1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

People influencing what doll you buy?

Jan 14, 2009

1. Unfortunatly this is a subject that disturbs my peace of mind quite frequently, if not because of my own experiences then by someone elses.
      I know it's not the blame of others that I feel effected by other people's opinions on which mold I should or should not buy because someone else 'claimed' it first. But I don't want the hobby to become a race. That whenever you find a mold that you really like, but want to let it settle before you actually buy(which is in my case often a pretty long time), you feel unerved because 'what if someone buys it before you and if you buy the doll second it won't be seen as if it's really yours, just a mere shadow of the first-one's doll?'. As I said before, I don't want to feel like this hobby is a race. I know it's not that I'm being said I can't buy something, but that doesn't stop the vibe from coming across. I think I just have to, care less of what others think, but it's hard. It sometimes just makes me feel as if I don't deserve to have a certain doll or something. O.o

So, other people do in some ways influence my feelings on the hobby, but not really on the things I buy, because I can't forgive myself if I don't do something I want because of someone elses opinion, even if it means more struggle, or even a harder time bonding.

2. I ask my friends' opinions on the dolls I wanna get first. I probably will be swayed slightly by what they say unless I really really like that doll.

3. My husband has had some minor influences on which dolls I've wanted so far - and usually has been the one to lead me to not liking it as much as I previously thought.

I'd find one on a company website that looked Soooo adorable and I'd be oooh'ing and aah'ing over it and he'll make the suggestion to find a picture of its body or head without the makeup and clothes, and that will usually lead me to not liking her as much as I previously thought. For example: Dollmore Narsha. Beautiful doll, sweetest little face, but I had the hardest time finding pictures of her nude body to see how she was jointed. I spent months in love with her because all I had to go on were the Dollmore pictures and a couple of pictures I found on Deviantart. Now, no offense to her owners, but once I found references, her torso suddenly seemed disproportionately long to me, and thus the love was lost for the body because I intend to use her as an art model.

I think it's more he gears me towards more research before settling on something, because he wants me to find one I really love love love before I buy her (because, yeah, it -is- a lot of money to spend in one fell swoop). But there is ONE thing he adamantly refuses to let me buy: A boy doll. Lol XD He's disturbed by their little 'bits' no matter how cute the doll is.

4. Actually yes, what other people think influences if I get a doll to a certain point.

My first doll is on his way and it's going to be a DZ Mo. Originally I did not like that sculpt after looking at the company pics and was looking out for Hid. Then I decided to have a look at the database pics of both and really fell in Love with Mo. Also hearing from alot of people in this forum how much fun they had with him helped alot to make the decision.

But in general I'd possibly chnage my mind if some people told me the quality of a doll I want is not that good, but only if I'm not 100% sure I want to get the doll anyways :)

5. The only influence I get is from my sister, and that's only in the sense that I don't buy the dolls she has or wants- we don't need two of them! :lol:

But I rarely give much thought to how popular a sculpt is or not- especially not with BJD's as everyone does these small (or big) changes to their dolls anyway so they look very different in the end anyhow. But on a sidenote- I really do like that my girl isn't that popular and that there isn't a lot of pictures of her around ;) It wouldn't have swayed me to not get her if she was very popular though- it was love at first sight with her so I would have ended up with her anyway:)

6. I have the opposite problem. My doll friend is a bad influence on my purchases;) If I see a doll I like and ask her opinion I know I will be answered with "get it!" (:aheartbea u resin angels:) )
      But seriously, should you really be worried that x amount of people from all around the world (that are complete strangers) have the same mould of doll? It's your choice, not your friends. Run your own life and make your own decisions, follow your heart and do what you feel is right.

7. My big sister purchased a Bobobie Apollo and after months of chatting to me about how amazingly affordable yet adorable the Bobobie brand is... I caved and I so want a Bobobie Mei. She is an attinable goal for the moment :)

8. I don't know if i can post here since i don't have a doll yet.All i know is that when you're buying something like this doll is such a personal choice that you've to buy what really appeal to you.I'm researching a lot and the photos, info and advice found here is incredible, a great help, but if i decide for a doll i won't change it for other ppls opinion.

9. you will be influenced. That is a fact of life.
      Maybe you'll see a mold that you were undecided about, then saw a great face-up that you like and now its a must have.
      Maybe you only saw one picture of a mold (photoshopped with props by the company) and you thought "cool doll", then you saw owner pictures and thought "eyes aren't level" or "I don't like that nose from any angle but straight on". So you've changed your mind about it.
      Maybe you saw a doll you never heard of on DOA and now its a must have.

We will be shaped by what's and who's around us; whether to be the same as or different from.
      rant done.

10. lol my friends are the SAME way! its all "you know you want it!!" and "you should get that one" no matter which doll it is XDDD :aheartbea

11. Actually I'm planning to buy my first doll right now and I asked my friend which one I should get. At first I was thinking about getting Kiril from DOD but now it looks like I getting A&D because she said that he would be better for my first doll.

12. I've been looking at getting a Doll-zone Lotus. So I've been looking for pictures of what differnet owners have done with the doll, only to find just a few posts about her! Since that I've been wondering if there is something "wrong" with the doll that most owners don't seem to like. Or perhaps it is just that there are more female sculpts out there to choose from? Currently I'm trying to ask my friends which dolls they think they would get so that I can get different opinions.

13. *giggle* I really, really like Dollzone Binli. But I called in Romana to see a picture of her and she burst out with "Ohmigod she's HIDEOUS!" so I thought, maybe not. There's enough dolls I want and adore that I don't have to make my girl live with one she hates. Shame, though, I love Binli's chubby cheeks, but Romana is very definitely not a Dollzone fan. And it's more fun if she can understand my gushing.

Looks like it will be PD Riz or DF Ella or RS Dan or Lu, then. :)

14. No I don't think I have ever been influenced to buy/ not buy a doll. Though if I see one going for a good price I may be influenced to buy them instead of my dream doll because I feel I am getting a good deal, bad I know but Im poor LOL! xxx

15. I always always always ask my sister's opinion when getting dolls.
      As much as I say I don't care when she tells me a doll is creepy (like dollcatch winy who I love), I do really :P But I accept the fact we both have different tastes. Sometimes it can put me off a doll, but other times it doesnt. I know i'm not going to like all the dolls she gets. It's just good we're both Lati people! We'd have them all if we could :P

16. I buy the dolls which I like~~~~~

17. The amazing photos I see influence my decisions on which dolls/heads I buy. I buy for personal/ gut reasons I trust so I don't have any problems with people influencing my purchases.

Mawi when I read what you wrote above I thought "embrace the creepy if that is what you like!" I denied the creepiness of my dolls for a long time, and now that I can see a creepy element to my dolls, well, I kind of like it.

18. When I was doll shopping I was looking at Meigi-2. I read a lot of posts here looking for feedback. The Meig sculpt is fairly popular and had a lot of fans so I got him. So far I am happy and would trade or sell him.

19. Naw, if i like something enough to get it, then im gonna get it. No matter what they say. :3

20. I had my boyfriend look over both dolls I had in mind from crobidoll.com, one was $575 and the other $625 (both after face-up price is added) and I was like

"So, I want the more expensive one really, but I DOO like the cheaper one... and well it's cheaper so thats more friendly on my wallet..."
      He looked them over and was like "You should just go with the one you really want, cause what if you never got another one, if you buy the cheaper one you'll have the one you don't really want!"

My dad said the same thing ^_^ They both don't get why I really want them but they are both okay with it haha. I'm lucky to have such a supportive family/boyfriend. (my brother on the other hand... haha well he's trying to talk me out of getting one completely!)