1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

People Who Should NOT Have Dolls?

Sep 12, 2007

1. I think I might hint at not getting a BJD or getting a cheap alternative like a cute Pullip or something, but I don't think I'd have the guts/lack of tact (not sure how the situation would come up as to whether it would take guts or a lack of tact. I haven't many friends that want BJDs) to tell them not to get one at all.

It's their money... and like other have said, there's always trying to save the doll once they start getting ignored... and hopefully not lost...

Though I fear my sister ever wanting a BJD. for her previous birthday, we bought the models on her wishlist for Breyer horses, but it's almost her birthday again (it's Nov. 1st) and she hasn't even OPENED some of them and it's not because she's a collector... she got disinterested in the time between making her wishlist for her birthday and her birthday! Then when I bought my Taeyang doll, once she saw him, she wanted to buy a Pullip. I paid for my own Taeyang, but my parents just let her get the Pullip for no apparent reason. Her Pullip came in the mail and then she stopped playing with her after she decided the hair was too hard to deal with! Now it sits on a shelf doing nothing. I've been contemplating kidnapping her Pullip and giving my Taeyang an Eskimo girlfriend, but my sister gets possessive once you want to take it away... Ugh...

If she ever wanted a BJD, it would be an expensive disaster. From now on, all our conversations about BJDs will continue in this fashion:

Sister: Those dolls again?
      Me: Yes! They're creepy! You don't want one! *hiss*

I have no problem telling this to my sister (she kind of accepts that I'm a weirdo)... I don't think I could do the same if I had a friend I didn't want to have a BJD (especially since they like me because I am a weirdo).

2. I know of some people (not IRL) who shouldn't have dolls, form pictures of how the dolls are treated.. (the doll looked like the mouth and eyes were decorated in sharpie, and they mentioned how the eye was falling in on it after the last picture they took of it (and the leg was also out of it's socket)) I feel bad for them, but ,Hey I can't control my friends :P and maybe I could rescue the doll later when they're bored with it?

3. I think if they can afford it, anyone can have a doll. After all, dolls really are just objects.

4. Sometimes it's good to have a healthy disrespect for things. I love my dolls as much as anyone else and occationally remind myself they don't get hungry or cold. We did a doll show and I was so tired no one got unpacked for a couple of days. At that time they were just dolls.

Even the puppeteers for the Muppets have to remind themselves it's okay to treat them like felt and ping pong balls some times. The doll's character is ultimately coming from you and if you have empathy for someone else's dolls that's fine, hopefully you can have the empathy for other people and animals.

If you truely are upset at how someone treats a doll ask if they would treat a baby like that? There are some places where losely strung dolls are ment to mimmick the helplessness of a new born baby.

5. It could help the friend. I had a friend who is very messy and doesn't necissarily take 'good' care of her things at all. BUt she loved my little MSD and asked to 'babysit' him. I had my reservations but in the end she took really good care of him!
      Sometimes, people just need a chance to find something that matters to them so they will take care of it. ANd let's face it, most possessions don't cost 300 to 700 bucks. ^__^

6. Now there's showing a little faith in human nature!

7. In the end it is their money, but as a friend I just wouldn't be an enabler. In the hypothetical situation you posted (blows paycheck and then needs to bum off friends) you can always help remedy the person's squandering by not letting them borrow money from you.

As for the not so excellent care of a doll, well I know plenty of people who own cars who don't take them to get the oil changed every 3000 miles or take the cars in for regular checkups and a car is much bigger expense and sometimes a necessity. My point being, not taking care of your possessions only hurts you. The only time I would step in is if it involves a living breathing thing (i.e. child or animal).

8. I don't know. Really. It depends whether i'm in teh situation or not.

I have a profound respect for everything I own.. (My friends know quite well not to touch my schoolbag, and I hate it when i have people over and they start TOUCHING everything). And, if, example, MAYBE, one day I brought my (soon to arrive) doll to school, and some people I know see it and start asking me questions about it, i would praise him to the end of the universe..xD

But once they exclaim "Holy crap...he's gorgeous!!! Where did you get it?! I'd like one!" I would immediately tell them not to. Just.. Flat no.

"No. You need to be really into these things...you can't just get them out of the blue like that".

If need be, I would say it to my close close friends aswell. If they insist..I would say.. "Fine, get one if you really want one, but if you treat it like nothing after a few weeks/months, I'm taking it off you. You can pretend you gave it to me as a gift". And it would purposefully be a threat.

I mean.. my bag..is a cheap little 20 dollar thing, (Which i drew all over and bought expensive badges and chains for o___x) But i love it with all my heart =D. I never smash it on the ground..I don't allow others to TOUCH it..

But if i see a finely crafted item like a BJD, being sold for nearly a grand..i will definitely speak up. Sure, doll companies care about money..but those creators put their heart and soul into the dolls they make. Clothes aswell. People put their love into outfits, eyes, wigs, clothes, dols, etc. And something that is filled with that much worth shouldn't be just randomly bought like that.

I don't want to name names.. but I saw a completely ruined doll, which some people thought was marvelous. I couldn't understand why. Sure, this person modded it themselves, and it was their design..but...it was...really sad.

I don't know. Really. Why do people feel like that?

