1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Pin head syndrome

Aug 13, 2011

1. [​IMG]

Sometimes it isn't the head, it's the neck. Here the Raurencio Studio Calian on a DollZone 70cm would be not too bad (minus the Resin Fail and a bit of Chin Fail) if it wasn't for the giraffe thing going on here. But I put a DiM Event Elf on there and it was fine, because the Elf has a big pumpkin head and large ears that sort of balanced the neck. The dolls that I had the biggest pinhead problem with were Souldolls. They are just ..tiny. Like msd heads on small SD bodies. Again Souldoll has long-necked bodies, which doesn't help the problem. I've noticed some of the Soom heads on the Idealian bodies again have neck issues--that Idealian neck is like a tree trunk--the heads are a nice size, but the necks are just ginormous for the heads.

2. I... have never freaking noticed this XD Maybe it's just because of the dolls I own, maybe it's just because I don't care, I'm not sure. But maybe it's because once a doll is wigged and clothed, I don't notice it anymore? Food for thought...

...though my Angelheim boy does have ridiculous shoulders in proportion to his head! :lol:

3. It's to counteract the traditional bobblehead-shape of less-mature dolls... a smaller head looks more human, and the dolls who have the pinhead problem are usually aiming for the supermature male look.

Dollmore's Glamor Models have the effect on purpose, I think! - They're extremely stylized, almost distorted, like a manga (seme hero type = little head, ginormous hands, 5-mile legs). So their individual body features look freakish when viewed separately, but they come off wonderfully when viewed whole, of-a-piece. Just like real-life models who are sort of weirdlooking in person. It can be offputting at first until your eyes get used to them; Glamor Models are some big giant far-out-looking guys.

I never found Iplehouse's small-headed big boys to have the pinhead problem. I think it's because their sculptural style favors large features, even on a small head... wide mouths, large eyes. It seems to balance things. You don't realize how small their eyes actually are until you shop for them (like 10-12 mms for faces like Lee & Luo). Akando is practcally a chibi (14-16mm) so I love the way he looks on the Superhero body. <3

Those Souldoll dudes do have a real problem, though-- huge thick corded neck & huge knuckly hands, both of which are larger (and seem sculpted by a rougher hand) than the small delicate refined faces they favor. ^^ I do love Chiron, but he could palm his own head, like a volleyball!

4. Hmmm I'd say that both my SDs are on the pin-ish headed side. (I have a Lati and an Iplehouse SID). Personally, I'm alright with small and big heads. I own the smaller heads (they all can share eyes with my MSD, I like 12 mm in all of them and they photograph better together) and I've dollysat my friend's dolls with bigger heads. The wigs help make the heads look bigger I think, too. Especially the fur ones. The only time, though, that I'm alright with bigger heads is if the body doesn't make them look bobble-headed too much. I think there are some big heads with okay bodies out there...

There are some dolls out there that I can't get over because how big their heads look on smaller bodies and I get distracted by that xD (sometimes clothing helps for the doll). But if they're, the body and the head, is stylized like Doll Chateau--actually I'm not sure if they qualify for big he small body for 'bigger' head thing--I'm alright with it. I actually really like the girl body and the head in comparison to it.

And I do agree what others have said about the hands and feet. I realized at first that my SID has huge hands (And feet and everything minus the head hahaha)! But I think I'm alright with it now. I think they match my character as my Lati's hands matches his character (that and if they held hands, I think it makes the Lati has a certain grace, I suppose. And it's kind of cute. lol).

The only "problem" that I've gotten is if my boys want to hang out with my friend's dolls with bigger heads. Then the pictures really look off sometimes! xD

But of course, just like anyone who has posted here, these are my own opinions! So! If you like small heads or big heads, regardless of what the body is in comparison to them, go a head ^^.

5. I tend to have the opposite problem, the head looking to big and the arms are completely out of proportion.

6. I dont like pin heads at all. They just look way too tiny when comparing to the body and it bothers me a lot. That`s actually second thing that I`m most picky about, right after nose. I rather the head to be more on the chubby side. Chiwoo syndrome much? :lol:

7. Whenever I change my Senior Delf Cian's clothes I'm shocked because his small, cute head looks so misplaced on his senior delf body. I can't blame his head for this effect. It's just the body that is too big and muscular for him. I know that muscular, big dolls became very popular in the past few years, but I can't follow this trend. I prefer the more or less skinny bodies, because they suit so much better to most BJDs and with smaller, skinnier bodies is the pinhead effect almost invisible.

8. (I'd be so tempted to put the Cian head on a regular Delf body, though you might have to do WS and a bit of blushing in pink to match--the Cian head is beautiful! Such a sweet sculpt.)

9. Opposite problem for me. I cannot stand all the bobbleheads. When the Feeple65 came out I was so disappointed. I had been hoping for a big Chicline look but instead got narrow shoulders and those darn round heads. I love my Delf the Moon but he is a floating head right now because that head was way too big for the small Delf body. Wanted Abadon for a long time but could not stand him on the Senior body. If I ever get one I will put him on the Super Senior body.
      Saint looks perfect to me and so does my Idealian.
      I do not want my dolls to look like elongated chibis. I want them to look realistic, stylised anime like Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo or have that seme-look JennyNemesis was talking about.

10. I just looked up at my "top floor" and realized that Tanwoo and Niari (Shiwoos) are seated next to Gourry (a YID Iple something or other on the muscle body). Yep, he looks like a pinhead next to big old Type One Niari and yet, each of them looks perfect to me.

Variety. Spice. That : )

But every one of the statements made previous is valid, too, which makes the entirety all the more fascinating.

