1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

People misspelling your doll names

Aug 9, 2011

1. ... The only person who spells my dolls' names is my girlfriend, and I usually correct her if she gets them wrong (which is very rare, and usually a typo). ^^; As far as pronunciation mistakes, I figure it's my own fault for naming my dolls Japanese, Hebrew, and Gaelic names.

I'll just correct people if and when it happens and shrug if they continue on that vein. I don't get excited or irritated by little things like that (unless it's my name, and then I just wonder how the heck they can get THAT wrong). Of course, I've never really had people talk about my dolls that much, so if it ever happens, I might just get excited about the novelty of it.

2. So how about this:
      I post a picture of my doll Dolores in a random thread here, with a description stating her name is Dolores.

And I get back 3 responses of people saying:
      Delores is so cute!

Then.. I'm starting to think, are you doing it on purpose? Do you want to make me change her name or something? Somehow it doesn't feel that respectful when it's written right there! It kind of makes me sad... :sweat

3. Most people can't even pronounce regular English words correctly, and depending on what area/region they come from they will naturally put certain accents and stresses in certain places for words. Even people within a general region may accent and stress a word differently. Not to mention people will generally fall back to spelling a word in a way they are use to seeing it. Or phonically the way it sounds in their head. My first name is two syllables and I will still often get called Leia or have it spelled as Leia (As in princess Leia) instead of Leah (Lee-ah). One of my own grandmothers can't pronounce my name right, she'd call me Leaur (One syllable, kind of like King Lear but with an extra ur sound. How she pulls that off I still don't know. xD) which evolved into my dad jokingly calling me Leer Jet after the planes. So no I don't care if people mispronounce or misspell my or my dolls names. They're weird and uncommon names, and as much as I like them whether or not people can say them right really isn't that important. Unless it's my sister who I know purposefully says them wrong because she says it sounds funnier. :P So I just let people have their dialectical quirks. It can be fun to see what pronunciations other people come up with, especially when they think they're saying it right.

4. This hasn't happened to me, but to be honest, I've made up most of my dolls' names, and some of them are quite long, or have accent marks. I couldn't get angry at someone mispelling/mispronouncing their names ^.^;

5. Nobody's got his name wrong so far, but I do feel a bit bad about giving Gwalchmei a medieval Welsh name, especially as I'm not Welsh myself XD. It's just... He would have been called Gawain, the more common version of the name (which, actually, has many variant spellings and a few variant pronunciations, now that I think of it), if I hadn't been planning to get an adult version of him as well. So I called him the Welsh version of Gawain. It seems a bit ... how shall I say ... Gary Stu-like ("look at my speshul name!"), but ... Well, at least I didn't call him Gwrhyr Gwalstawt Ieithoedd, right?

In any case, I'm not going to berate anyone who gets his name wrong :P.

6. Well I have my one boys name as Edan but there are many people who spell it as Eden ]. It's not too much of a big deal

7. Hrmm, it's okay if there's misspellings or mispronunciations here or there, considering there's a LOT of dolls given beautiful and unique names by their owners, deriving from different languages, from Elvish to Russian or a made up language! I really don't mind if they misspell my dolls' names, since I myself refer to them by nicknames, and I don't mind people calling the dolls by nicknames they give personally, so long as it's polite. Even with doll companies I sometimes wonder if we shorten Elder Iple Doll to EID because it's shorter to read, or if it's more convenient so that we won't argue over how to pronounce 'Iple' ahahaha!

8. I have noticed people mispronouncing my doll's names. My Rosette is named Rosalind and is pronounced Rose-a-lyn, not Roz-a-lin like most people say. I also had a doll named Lairiel, and unless I told someone how to say it (Lie-ree-eel), it was quite tedious listening to them try. Of course, I don't blame anayone for making those mistakes. Its not like they know my intense dolly details or it really matters in the scheme of things....

9. It doesn't bother me, most of my dolls names are quite simple.

The only two I ever wondered about are people's pronouncations of Merry and Kari. (Or how American's might interpret them.) I wonder if people would say Mary instead of Merry (as in Merry Christmas) and Kari is said Car E (Hikari) not said as Carrie.