I never want to sell any of my dolls. Never ever. I get so sad when people sell dolls because they "didn't bond with it". I know this is not their fault, and at least they had the decency to sell it to a new owner and home instead of hiding it away in their closet or something..but those kind of things cannot be helped.

It is such a shame that doll stores aren't seen anywhere. I guess they cost to much to set up in every country...but if they spent that money, people would see how much work would go into these dolls, then they wouldn't be so inclined to purchase one on impulse.

I know it's their money...but I have strong views on everything. It's their money, but it's not their doll (yet, in a sense).

This should apply for many items.

My mobile phone even, has seen better days, and i wish my mother had never given me one. I have even told her "after this plan runs out, dont get me another".

They are just things I believe...and...yeah ==. It really hurts inside. I don't laugh at people and how they look...I feel sorry for their belongings.

9. Are we concerned about a friend having money troubles, or a friend who will ignore a BJD?

It's worth it to have a talk with a friend about money if you are concerned about her being in debt. But it has to come out of genuine concern, not just because you want to lecture her.

As far as a friend "ignoring" a doll... Well, it's a doll, not a puppy. Its feelings won't be hurt. She can buy it and stuff it in the closet for all I care.

10. I think anyone should be able to buy anything they want with their money. Many people are bad with their money, and our society encourages instant gratification. I have friend who is given $25000 every other month and she spends about $500 a day on stuff she isn't even all that interested in. If she wants to buy dolls thats her choice. The playing field in life is never even and I would concentrate on what you get out of your dolls instead of what someone else may or may not get out of them.

11. Hmm... while that might be annoying (I know I get annoyed when people are "inspired" by me when it comes to that) at the end of the day it's her check and her money. Hopefully she cares for her doll and isn't just getting one because it looks cool or because you have one (some?). :|

12. I say it's their money and they should be able to do what they like with it!

13. I am with the "its their money to do with what they please" crew.
      I feel sorry for the poor doll but ultimately it is not alive. If this friend (was a close one) will be broke munching on sofa crumbs for a month after buying a doll, I'd try to help then get their prioritys in order, but only if this was like a super best friend, but then I would probably have them do it to learn from their mistakes.

Now if this friend wants to buy a living thing (animal, like a puppy, ferret, ect) then I'd definately have to intervene if I know this person is irresponsible and buying it just as a fad.

*Jen

14. Yup, it's their money and they should decide on how to spend it~
      But if you think they're not ready, tell them, it's like saying, "You're not fat in that sequin antique white laced ribbon dress." when it looks horrible on them.

But I'm a blunt person to be honest ;) If you want an honest answer, I will give you an honest opinion, although it may hurt the others feeling :doh

15. Oh no...That sounds just like me...Except I don't get paid for anything and other people buy things for me..I really want to make my own doll family and my mother is starting me off with one but...She is working really hard to come up with the money (working overtime alot) and I really do feel bad about it..I am afraid I might lose interest in it or he will be damaged beyond no end if I get it..
      Should I really get a doll? Please be honest.

On Topic: I guess they have a right to a doll if they buy it..It IS their money afterall...Even though money could go to better things like charity.

16. My mother in law knows nothing about BJDs, she just likes the look of them. She's not going to make photostories, buy expensive clothes, or anything like this.

But I bought her a lovely Cherishdoll Eileen (before the sale! OMFGBBQ!!!) just for her to sit on a shelf and look at. For people who believe in dolls having souls, this might seem like the doll is 'wasted' or will get 'lonely'. But my mum thought the dolls were pretty, so I bought her one to look at.

Would anyone say she should not have the doll? That it would have been better to go to someone who will love it more?

That doll is going to stay immaculate forever, it'll never get a scuff on it. Someone who loves the doll more would be more likely to damage it.

17. As long as they don't buy a doll purely for the purpose of desolating it and posting pictures of it burning and such then anyone should be welcome to buy a doll. That's what i think anyway.

18. If the person truly likes the doll then I'm fine with it... Though if they lose intrest I'd offer to take it off their hands : ) It's the people who get it for stupid reason that shouldn't have them. Like my stalker for example he only wants one case I have one and he thinks it'd make me like him better. He shouldn't have one. He thinks it's a waste of money but says since I got one he'll get one. If I could've punched him through the internet I would've. Since I couldn't I just told him off -_-

19. I don't think anybody shouldn't have a doll, but sometimes it's hard to see what some owners have done to their dollies. I just feel like buying them from the people and fixing the dolls back up sometimes. ;)

20. Hm.

It's their money, and their dolls. If they have the means to buy them... then it isn't my business to tell them not too. After all, my friends think my dolls are a waste of money - but they can't, and won't stop me. They may think that money should go to other things, but they don't have a right to tell me what to do.

Likewise, they don't have a right to stop me from purchasing things, because I'm irresponsible with them. CD's come to mind, in my case. I'm horrible with my CDs. But friends don't discourage me from getting them just because they'll end up scratched sooner then later. They just shrug, and burn the CD within the first 24 hours of me buying them. XD

I think you should buy the doll yourself. You'll enjoy it more because of the sacrifice you made. And if you decide not to keep it, you can sell it and make back that money you spent. But it's rewarding to wait and wait and wait, and then finally get the doll you want. :)