It's one of the most interesting discussions I've read in ages. It re-raises many thoughts for me that were percolating in the back of my head when I was getting whatever the last degree was (my obsession of that moment was the language of comics/manga). Hmm.

Here's a random thought. Why is it that at least 80% of the minimees ever made do not look proportional on ANY body? I lucked out and found that with an enormous wig and a big old Souldoll body (the first type) I could make Beast Vincent work -- but only barely. Is it the weird front-to-back dimensions of the heads? They always look like they will be just fine, in the sculpting process, but then look largely gigantic on anything like a matching sized body.

Thoughts on that?

11. for me, to be considered pinheaded, it must be SMALLER than what a real person would have. and I have never had this problem ^_^
      and I prefer small heads than bubble head :sweat I have a migidoll Ryu + Delf body &#3232;_&#3232; it really made me twitch. awful proportions are awful and except making him wear 3 peel of shirt/coat/etc, there isn't anything I can do to hide it!
      though it kinda scare me when I hear about a SD doll that wear 7-8 wigs .___. it must look really weird bald! (big face with tiny brain xD) BUT since the wig cover that and my dolls always have their wig on, it doesn't bother me :3

edit:
      that pretty much sums up what I think ^^

12. Go to a gallery/museum and look at classical sculpture with real human proportions. Find one with a body about the size of an SD doll and you will realise that these dolls are actually extremely stylised, and their heads are huge... even the 'small ones'... :XD: Although parts of these dolls are quite interchangeable between companies, there are many different scales and proportions out there, so trying to put together two pieces sculpted by different people with different styles can end up with strange results...

13. I prefer head not too small and not too big. I got pin head SD size girl and I found it looks weird under clothes because the shoulder looks way too wide.
      Also difficult to find wigs, MSD size too small, small SD size too big :doh

14. I greatly prefer bobble-headed dolls. Personally, I don't like the proportions most real people have, and my goal with my dolls is never realism anyway. I do sometimes admire other people's "pin-headed" dolls in photos, but I know I would never buy those dolls for myself. Part of my fondness for bobble-heads may be due to previously collecting Pullips. I'll admit that before I got my first doll, I considered trying to put an SD head on a MSD body. I've also always been envious of real people with big heads and small necks/shoulders. I don't think the pinheadedness is really a problem, though, since some people obviously like this aesthetic (otherwise the Chic-Line would have failed), and there are plenty of "bobble-heads" for those of us who don't.

15. Oh man I have a big problem with this too, particularly when the head is very childlike, as in the Senior Delfs. It just looks terribly absurd.

The few of you who mentioned not liking that, you could try to put them on a Jdelf body? Then the resin'll match.

Big hands are my other pet peeve. My doll's first body was a delf and I loved the small and delicate hands. Ever since then, I've been aghast at how big the hands are on so many standard dolls like SD13 and others. Crazy! It's actually been a major deciding factor on the bodies I buy for my hybrids. I'd rather err on the side of too small hands than too large hands.. they're already stylized so *shrug*

16. I already considered doing this. Thank you for giving me advice and encouragement! I should give it a try.

17. I think because of the towering headcap. The facial area can be the right proportion, but put the headcap and a wig on and the whole thing looks hydrocephalic. The other issue is that since the heads are very realistic, the wrong head/body proportion hits a jarring note. I often put wigs on them headcapless-- looks a lot better.

18. I think it's in part the shape and style of the heads -- larger headed abjds like Chiwoo have rounder shorter heads, while a lot of the minis being portraits of actual people, have completely different face shapes. That leaves less wiggle room in terms of the head really looking right on the body. My two MNMs don't wear larger wigs than my other SD sized dolls, but they are shaped quite differently.

Another thing that creates an issue is that many abjd bodies are fairly narrow through the shoulders. I often feel like you can get away with the height, but the narrowness tends to stick out. All that said, I love my MNMs, and will soon be getting another :celebrate. However, when it comes to priorities and bodies and all that, I tend to be more lenient about their proportions and focus on other things, since they are hard to get right, and I'm trying to keep my SD sized dolls in a particular range in terms of height.

I have noticed however, that having hands that are not too small (some bodies really have dainty hands) can help make proportions look better, and that clothing can help make bodies look less narrow if that helps anyone.

19. For me, it's not the size of hands that really bother me, but hands that have the *bend* point not at the wrist joint but at the forearm, because of a wrist joint piece that is either fused onto or is actually part of the hand. It makes the hand look abnormally large and bent gestures rather strange.

I was going to take exception to the comment that feet should be the length of the forearm until I went and measured mine - huh, imagine that, she's right!

The EID heads look a decent size but they also have very strong chins and wide faces. The chicline dolls, however, without wigs look extremely pinheaded to me. Their faces are very slender and don't project much, and I wish they were just the slightest bit larger.

I think head sizes (and perception thereof) also depends on the eye size. It's only relatively recently that dolls have been made with smaller eye sizes, and yet, how many of us still have the experience every so often of looking at a really nice human face and thinking, but the eyes are sooo tiny.....

But, as people have noted, ideals are just that, and there's a lot of human variation. There's an old saying from Hollywood that actors with bigger than average heads do very well on the big screen. Conversely, put on some pounds if your head is smaller than average, and see how fast you need to pouff out your hair or look pinheaded!

20. This thread is so much fun! I just got a wig with more volume for my Masterful Kasi Dan (on layaway) to fight an eventual "pinhead syndrome"! I've read so much about his supposed oddities by now that I can say I am absolutely sure I totally want him no matter what.
      I was looking for this, to quote from above :
      Now I'm even more excited.