1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Pets and BJDs - Positive and Negative Encounters

Dec 18, 2012

1. One cat and two feathery little dinosaurs (Well, budgies who *think* they're dinosaurs, anyway. :lol: ) here... None of them have the least bit of interest in the dolls. As far as the beasties are concerned, my resin minions might as well not exist, which works out well for everybody.

2. I have three cats, and none of them are really interested in my dolls. Sure, over the past years there have been the odd time or two when they came a bit too close for comfort, trying to chew hands/shoes, but just shooing them once always worked and I've never had any real problems.

3. I have a dog and aside from some curious sniffing, he really doesn't show much interest in my dolls. If anything, he gets jelous when I play with them and insists on sitting next to them in the hopes of getting attention. All of my box openings now have to include one picture with him in it because he is always there when I open them wonder what I have that is taking my attention away from them XD

4. I have a cockatiel and a cat. Once the cat had sniffed it once she's no longer interested and doesn't care. She doesn't even care about my hot toys. My bird on the other hand is like 'MUST. KILL. EVERYTHING!" so she's not allowed near my dolls LOL

5. We have 3 cats and one dog. 2 cats and the dog smell them every time, when I put the dolls to downstairs, or he backyard, cats sometimes lie on them on sofa or anywhere. And all of them are always soooo jealous, when I touch a doll in their presence. But they don't harm them, 'cause they know that I lock them out of the house if they do anything with them, (or with my materials to cosplay...)
      Third cat just ignores them. And also ignores everybody and everything.

6. A hard of hearing white cat and a double-lion-head bunny. The cat, Kizmet, believes the majority of doll wigs are his toys and will try and steal the wigs if he thinks he can get away with it. To be fair, the wigs he steals are made from mohair or actual fur so I can sort of see why he believes they're his toys. Aside from wig thievery, he doesn't pay them any attention. Although, if I leave a box open after taking out the doll, he's in there quick as you please and declaring that as his new bed *rolls eyes*.

Smudge (the bunny) has never been near any of my dolls. She mostly spends her time in her cage (the doors are always left open so she can come and go as she pleases) or in an enclosed cat tent she bullied the cat out of using. She never leaves the living room though as she feels unsafe on the hardwood floor throughout the apartment and the only carpet is in the living room.

7. I have six cats and a dog, the dog is well mannered but I had a nightmare that she chewed through my Alice and after that I don't let the dog near her. I have six cats of varrying temper and with some I could leave my dolls unattended for hours with kitty company but some of them aren't aloud in a ten foot perimeter of my dolls.

8. I have a cat that, luckily enough, seems to stay away from my dolls. I'm sure she's still close enough to cause issues with those who are allergic but it's not enough that I'm constantly picking hair off my dolls' clothing.

9. I have three dogs (2 Corgis & a Husky), I'd let my older two dogs near my dolls but definitely not my youngest Corgi, Zelda, since she's quite a chewer!

10. Five cats of my own, and three dogs of my husband's -- the dogs are very destructive so aren't really allowed near anything important. They ate a couch, no lie. But my cats kind of dictate my life and are generally well behaved, so as such are allowed to do whatever. If a wig is left out, the younger cats will snatch it and play with it, but they seem to 100% ignore my dolls (and wigs on said dolls) so I have no problem with them being around. I think dolls are fairly uninteresting to them compared to the ludicrous amount of stuff I buy for them (I've definitely spent more on cat toys/cat furniture/cat everything than I have on my dolls...) so they just kind of sniff and go about their way.

11. I have a 19 year old cockatiel who likes to watch me mess around with the dolls from her play perch but she doesn't leave her play area. I don't trust that she wouldn't try to investigate things though... and one of my cats likes to be around then but doesn't do anything and the other is banned because she chews, knocks things over and has stolen multiple doll items in the past... ("KleptoCat")

12. There are two cats in my household (I don't consider them mine - "my" cats passed away a few years ago), and I keep them farrrr away from my dolls. I don't really know how they'd actually react to the dolls themselves, but there's a lot of black going on and the cats have a lot of hair going on. Not happening.

13. I have a cat, a snake, two fish, and three snails.
      The fish and the snails obviously stay in their tanks. Haha
      I've put my snake around Fitz, my 70cm doll, to try to take some pictures, but gosh darn my snake is so wiggly.
      He's a corn snake that does not know how to be still for pictures. Hahaha
      My cat is a beautiful troublemaker so he doesn't really get to interact with my dolls.
      He knocked over my yosds a few weeks ago and one of them got a big mark right on his nose.

