1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

People misspelling your doll names

Aug 9, 2011

1. I actually misspell my own dolls names quite often, even though they aren't that difficult names... Sometimes the misspelled or wrongly said names just become new nicknames :) Also my doll Kohii Kappu, is sometimes Koohii Kappu (or even Kohi Kappu), Because I really can't remember which one I decided to be her name... And my Shiwoo named Duxin is sometimes Duksin (rarely though) and it doesn't bother me at all. Actually all possible ways to pronounce my dolls names are their nicknames, so they have thousands of nicknames! Also the next doll which I'm going to have (Crobidoll's Yeon-Ho) is named Crofton, which I can barely remember... He is sometimes confront or comfort... My friend even accidentally called him Corn Flake so I guess that's going to be his new nickname haha...

So really, because I make so many "mistakes" myself, I couldn't care less how other people spell my dolls name, though I try to say the names as clearly as possible. I also usually double-triple check if I'm writing the name of someone else's doll or mold, just to be polite ^^

2. I love people's dolls but I'm not always interested in roleplaying them. Referring to a doll by name isn't actively roleplaying I think (though you are referring to a character and not the doll as a thing), but I think the moment the owner gets annoyed or otherwise emotional if I make an honest mistake then I feel that they ARE roleplaying their doll, and are expecting me to interact with them and their doll on that same level as well as they get emotional to the point that honest mistakes can't be made without me hurting them. I would be superuncomfortable with that to be honest.

3. it doesn't bother me at all... actually, i didn't even know how to pronounce Korean names until i was researching the namesake of my favorite doll (my doll is called Yoon Ji Jyun, she's inspired by the model Yong Hee Park - western name ordering there btw, Park and Jyun are surnames). so while that's not a misspelling, it's almost something worse!

the letter J apparently sounds more like the letter G (as in 'gilded) or 'Ch' (as in 'chocolate'). i still need a Korean native speaker to verify it for me as wikipedia, google and yahoo all gave me mixed results!

in short, if i can't even be sure of my own doll's proper name pronounciation (currently i say it "yon-gee"), i can't possibly take offense at a misspelling.

4. i named my newest doll oisin XD i can;t really say it, i had to write it down! but in general i usually name them normal names so i have not run into this problem.

5. I think people mispronounce my dolls' names more often that they mispell them... xD; I don't mind in either case... just correct them if i have to.

6. It won't bother me, I mean some of the names can have multiple spellings (Claire for example) or are just not that common (Rhiannon etc). It's the same as when people constantly misspell and mispronounce my IRL name (I get called all sorts xD) I can't really get annoyed over something that small (though funnily enough it drives me nuts when people use poor grammar with no excuse).

I mean if it happens repeatedly then I'll probably do one of those *corrections. But no one will get told off.

7. I've done this too, as I intended to give Michael the last name of a Rammstein band member but ended up spelling it "Lindermann" without realizing the "r" wasn't in the original name. Conveniently, "Lindermann" is a name of British origin (if I remember right) so it all works out, since Michael is British.

Doll names, for the most part nobody has problems (so far) except for my box openings on YouTube, in which Karl ends up getting comments for "Carl" because people don't realize it's spelled with a K. xD My own alias "Tirsden" tends to get misspelled here the most, as "Tristen" or various other incarnations.

8. Most of my doll's names are simple, or somewhat common or at least known as names. I think some people might have trouble with Eleana or Johanna or Aveira, but those're the only possible confusing names I can think of atm...

9. I tend to find that misspellings aren't an issue, so much as people reading my character's names and coming up with nicknames based on their reading.

One friend of mine in particular, when told about my boys Andruthen (Ahn-DROO-then) and Lorani (Lor-AH-nee), began immediately referring to Andruthen as "Andy" and since she claimed that she read Lorani as "Leilani", she calls him "Leila". And she does it DELIBERATELY, after being told repeatedly that it irritates me. (She reckons I'll eventually cave and start calling them that too. Not likely!) I have also had people call Andruthen "Ruthie" and Lorani "Lorri".

It may seem over-sensitive of me to react this way, but these two were characters I created long before I "shelled" them as dolls, and I'm rather attached to them and their names. I suppose, having given them shortened versions of their names ('Ruthen and 'Rani, respectively), it does get to me when people get their names wrong on purpose just to tease me.

My third doll, Rohan, seems only to have a pronunciation issue. It's pronounced like "Rowan", but for obvious reasons I get people pronouncing it "ROW-han" like in Lord of the Rings...

10. People often get the name of my Pixie wrong because I usually call her by her nickname. Since her name is Druella, her nickname is Dru but most people only hear me say "And this is Dru," so they assume it's spelt "Drew". I do correct them and explain that's it's a nickname.

11. My doll's name is Alicia, and for my past birthday, my mom gave me some cash and a note that read "Here is some money to buy clothes and accessories for Alisha" :doh

12. My best friend just spelled one of my doll's name wrong yesterday, but it's definitely my own fault.
      The doll is named Ainan, but because I have a funny way of pronouncing it, it ends up sounding like Ainon.
      I don't mind, it's a name I made up, so how should she have known how to spell it? :lol:

13. Maybe because people get my own name wrong so much, it really doesn't bother me for them to get my dolls name wrong. Ariadne is pronounced different in different accents anyways, and an uncommon name. Go for Ari if it's easier ;)

As for the rest of them...they have mostly common names, but I haven't even decided how I'm going to pronounce Johanna, how could anyone else? (JoANNA, JoHANNAH, JoHONNA?).

14. My boyfriend often calls my Pukifeefee Luna "Mimi" but she is called "Mim" and she really doesn't like that...^^

15. I wouldn't think anything of it, honestly. I might if the characters actually belonged to me and I named them myself, but Deidara is a popular character and if someone knows him, it would probably only be a typo. I see Deidra a lot, but it's a more common/real name than Deidara is so if they just scanned the names of my doll, I can see how it could be mistaken. Souji/Soji on the other hand, is just a romanization of his Japanese name and there are multiple correct ways to romanize something. I see Sozi a lot on Pixiv in fanarts but like, if someone doesn't know English as well as they do Japanese I can see how that happens (plus, the z sound is very close to how his name is pronounced properly anyways).

16. I some times mispell my own dolls name. how sad is that lol. Her name is Vanhi.. I some times I type it Vhani >.<

17. With simple names like Joel, Jaida and Bella it doesn't really happen with me. But my doll Andy who was a girl was always called a boy.

18. I had a lot of time, but in any case we have in Russia a small variety of dolls, so ...

19. It happens to me a lot with one of my girls--Receba is just too easy to write as 'Rebecca'! It doesn't bother me too much, because I knew it when I named her, but I still wish people would get it right. I've had swap partners spell her name wrong in letters, and it's a little embarrassing. But then again, people get my name wrong, too, so I think it might be less the name, and more the people spelling it. (It's not Megan, guys! It's right there next to my post! lol)

That said, I've gotten one of my other girl's names wrong a few times, myself. I named her Meritities--shortened to Meri--and when I'm really tired, I've written Mary by mistake. Oops!

20. It doesn't bother me.What really will bother me is if they keep doing it after you correct them.And or if the don't capitalize the first letter.But it's not like i go all crazy with anger or something. Just me being all OCD,lol.