1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Pets and BJDs - Positive and Negative Encounters

Dec 18, 2012

1. Shiro1kyo, your cat is adorable! <3

I have two black and white American shorthair cats, a golden retriever and a miniature pig. ^_^ I generally keep my dolls displayed in a room where none of them are allowed just to be cautious, so they don't get the chance to interact with my dolls very much. Blaire and Sundae (my cats) don't seem to really care very much about my dolls whenever I bring them out to photograph or anything. They would much rather nap on the couch than bother to even so much as look at my dolls. :P Odin (my dog) seems to be a little curious about them and focuses intensely on what I'm doing when the dolls come out, but I don't let him get too close to them or would even leave my dolls alone with him unattended because he has a tendency to think anything smaller than a cat is a toy for him. ^^; My pig Bijou is also not allowed to get too close to my dolls, because she's a little piggy with mood swings. xD Sometimes she'll just sniff things and try to taste them to see if the object of her interest is edible or not, and then walk away, and other times she'll try scraping at it with her hooves and pushing it along the ground roughly with her snout, and I just don't want to take that chance with my dolls. ^^;

2. My pets are all small - birds and small furries - so they don't interact with the dolls much. However, my late degu Zaphod did introduce himself politely to Fawn upon her arrival:

[​IMG]Fawn meets Zaphod by Beth Simmons, on Flickr

3. @LadyMadrigal Oh my, what a cute degu! I'm glad he was so sweet, that's such a lovely photo. :)

4. My dog is obsessed with them. Sniffs them every chance she can. hasn't tried to lick or bite them though.

My cat isn't allowed in the same room as them.

5. @LadyMadrigal Aww such a sweet picture!

My rodents have never been really interested in the dolls. They might sniff them but I assume they realize very quickly they're not alive and they're not food so they're not interested.

My mother's cockatiels were terrified of the BJD, but they tend to be afraid of a lot.

6. So far, nothing has happened between my dolls and my cat, Murphy. He tends to stay away and I keep them by my desk. He knows better than to jump on our desks.

7. So things have changed since I answered, my well-behaved cat suddenly passed away, and I now have two less-than-well-behaved kittens. They haven't been allowed around the dolls much yet, since we're still working on training limits, but I suspect I won't be using nice open shelves for a while...

8. My dog hates my dolls, mostly because when Basil first arrived, I tried to pose the doll with my dog, and it freaked him out far too much! Now my dog just stays away from my dolls, and I can live with that.

9. My cats shows absolutely no respect for my dolls. I had to find a shelf where they can't jump onto to store the dolls so that they couldnt go and push them onto the floor. My cats are not very patient when i am taking pictures and they often interfere >< at least they dont intentionally try to destroy my dolls, they just like to make them fall

10. I love these pet stories they're fun and cute!

I have 5 parakeets (aka bugdies) and most of my BJDs aren't around my pets except for my lastest one. One of the 5 birds is my emotional support animal and when he's in the cage he doesn't care about the doll what so ever. But once outside of his cage and I try to place him near the doll he glides to the floor or runs arcoss my bed. Of course there was this one time I was play with Endyimion and cuddling him while surfing the internet. When my bird, Nom Noms starts screeching at me. At first I don't pay any attention to Nom Noms but then he get louder when I finally look at him he's doing his "look I'm a cute bird and let me out." So then I let Nom Noms out and he's all happy because I'm paying attention to him and not Endyimion. I found this soo cute and funny.

11. My cat is really curious of them, whenever I play with my dolls he always comes around and sniffs them, although he never touches them. I think it's just because it's something new, but I'm thankful he doesn't feel the need to mess with them! He never does with things I like (drawings, sewing materials, etc) so I like to think he somehow understands I would be sad if he did (or that he would get in trouble lol)
      We'll see how it goes with the 70cm boy though, since I only had tinies/YOSD sizes before xD

12. My kitten doesn't mess with them unless they are wigged. the hanging of the hair gets her excited and she had to swat at and pull on the hair

13. I have two cats that moved in with me after I started collecting dolls. I was sure that they'd try to steal the wigs, but so far they're pretty indifferent. They like hunting each other in the maze of boxes that come out when I'm changing doll outfits and wigs. I still keep the doll girls away from the kitty girls, but at least I don't have to worry about pets aggressively trying to kill my stuff.

14. Two out of three of the cats can be huge pests when it comes to dolls. They will often find ways to mess with the dolls when they want something - usually attention or the satisfaction of seeing their food dish refilled. The silly things act as if they never get fed.

My last cat, who passed away a little over a year ago, was quite naughty with the dolls. He was very needy and would get into my doll things if he could. He left bite marks in a nice pair of boots I have.

15. Our pets has always been curious about the dolls. And when I'm outside taking photos of my BJD's I've noticed almost everytime my sister's cat comes around and tries to hug my dolls or trying to ruin my photoshoot sessions xD

Other than that, our pets has always been okay with dolls hugging or hanging around them :3

16. my cat loves my doll she would sniff them or lick them and soemtimes bite them :XD: i usually take her away if i am doing a photo shot cuz she intrupts me a lot XD

17. So many funny stories. I move the dolls and talk for them...and have the dolls pet my little chihuahua. She's not quite sure what to think. She knows it's humanoid, and that it's not quite right. It's funny to watch her expressions.

18. As far as I know, the dogs (2; one medium, one small) and cat all pay no mind to dolls, apart from the usual "what are you holding" sniff they'll do with anything. The dogs are players, not chewers, so the dolls (Who are not soft, do not squeak, and do not fly across the room-- hopefully) aren't of much interest. Still, I'm not confident enough of that to leave them alone together!

The animals are really only a problem because they have no shame about plowing down anything that's between my hands and them. :roll:

I'm curious if they'll feel differently about the doll I have on the way. My current doll is a 60 cm fantasy-colored-resin doll; my new is a 66 cm NS doll. Update to follow.

19. My older cat Zippy (10) couldn't care less since he's mostly a big lump that sleeps all day, but my younger cat Pogostick (7) behaves like a child and likes to see what he can get away with. I don't think he'd damage my dolls since he's settled down quite a bit from when he was a baby, but I can see him claiming boxes and batting around glass eyes that can roll away.

20. My cat is a real oddball by nature. I'm thankful she doesn't do anything to damage my dolls like chew on them, snatch or groom wigs, or constantly knock them over. She seems to most respect them. But...I think she does get a little jealous of them when I'm giving them attention. She'll sometimes give me van odd look when I'm handling them, and she loves to get involved in some of my photo shoots. She's gotten herself involved in a few while I was in-between setting poses.

My mom's cats, however...if they're in the room, and I'm picking the dolls up and moving their joints, those two are away from the scene and elsewhere pronto.