1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Portraying Dollie Drug Use?

Jan 15, 2008

1. I don't think it's offending. I would find it a bit unsettling.. but that's no different from when I see people using drugs. Disgusting hobby. I'll never do it, but if the doll does, far be it from you to deny him/her a piece of his/her innate character. =)

2. How would you feel if you saw a photo story of a doll who had some kind of drug addiction? Would you read it, or skip over it and move on, or even be offended?
      Knowing that the photostory is about drug addiction wouldn't make me more or less inclined to read it.

Would it make a difference if the character in question was addicted to alcohol or if they were addicted to heroin? How about a made-up drug?
      The drug of choice wouldn't matter to me, either. However, I would give extra points for creativity if they had a made-up drug.

Is drug use/addiction too "gritty" for the BJD world?
      I don't know about too "gritty," but it does raise concerns about liability. For a forum such as DoA, that is open to 13-17 year olds, it probably wouldn't be wise to allow. A parent might see a photostory about drug abuse as a bad influence and/or inappropriate for minors.

3. Personally, I wouldn't like it. I'd skip over it and not read it especially if my dd was surfing with me at the time. But I'm a prude some of the other picture stories I've seen here I'm not wild about either. I guess I feel that dolls should be innocent playthings! LOL! But it's your doll, do what makes you happy.

4. To be honest I skip over drug related topics in general. I'm bored of drugs in the world.
      I don't think there is anything wrong at all with dolls taking drugs as they are just toys and they aren't hurting themselves, it's all just pretend. But I'm not interested in drugs or drug taking and am 100% against drug use in humans for reasons I won't bore you with. None of my dolls take drugs and never will, Kari hasn't even smoked a cigarette before!
      It's not for us but I don't see anything wrong with characters having an 'addiction'/being an occasional user or taking photos of dolls taking drugs. It's just a story and it's very different from real life and very, very different from the way users really are and act.

5. I don't think a story about a drug addicted doll would really affect me. I would probably read it and move on. I mean, it's just a story. BJDs are just extensions of ourselves, really, made in our image and all that jazz. They can be dangerous or pretty just as much as we can, so I don't find it too scandalous or dirty for a BDJ.

6. I don't even like to see dolls "smoking", so I'd steer clear away from any doll drug taking. It's just a personal squick of mine.

How would you feel if you saw a photo story of a doll who had some kind of drug addiction? Would you read it, or skip over it and move on, or even be offended?
      I don't think it would offend me because I'd skip to the next story, then the next, then the next, if they had similar ideas. If the drug taking was just a tiny part of who the doll was then I might be able to look past it, but if the story was just about the drugs it would hold no interest for me.

I'm part of various online fandoms and write and read fan fiction, so I have similar rules for dollfie stories as I do for fanfic. I don't read fanfic centred around drug-use or even make-believe drug use, so I wouldn't read that in a doll story either.

Would it make a difference if the character in question was addicted to alcohol or if they were addicted to heroin? How about a made-up drug?
      Not really. I like my flawed heroes and heroines but an addiction is a little too flawed. I'm more of a personality/social disorder girl :lol:

I think it is another form of creative expression and can cover the same range of subjects as plays, films and books can and frequently do. If a film can deal with the subject of drug addiction, why not a doll story? The only thing that really matters is that the story is told well and with sensitivity. I think it would upset me most a bit to read a doll story about "hard" drugs that belittled the seriousness of addiction.

7. If there were a warning in the title, stating drug use, like prostitution, I would avoid it.

I have to deal with stoner heads way too often and I cannot stand it or them.

It's odd, I suppose, because you could show me yuri or yaoi or het and I'd be fine. But drugs and protitution are two I would never tolerate.

8. i dont think it such a big deal to showing bjd character addicted to drug..it just a story...although it kinda ruined the innocent side of bjd. since bjd resemble a person in real life, it just another personality and characteristic that the owner want to make the doll more realistic, then just having it look all innocent and cute.

9. I wouldn't mind at all - in fact, I would be more interested. I myself have a few drug addict characters - ranging from wasted alcoholics to hard drug users whose final days are clearly in sight. The character's story should most importantly be realistic, and appearance does matter in that respect (i.e. washed out, visible veins, pus filled eyes). It might be difficult to accurately portray this on a doll, and this is what makes it more believable.

Personally though, I think most dolls look wayyyy to innocent to pull off the look.

10. Well, I probably wouldn't read it, 'cause I'm not overly much into BJD stories yet.

HOWEVER! Drug use, abuse and/or addiction is not something I would wish on someone I care about. Especially not drugs with known health risks such as nicotine and alcohol. A BJD is obviously not going to develop a smoking-related cancer

11. (Oops! hit the wrong button while editing...)
      or have a child with fetal alcohol syndrome, or even actually DIE from an overdose...

