1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

People misspelling your doll names

Aug 9, 2011

1. It doesn't bother me so much, mostly because I think is unavoidable.
      You know, sometimes people mispell even my surname and if you think they are italian like me and we all speak the same language, it really is hilarious (or annoying, depending on the matter).
      Then I have my dolls, for them I picked names from different countries and it implies different languages and pronunciation: I know how to spell them and I try to convey their 'sound' to other people, but when you can't speak them aloud (like in a forum, where you can only write) it sure is difficult =/
      Probably we should all write an IPA transcription after the names! (Just joking, LOL =P)

2. Hell, even I misspelled my own dolls name in the beginning @_@
      Kotelet is a Hebrew word meaning "slayer" - not really a name as much as his title in the underworld!

3. I doesn't really bother me, since people mess up on my own name I just take it as a "you tried".

4. I've had friends misspell Sorsha's name loads of time (Sasha, Sorcha, Sorscha, Shorsha, etc...), what really irks me is when someone tell me they don't like the name I chose. At my first meet-up someone told me that Sorsha's name didn't suit her!:evil: I was so taken-aback I couldn't find the words... it still irritates me to this day!

Sorry for the double post but I just can't express how much I :aheartbea this!

5. Surprisingly no one has misspelled Nadeko's name yet.
      I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't be annoyed by it but I don't think that I'd be annoyed enough to continually correct someone unless I knew that they were doing it on purpose.
      I completely understand if someone misspells or misromanizes (I think I just made up a new word) her name from kanji though. I write her name as 撫子 which many people read as "Nadeshiko" although it can also be read as "Nadeko".

6. I don't think I've had anyone misspell any of my dolls' names, though a lot of them have pretty short and simple names, and many of the newer ones are character dolls so they get the advantage of having their characters already fairly well known. (I'm also not sure how people pronounce them from looking at them, though there some of the OC dolls get a little more complicated.)

However, to be quite fair, I'm pretty relaxed about name misspellings and mispronunciations. Growing up, my given name was constantly misspelled; in the area where I grew up, there was a particular variant that was well known. Mine wasn't that variant, so people always, always got it wrong. My brother had a very classic but uncommon name, as well, so his was constantly both misspelled and mispronounced as a more common one. (I think my sister was the only one who always came out okay; her name is a more common, straightforward one.) On top of that, no one could ever properly spell or pronounce our surname, either (and it's only six letters, two syllables, and honestly pronounced exactly how you think it's pronounced, stop trying to make it fancier), to the degree that when my sister and I competed on speech team as a duo, they pronounced it differently for both of us when calling us for awards. (Seriously?) And I won't even get started on the art professor who said my name right twice in four and a half years!

So maybe someone has misspelled a name somewhere along the line. Maybe someone's saying it wrong. In all honesty, I probably haven't even noticed! :lol:

7. I tend to ignore it unless it's blatantly misspelled. Like...random example, a doll is named flower and someone calls it Acasklewih.
      I mean, someone would have to be trying to annoy me with a mix up that bad. But random letter swaps or omitted syllables I just look the other way.

8. I haven't encountered anyone misspelling my dolls' names, but I wouldn't be offended or anything. It happens, and I don't think that anyone would do it intentionally so I would just brush it off.

9. My chosen doll names are not easy. (Check my list, they're all a mouthful, laugh.) So, no not really. I don't expect people to get them right all the time. I'm used to it though. My first name tends to confound people. Even abbreviating it to Mag, which is actually just my nickname, I still get called everything but. Margaret, Meg, Midge, sometimes Madge. One would think that Mag Kelly would be easy enough to remember, but apparently not...

10. This is pretty much how I feel. Heck, I misspell my own dolls' names from time to time!

11. People get my name wrong all the time. They always call me Brian instead of Ryan. So getting dolly names spelled wrong doesn't really bother me at all. :lol:

12. I've never had an occasion to actually type someone else's doll's name, but with many names being complicated fantasy character names, I can see it happening.

Ryan don't feel bad. My name is Marilyn and I've had people call me Marlene, Marlin, Murlene, etc. I usually have to say "you know, like Marilyn Monroe" and then suddenly you can see the light bulb go on in their eyes. LOL

13. My girls names are really simple so it hasnt happened yet but tbh my name has been misspelled in real lofe so much that i have grown inmune to being affected by that short of thing