10. My doll's name is Beau, pronounced as Bo...even though it's a real name, I tend to have to spell it out for people so they don't go around thinking it's just Bo, which is not a name at all. But what really concerns me is people reading it and thinking it's pronounced Byu. D; But I love his name, it suits him perfectly.

11. Somone on a national forum though my Kiahn was named Kain... And referred to him like that when I brought him to a meet-up! I thought it was funny, really, as Kiahn does have a brother he wouldn't mind betraying so he is a little bit like Kain from Kain and Abel.

12. I'm suuuuuuuper used to people misspelling/pronouncing my name. My name is Iranian, and I'm kinda glad that I have the name now, because now I know right when I pick up the phone if it's a call that's worth my time. If they mispronounce it, I'll hang up. As for actual misspelling, I'd correct them, hopefully they'd catch on quickly, but I don't think it would be that big of a deal to me.

13. BWAHAAHAAHHAHAHAH I love you! This made my day.

Totally feeling you. I'm pretty sure several of my dolls' names cannot be pronounced by most people- I blame the Welsh and Gaelic I keep using. Aeron's name is said EYE-ron, for instance. Luckily he goes by his byname of Winter. I gave Lir and Elinore easy names on purpose, but he's Lir son of Gahaeris. I named my scribe Mathonwy, but for short the doll himself gets called Math a lot. Don't even get me started on Tiarnach and Siofra. Then my newest girl had to go and insist her name is Fiachra...
      You get the idea.

14. My own first name can be spelled three or four different ways, so I learned early on not to take mis-spellings personally. :lol:

With my crew, the only one it's ever been an issue with is Nightengale, and I did that to myself by choosing the less common of the two possible spellings of the word. (Most of the time it's spelled with a second "i" rather than an "e"... Nightingale) I can't really take that personally, either.

15. I can't expect anybody to remember how to spell Eithne, nonetheless pronounce it right. But that's ok... she exists in my inner world and what anyone else thinks of her or her name, it just doesn't matter to me. Even if they get it wrong over and over (which my husband does, lol)
      My own last name is butchered so often maybe I'm just used to it.

16. when people write about my boy they mostly write Sae even though it's supposed to be SAe (with a big A in it)... I'm not very harsh about it however since it's not actually a misspelling and not everyone uses more than one big letter in a name, especially if it's 3 letter long...

17. LOL, I actually named my girl with this in mind, since people are always messing up my name. It's Callie, pronounced like Calico Cat or California, not like Kayley. And it gets misspelled a lot too. So my girl is simply Holly, easy to pronounce, easy to spell. :)

18. With some of my dolls, Tovarish, Irukandji, and Severin, I expect people to spell it wrong or say it wrong(especially for Toph since I had no idea how to spell it in the first place. Still not sure >.<) So it does/would not bother me. If someone misspelled, lets say Faye's name as Fay repeatedly, I might get a little upset, since its so simple.
      The only thing I have that like this is for my character Rowan. I don't have her in doll form yet but I RP her a lot and it seems that no matter how often I spell out her name in a post there are some people who always constantly reply with her name as Rowen. I'd never even seen that spelling before and it drives me bonkers. (been so tempted to get snippy with "teachers" and say that there will be no Rowen in detention -_-)

19. Nobody other than me has ever had the opportunity to spell out my doll's names, so they've never been misspelled. On the other hand, the OCs they're based on have had their names messed up. I can't complain. I've heard some really weird pronunciations/spellings of both my own names. People tend to drop the "e" off the end of my first name (which does really irritate me). My last name is improperly romanized Armenian. (There's an "e" where there should be an "a"). I save my annoyance for when people get my own names messed up!

20. I have three different dolls, each of different sizes, so I tend to just refer to them as the little one, the big one, and the new one. Even with other doll people, I just refer to them by their molds most of the time. I have one friend who knows their names, and she doesn't have any problem with them. They're all fairly simple: Innes, Felice, and Sonata. It's hard to mis-say Innes, it sounds like a sneeze. Felice is a little weird, but it is a legitimate name, and I wouldn't stress about people spelling it wrong. As for Sonata, I don't think I've ever seen anyone mis-spell the word ever. I tried to give them all plain names because I have a fairly common name which gets mis-spelled all the time.