1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Why Do You Collect?

Jun 1, 2020

1. 4) long time collector, definitely! It’s crazy I’ve been collecting for so long—-I had everything from porcelain dolls to cherry merry muffin and even American dolls. I’ve collected bjds for a while now too but within the past couple of years I’ve finally entered the social part of collecting.

2. Number one reason for collecting them is creating; I enjoy creating new characters or bringing an old one to life. Photography is just something I enjoy to bond with my dolls as well as share them with everyone.

3. For me it’s a mix of 1,2,6,7, and of course reason number 8 for me is the dolls are gorgeous! I like having them sit on my desk for easy access. It’s much easier to get the playtime I want when they sit at arms reach.

4. I am new to the hobby but what drew me in was all the new avenues for crafting. I have worked in youth theatre making sets, props, and costumes. I have also had a lifelong interest in miniatures, doing a lot of stuff in 1/12 scale. So my dolls are another size to hone my craft in! My dolls never miss a rehersal or decide to cut their hair during tech week, but my human actors will generally stand in one place without toppling over, so I think it's a toss up in terms of who is easier to work with!

I also love that the bjd hobby comes with a passionate community of people who love crafting and don't think I'm weird because my dolls have names!

5. My "why" was really that I just love dolls. Full stop.

There was a time when I didn't like dolls at all..... and then I know the "moment" in my life where my opinion changed, and I started to find ones that brought me such joy. Very soon after (at a very young age) I started to sculpt my own out of clay. I've also always drawn people & comics, so my artistic interests ended up being well aligned and inspirational to each other.

When I was younger I remember learned about ball jointed dolls, mixed in with cosplay and anime figure discussions, but the BJD hobby was just so out of my reach cost-wise. Now that I have them, I am *blown away* by the fact that I found such a wonderful vessel for creating, crafting and imagination!! It's enormously important to me now that I can utilize my dolls as fashion and crafting inspiration - but even if that weren't the case, I would definitely still have dolls :)

6. 3 and 4 mostly! I’ve collected dolls all my life, and still have some off topic dolls, but discovering BJDs was even more exciting because I like the fact that they’re completely customisable, and that’s why I started shelling certain pre-existing characters as dolls.

7. 1 and 3 mostly. I love writing and I find taking my dolls out for photoshoots or even just looking for accessories and props, can be pretty inspiring!

8. 7) Creating - I originally got into doll hobby because I wanted to become a doll clothing designer. It's a dream that I hope to bring into reality one day.

9. 3 and 7 - characters and bringing them to life through creativity all the way!

10. I collect because;
      1. I like collecting things, it is a serotonin boost. I feel complete and satisfied when I collect things such as: seashells found on the beach, tarot cards, plushies, vinyl dolls, BJDs, music vinyl's, posters, pins, jewelry, porcelain teacups, trinket boxes, paintings, medals, Studio Ghibli movies, minerals and crystals and much more. I am a crazy collector.
      2. Creativity, I am an artist and having BJD's boosts my creativity and my desire to create and imagine.
      3. Learning new crafts, this is similar to number 2, BJD's have given me an opportunity to learn many crafts like sewing, painting doll faces, making tiny jewelry and accessories, writing, photography and much more.
      4. Inclusion, I feel like I belong in a welcoming and unique community. I feel like I belong in the BJD world with like-minded people.
      5. I LOVE DOLLS! ever since I got my first "real" doll, an American Girl doll (Not including Barbie's because I had tons of Barbie's as a kid and I saw them more like toys rather than a precious doll.) My American girl sparked something in me that I never felt before; the ability to bond with a doll, give them different outfits, hangout with her, give her a name, etc. It was my first experience with a doll that sparked my creativity and love for dolls.

11. I'd probably be a mix of 3, 4, or 7.
      My collecting has moved from other things to dolls, who either represent already existing characters or new ones I've created that I also use as a creative outlet/inspiration.
      So my reasons fit into more than one choice.

12. For me it's 1) Photography, 2) Fashion, 3) Characters, 7) Creating and 8) Something else.

I enjoy a lot of art-related hobbies, including trying to sew stuff that I could never wear and I did want to learn how to photograph. I shelled the characters from an old novel I tried to write (though I mainly take the dolls I like and try to see which one of the characters they would be, seeing as my character's physical appearances aren't that defined). I also got into this hobby during the pandemic, because I wanted to see new faces. Now that I am not as isolated as before (thankfully!), the dolls are mainly art-related objects to me.

#72 lyaam12, Aug 9, 2021
      Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    13. I chose and bought my tiny dolls simply because they make me happy. I love their joyful faces, how their character changes with a new wig and clothing, finding a perfect look for each, finding fun props for them.
      Basically, in a sometimes harsh world, they are a happy refuge.

14. My strongest reasons are probably 2, 3 and 8!

3) Characters
      I originally started wanting to get in to this hobby so I could bring my favourite characters of all time ever to life, which is happening right now. And I'm very excited for all parts of it.

2) Fashion
      I've always been a huge huge huge fan of dress up in games and putting pretty clothes on characters. I think for myself, it also has something to do with the fact that I'm generally a self conscious and shy person who doesn't leave the house a lot, I don't have a lot of confidence in my appearance, but to me, my doll looks gorgeous and beautiful no matter what. So when I buy him new clothes or dress him up, it makes me very happy. To the topic of this, before starting on dolls, I used to buy a lot of other expensive things for myself...but ended up selling them because I just wasn't really happy or got over it because I didn't like myself at the end. But with my doll, he feels perfect to me.

8) Something else
      I'm the sort of person that likes to talk to my soft toys and cuddle them a lot even though I'm a bit older. I like to pretend they have personalities, feelings and day to day lives as they live with me, too. So for me, having a doll is almost like having a little companion around with me all the time. He's always here, and I love him to bits.

15. For me it's a mix of 3,6, and 8. My explanation for 8 is that I always loved small animal figurines (Littlest Pet Shop) as a child, so collecting resin bjd animals is my upgraded "adult" version of the hobby lmao

16. 2 & 8
      I like fashions and clothes. Yeah and having my dolls wear clothes I couldn’t wear too.
      Also I just love pretty things and pretty boys. Plus my dolls makes me happy. Yep they’re my happiness.

17. 1&7
      I always loved creating for my dolls, so it was 7 before 1. With experience, I also begin to love photography, so now it's 1 too.

18. Definitely number 4.