But still, "bad behavior" we condone in media creations has a nasty tendency to "leak" over into the real world.

12. I don't mind drug use, though I don't approve of it. I'd probably read photostories and be entirely unbiased, not really caring too much. However, if any of my little boys or girls brought out a syringe, I'd have to smack them.

13. Obviously, drug use and alcoholism are terrible things, and I think many of us have had to deal with it on a personal level at some point or another. Whether it was with ourselves, a friend, family, etc. It's one of the many awful things in life that make up life, unfortunately. So I can definitely see it being portrayed through our dolls as we strive to make them more realistic and more lifelike. We give them deep personalities, story-based backgrounds and pasts, attitude traits, relationships or atleast various themes of sexual exportation, and attire to match their "style". If we do all of these things, one would assume that they would have a few flaws to match. Just as people do. I don't see a problem with giving our dolls detailed flaws, such as drug addiction, alcoholism, chronic train-smokers, etc. These things happen, you know?

Now if it's censorship issues we're talking about, then a warning for overly-sensitive people or young children might be appropriate, lol. :sweat But in general, it wouldn't make me not want to read about or view someone's doll if the doll in question happened to be an addict of some sort. In fact, it would interest me, as a few of my dolls have these similar issues.

But what can I say? Life isn't always sunshine and daisies.

14. How would you feel if you saw a photo story of a doll who had some kind of drug addiction? Would you read it, or skip over it and move on, or even be offended?
      Yes I'd read it, if it was done well, if it was part of the character. I'm more likely to skip a boring story than a druggie one.

I do appreciate that because DOA has younger members, that gratuitous detail isn't appropriate, but if the situations being portrayed are accurate and realistic, they may actually be a source of information that may carry more weight because they aren't ostensibly educational productions and they aren't preachy. Maybe some people feel that's why addictions shouldn't be portrayed, but it's precisely why I think they should, if it's done responsibly.

Nope, not really. My attitudes to drugs have more to do with the hurt and harm they cause to the addict and to the people around them so, since the doll can't actually suffer and since it's the owner of the doll is the one doing the story...I don't have a problem with it.

Considering that some of the realities doll owners have created for their characters and stories have zombies, vampires, partial androids, demons, exiled angels, assassins, orphans and aliens seeking sanctuary often after persecution or even widespread speciecide, (if that's a word?) Not to mention all the other aliens/demons/zombies/vampires who are busy perpetrating all manner of malevolence on other bits of resin. Drug use seems to be the least of the issues our dolls have to deal with.

15. I'd read it, definitely. I think it's a very real topic that deserves address, and if the artistic medium chosen is a BJD photostory, right on. As a writer I have characters who are addicted to drugs (well, 2 characters in two different stories...one to morphine and another to made up nano-drugs ^^) and though my dollie character is not, I don't see it detracting from the story as a whole.

16. I don't think theres any problems with it, as long as it isnt graphic to the point of showing like, the violence and side effects some have been known to give.

And you have to be picky about the images, since there are younger people on the sight.

17. How would you feel if you saw a photo story of a doll who had some kind of drug addiction? Would you read it, or skip over it and move on, or even be offended?
      I would read it if it interests me. If it has a good storyline I don't care there are drugs involved.

Nope, it won't make a difference. Soft drugs, hard drugs... It won't change anything for me.

It depends. I have a split opinion about this, because I think that if your doll's character uses drugs and it's essential for your character there is no reason why not. But, you can't post it here. This forum has to be, and stay, PG13, so drug use won't be allowed here.

18. I think it would depend how realistically the drug use were portrayed. I don't think any of us would really want to watch a BJD trying to kick heroin, for instance. ^^;;;

Then again, a little weed never hurt anybody. If you allow dolls to smoke cigarettes, you shouldn't get too bent out of shape about them smoking pot.

Also, caffeine's a drug, too...just something to think about.

19. I would actually. Enjoy isn't quite the right word, but if it was done realistically then I'd definitely be interested in watching/reading the story.

20. Im currently in the process of creating a doll that is a goth vampire addicted to heroin.
      I think when you lightly touch on the dolls addiction every now and then, or a photostory fnding them passed out due to it, is ok, I dont think I will be making dollfie tourniquets though to put emphasis on it. Im going to brush over it every now and then, but not get into it too heavily. Ive been surrounded by drug use most of my teens and therefore Ive got a relative idea how to tackle it. I also think it makes the doll more real, as some people have that lying under this prefect exterior, and thus to realise the dolls potential, some dolls may have that also.
      I mean my lushie boy does weird things with chickens. Ive never gone into a explanation with it, he just carries around with him EVERYWHERE, this rubber chicken with a hole in its bum. I leave the rest to the viewers imagination, oh and lushie freaks out wqhen he does not have his chicken, hehe.