1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Pets for your BJDs / finding or making one

Jan 16, 2005

1. I think I have the perfect thing! My art store sells those artist models, made out of wood, fully posable, IN ANIMALS! They have dogs and cats,and are to scale and everything, at least for MSDs. If they aren't at your art store, maybe you could get one on line? I don't have a doll yet, but I got one. It doesn't take care of the fur, but at least it's posable :)

2. I've seen some SD-scale posable plush dogs at Target and Fred Myers... I thought pretty hard about buying the black poodle for Tien Jen. It's about the right size to be a Miniature poodle for him. It would be close to Standard poodle size for an MSD. Also, Bryer makes posable plush horses that are the perfect size for MSDs. They have pretty stout internal armatures and can stand and pose with a doll on their back. (Nezumitoo's daughter's doll, Persephone, has one.)

That said, I do wish sometimes that my guys' pets (A cat, a fawn, a sleeping dog, a panda, an owl, and a whole horde of foxes... All of which came from here.) were posable. It would be really nice if Suzhu could pose as freely as Seimei does or if Jimaru could curl up on Crane's lap.

3. I find them their pets--it doesn't bother me that the animals are non bjd, and I managed to find Liam a very nice looking cat. If you look around enough, there are some nice animals out there.

4. munkie has the baby twin mice from calico critters. they aren't super realistic mice but i think they work for her, as pippitans aren't uber-real looking bjd anyway.

5. My kids have gerbils, which I got from the Littlest Pet Shop range. It doesn't bother me much that they're not posable, since all they do is sit in the kids' hands or on their shoulders/heads.

6. I use my old childhood toys as pets for my bjd's. Then again I had odd tastes in toys... mostly dinosaurs. Rawr!

7. For those who don't know, "Michaels" carries itty bitty teddy bears that would be appropriate as a pet, I suppose... they also carry doll sized hats *grin*

8. Luka has claimed one of my small Cthuluhus as his...but he insists it's his "minion". (I just wish they all had armatures like the Narlotep and the blue one)

9. I was thinking of fur just for more variety/possibility. We had a hairless guinea pig once! :)

10. I have never seen that in a store here, and wouldn't have thought of it. Modifying one of those does sound perfect! I will look around online, thanks for the suggestion.

11. I want a Fluffbeast for Keikai... He really wants one, but I can't find one anywhere =\

12. *laughs* As acexkeikai said just above, I think fluffbeasts are a good answer to the posing problem -- just because the little things have a tail and no other limbs! Just being a ball made of fluff adds to the little thing's charm, somehow.

13. I actually have some kind of a fluffbeast :) I'ts not the same as TEH fluffbeasts though, it's some kind of mobile hang thingie... but it's fluffy, it has the same face and a pink/purple tail :)

I still gotta make pictures of it... *makes mental note*

14. Well, I make mini plushie companions for dolls - mostly though, to date they've been either stuffed animals for the dolls, or fabric dolls to give the doll their own doll.. heh. ;) I think the only one I had was a chibi wyvern...

Anyhow! :)
      If you are looking specifically for run of the mill pets, say cats and dogs, I think you've gotten some great suggestions already. You -can- also sew your own, and give it a posable wire armature. I think if you wanted it ball jointed like the Dolls though, your best bet is, as someone suggested, an artist's mini mannequin. As for how to give it fur -- well, there's a couple of ideas.

1- you could try and just fashion one out of faux fur, almost like a fursuit. A fair amount of work, and not as easy as it sounds.

2. Go to a dollar store, see if you find a stuffed cat/dog that you like, very carefully undo the stitching and try and fit it over the armature. You will probably have to re-stuff some of it to give him a little weight though. ;)

Hope that helps!

15. let me state just for the record that my dolls like their hydrocephalic petrified pets just fine ;)

16. It wouldn't be realistic but use model clay or something but have pipe cleaners/wire in the joints -shrug-
      I'm not good at that sort of stuff.
      My doll has a teddybear that came with him from Angel Region <2

17. My Keibhan has a little psudo-plush beanie-babie that I'd won at a festival the saturday before he arrived... It isn't particularly posable in the same what that he is, nor is it amazingly realistic, but he has me convinced that it is a real tiger and not, in fact a plushie.

Hey... If Calvin and Hobbs could do it...

18. I used handmade ones from Ebay that I randomly found, more like toys than proper pets and the littlest pet shop have some very cute cats :)

19. I use my old TY beanie babies. My Nara is surrounded by puppies.

20. This might've been asked before and if so, i'm sorry but I couldn't find any previous threads mentioning it.

Do your dolls have any pets? If so, what kind of pets do they have?

I'm thinking of buying a little dog or cat for my girls but I have no idea where to buy one.