1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Posing help for Dollshe noobs!?

Jul 11, 2006

1. The hands are attached by the cord that passes through the arms, not attached by S-hooks like some other companies' hands are. I've heard of some people that fabricated S-hooks (the wrist has a "bar" going across it, that the cord loops around) and use them on the wrists. If I was going to try modding some hands into different positions, I'd try that too, rather than unstringing his arms each time.

My boy is strung with separate cords for lower limbs and for upper. He came pre-armatured and wired, although I have to get in there and severe the single wire that is serving both arms. He's having a little too much "action figure" arm response at times.

I also hot-glue sueded him, which improved his standing ability. In fact, I went in to all his joints 2 - 3 x with the glue, until I got a stability I liked. That fossil-bone pelvis was the hardest to do with him being already wired and I think I gave him an armature tummyache.

2. ah, that makes sense. i'd probably replace the cord with s-hooks, myself. definitely sueding him, as i'll be doing some mods to his arms and legs...

3. A couple of months ago I bought a hound from someone on here. He is large and stuff, and I was wondering if it was normal that I have a little bit of trouble handling and posing him, as I'm not a very big person, and my other doll is a mini. He really makes me appreciate how small she is.

I have trouble posing him, balance is difficult since he is all legs, and his arms don't like to stay straight. They always bend and he hits himself in the face a lot. I'm curious if this is normal, or should he be wired or sueded?

4. sounds normal to me.
      I don't have a hound myself (yet)
      but I think a lot of people who have them have done some sort of sueding, wiring or both to help with the posing.

I have a dollzone body (70cm) and I have the opposite problem. Instead of constantly bending or kicking, he completely locks into place.
      I'm used to my El who is as floppy as a doll can get and still pose.. its hard for me to try to balance a doll that locks into position..and when I do get him to stand he looks very unnatural...like he's standing at attention or something. (until he falls over..thats when it just looks funny)

5. it's completely normal. My IM Hound boy slaps his face all the time and Jerome, who has a Hound body, used to bend his leg and refused to stand. XD; My biggest problem was the belly. It was constantly popping out and eating my hand. D:

I fixed most of the problems by hot glue sueding the joints, so now they are more cooperative at posing and standing. :)

6. I've had my Hound for a couple of years now. I think your's may be strung a little tight if he's hitting himself in the face.

I sueded my boy and he no longer pops at the belly. He also poses and stands better. I would recommend sueding. A thin, soft leather glued on with plain old Elmers glue works really well. It also helps to keep the joints from wearing down. You can find a good tutorial her on DOA.

The one thing you'll NEVER get a Dollshe boy to do is sit up straight!

7. I agree with elfmoon. His arms at least sound as though they might be too tightly strung. And, yes, owning a Dollshe means committing yourself to sueding (I did mine with hot glue) and wiring. They can be made to stand, but I hope you have sharp reflexes for when he topples! I have finally invested in a doll stand (the model-sized one from Dollmore) and I still can't get used to seeing him standing upright without me holding on to him! But, in spite of all of this, I still think Dollshes are the most gorgeous dolls around and I can't wait to get my second one (come on, Mr Dollshe!).

8. Good thing they look so good slouched.

I'll add my voice to the chorus recommending sueding. Once my Hound was sueded, he stood with weight more on one leg than the other on hard old carpet for a couple of days.

And the hitting-himself-in-the-face thing is altogether too common. (the brat) Several others of my dolls pull that trick, especially the double-jointed ones.

Ann in CT

9. Yeah, my Dollshe boy likes slapping himself in the face too, but it's that or being unable to hold his arms up at all. Suede him, contemplate wiring, and practice working with him... that's really all there is too it. My boy is actually fairly good about standing, as long as I don't try to make him wear shoes! But I expect he'll end up wired in the near future.

BTW, love your avatar, Pelucheux... something like that was how I scared a large table of college boys (my dorm mates) out of telling dirty jokes one time... I told them I was taking notes.