1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Preference: Bige Eyed and Cute/Smaller Eyed and More Mature?

Jan 29, 2019

?
  1. innocent, young and big-eyed

24 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. mature and narrow eyed

42 vote(s)
    36.5%
  3. I like both equally!

49 vote(s)
    42.6%
    1. It depends so much on the character, and also the scale. I have a few different "worlds" going on in my dolly universe, where some 1/6 are mature tinies who live in their own world and have their own story, while there are a mix of cartoon/childish 1/6 and 1/8 dolls in another story-world. For 1/4 and 1/3 scale, I'm leaning more and more towards realistic sculpts. What decides me on a sculpt usually isn't the eyes, though, it's the nose. To me, even oversized eyes can look realistic if they're balanced by a broad nose. Sadly, wide noses are not a super common aesthetic for dolls, as far as I've seen.

2. I don’t know. I like both.

3. I don't care for the childish or anime sculpts at all, so I chose smaller eyed/more mature, though I also don't care much for the extremely realistic, tiny head, almost-sculpture-proportioned dolls either. I guess I'm kind of in the middle. For SD, I usually like eyes to be around 12-14mm, but I also like larger noses and mouths.

4. I prefer mature and narrow-eyed. There's something ethereal and timeless about a proportionally sculpted doll. The wide-eyed, extremely stylistic sculpts can be absolutely adorable, and I certainly appreciate some of them enough to covet. But they still run a distant second to a fine, small featured sculpt.

5. I prefer my dolls to be stylistic, but not child-looking or “cute”. I sorta like a look in between cute and realistic but still mature.

6. I like mature and realistic. Smaller eyes in natural shape help that a lot.

7. I definitely preference mature and realistic but I do have a couple of dolls who have larger eyes but the largest eyed (16mm) has such a serious face it kind of cancels out the large eyed look so he doesn't look so cute.

8. Aesthetically I like both and I enjoy that there is far more diversity in ABJDs nowadays. But from a collecting point of view I tend towards the cute & larger eyes sculpts generally; cute stuff make me feel happy.
      Though if i'm shelling a character, it'll be whatever sculpt looks most like the character. I think it's unlikely I'll get a hyper-realistic human sculpt as most of my characters are from drawn artwork or fantasy settings where there is a certain amount of simplification and stylization to their designs. However I wouldn't rule out a hyper-realistic animal or anthro head sculpt if I came across one I really liked or would work for one of my animal/anthro characters. :)

9. It only depands on character, sometimes even on particular sculpt, kind of doll...and so on.

Some dolls wouldn't be that nice with small eyes and vice versa. Sometimes there are adult dolls with big eyes, too. Like Twigling's dolls, for example. Young or age neutral dolls with small ones, as Lark by l'Armoire-de-DanDan. So I tend to be flexible and open minded about aesthetic.

10. I like both, but most of my dolls tend towards the big-eyed look. Not always innocent, though.

11. I love it when the eyes' size corresponds to human proportions more or less. As for the eye shape I like both round and almond eyes, but usually not too round or too narrow. Something more balanced.

12. I definitely enjoy the more narrow-eyed and mature looking dolls. The ringdoll male dolls are amazing imo! Though most of my grail dolls are from SWITCH and they have a more youthful and gentler look, but they're still well mature

13. While I like both, I tend to find myself more drawn to big, soft eyed sculpts. Maybe it's because I like dolls to look young and innocent, and that doesn't really work with smaller, more slim eyes.

14. I'm definitely a fan of the doe-eyed look. (I own an F-12, who is more "eye" than anything else! XD) This comes as no real shock to me—I like cute things in general, and I think big eyes are adorable.

15. It really does depend on the character, but there is something particularly charming about the big-eyed dolls churned out by Little Monica. They all just look so cute and sweet, I can't resist! Luts also has some interesting big-eyed dolls, but the one I want from them, Dia, looks more menacing than cute.

16. Mature, but not too realistic. Narrow or half closed eyes. I don't like innocent looking dolls and can't bond with too realistic sculpts. I always had an eye for Granado's Uranus evo, but I am afraid of bonding issues, so he'll stay as an eye candy for me.

17. I have both in my crew, as well as quite a few dolls that I'd put somewhere in the middle... Iple's sculpts, for instance, or some of the more recent, large-scale Volks dolls like Oscar or Kondo.

I definitely have a preference for those in-betweeners and the old-school, more stylized sculpts, though. I may love Nemissary (my Granado V-07) dearly, but I'm just not a huge fan of "realistic" dolls in general.

I guess I don't care for tiny eyes and tiny heads unless they're attached to equally tiny dolls. :lol:

18. I like eyes best when they're in an easy to find size. Things get tough for my smaller tinies and melon-headed SDs.

19. More towards smaller and mature. My dolls are mostly teens and young adults., and they use small iris eyes. I love looking at super realistic dolls, and while my personal collection does not run that way, I do like making them look realistic on some level. So really big eyes pull me out of that. Also, I like those stylized dolls with really tiny eyes.

20. I like both. One of my favorite dolls has pretty small eyes but it doesn't make her particularly more mature or realistic to me because she still has a large head.