or not a million other people own it means nothing! If it brings you joy/emotion/happiness, it becomes uniquely yours.