14. I have a shitzu and two cats who are kind of on the kitteny side still. When I started collecting dolls I had two older cats who were very well behaved and didn't give two craps about my dolls. They never bothered anything at all, and dolls fell in that category. Then one passed away and the dog came along. She also doesn't bother anything. She's not the brightest dog ever but she does seem to know what's hers and what isn't without ever having to be told.

Gozer (cat #1) came along, while Rocky (old kitty) was still alive, and Rocky was the best behaved of any cat ever, so Gozer learned how to be good from him. She has never acted like she even notices the dolls. Or much else. The biggest danger from her is accidentally knocking them off a shelf.

Rocky passed away last year, and I got Peter.

Peter is the kind of cat who believes everything is his. Everything. And he's a thief. And he's super-sneaky. You have to watch him all the time because he'll act like he's not bothering things, then suddenly he's gone and he's taken parts with him. He's mostly into wigs and metal parts (anything shiny), so restringing is a chore since he not only steals s-hooks but he likes to "help". He's also a chewer and wantonly destructive....and he's just randomly reached out and bit doll hands. Luckily he didn't leave a mark.....
      Oh he likes to chew shoes, both human and dolls. He loves shoes. He also puts his actual toys in things, so they end up in the boxes or drawers used to store doll clothes.

I keep waiting for him to grow out of this phase.....but he's going to be 1 next week and there's no sign.

Basically I'm a cat-before-dolls person, so I just kind of shoo him away from them if he's got that "I'm totally going to steal this when you're not looking or maybe I'll just bite it" look. Or I play with him. He loves attention. Since he's never actually damaged anything, I don't worry about him too much. He's easily distracted with a puff ball.

15. I have a cat, who isn't allowed near doll things, and 8 reptiles, all of whom are in tanks. The tegu has huge claws and a tail that's stronger than my noodle arms, and this description makes her sound dangerous, but I actually find her adorable. I don't, however, let her near dolls. The geckos are all more look, don't touch reptiles. The veiled chameleon is huge and cranky, so he's a no. As is the panther chameleon, cause Loki's a sweetie, but he's very large and wouldn't be able to sit comfortably on/near even my big dolls. The ball python is afraid of dolls. I have one doll+reptile pic of my friend's iple Carina and my very well behaved baby carpet Python.

16. I have tropical fish (in their aquarium) who like watching the television and 1 labrador Retriever. My dog lurves plushies not dolls lol :lol:so I don't have to worry about him taking much of an interest in my dolls however they are either in my glass display cabinet or in their boxes so he'd have little chance to get close to them anyway.

17. I've taught my dogs not to pay attention to my dolls. I could leave them on the floor and my two dogs may sniff them but otherwise would not mess with them. They identify my dolls as random objects I like to touch, I think, and nothing of interest. Though my puppy was jealous of my dolls for a while. :3 My two kittens, however, are insane. I can't leave my dolls out with them, mostly because of the kitten's interest in my girl's long hair. I bottle fed the kittens from when they were about two weeks old, so they're very young..only about 4 months I think. So they're both little butts and knock things over. My little black one, Azula, has gotten her paws in my girl doll's hair a couple times but I have not left them unsupervised, so nothing bad has happened yet.

18. While my house has quite the assortment of pets, there are only a couple that go into the room where my dolls are kept. One of them is a seventeen year old cat who's quite grouchy and enjoys sleeping on my bed, and she's never had any interest at all in my dolls even though she could probably reach them on my dresser if she really wanted to. I've even laid a smaller doll against her for a photo and she gave it a sniff then carried on with her nap. I'm glad she's so nice with them!

My other pets don't seem to feel the same way about them. My Meyers parrot is absolutely terrified of all dolls. He doesn't mind hanging out in the room on his perches, but if I even try to get a doll close to him he leans away and will fly if it gets close enough. I also have a dog, but she's not allowed to be anywhere close to them as she chewed off all my Barbie's hands and feet when I was a kid. :sigh

19. We have two cats. One of them /loves/ the dolls. If we pull one out, he wants to sit beside it or put his head in its lap. He's very respectful and sweet (I think he's figured out being cute with our dolls means Mommies give him an overwhelming amount of attention).

Our other cat, who I love dearly, however /hates/ our dolls and cannot be trusted in the same way. We're at least at the point with her where they can be out and she doesn't beeline towards them to shove them off tables to their doom.

20. my cat Gunner is quite good with my dolls although he does get jealous when i work with them [take photos]
      so he decided to be part of the photo shoot. its also the only time he'll sit nicely for photo's.
      he's such a needy cat lol XD
      [​IMG]