1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Preferring one gender of doll over another

Dec 9, 2012

1. Most of my dollies are male, only 4 dolls out of 18 are female. So I have to admit that I clearly prefer male dolls. :)

2. I never asked myself this question until recently, when I attended my first bjd meet up. A member of the local group gushed over my girls and said she loved the girl dolls visually, but always found herself purchasing boys. It got me to thinking about my own little collection and where it would go in the future. I admire quite a few boy dolls (most of them I later found out are hybrids, which I don't think I'm experienced enough to try yet). I would like to invest in a boy doll for my collection; I think girls are just easier. I see a lot of merchandise for girl bjds in yoSD and MSD sizes more. For boys, I see the nicer items are mostly in SD sizes...and I don't think I'd like to adopt any dolls larger than MSD size.

3. My 1/4 dolls are pretty evenly boy to girl ratio, currently I have one more girl then boy, but it is close.
      My 1/6 dolls I have one more boy then girl, but plan on finding the right little girl doll to even the score.
      My smaller dolls are girls, or gender neutral, I don't know if they make boy bodies that small. If they did, I would want one.

On the other hand my 1/3?? Boys win! I have one girl and that's because I had clothes, and shoes, and girl wig, and no doll to wear it, she gets all the girl stuff. When I look for 1/3 I go look at the boy dolls, I like dressing them, and fixing their hair, and doing the pictures. I love buying stuff for the boys to get a nice look for them. I don't know if I'll ever get a second 1/3 girl doll. The one that I have is enough. Gimme the boys!

4. Girls, girls, girls!!! Over the 100+ variety of OT dolls I own in general I have only 2 boys. When my 2 bjds get here it will be 3 boys in total. I do plan to get one of my boys a boyfriend, but after those 4 boys... I don't see myself going for them at all. I just have very minimal interest in them.

5. I definitely prefer the boys. I don't even know why because I love looking at the female dolls too and all the fantastic photosets people create, but for some reason I only have the one male doll and he's pretty much all I want :/

6. Boys. Most of my characters are boys (or animals or anthros). I'm not sure why I prefer guys as characters.
      Boy dolls also have much more interesting features while girl dolls tend to look bit bland to my eye. There are several girls I like, usually from Twigling or Phoenix dolls, but still...I would put these less girly or bit more androgynous ones on boy bodies.

7. Same here. I love other people's girls, but have no need to get one, yet. It may change one day.

8. All the dolls I have are boys! I do have female characters planned, but so far I’ve had good opportunities to buy the boys and not-so-great opportunities for the gals. I’ll get them eventually, I guess, but so far it’s a boys’ club.

9. I always thought I would prefer the boys...1 boy and 4 girls later...:lol:

10. I've always leaned toward girl dolls, I very rarely have seen any boy dolls I could see my self owning. The one boy doll I really fell in love with was limited edition and wont be coming back ever and it crushed my heart so maybe that's why I always want to buy girl dolls.

11. I prefer boy ones, not really sure why, but theres been almost no girl dolls I've seen and instantly thought "Oh I want that!", while theres been tons of boy dolls over the years like that.

12. Girls, all the way. There's one male doll I'm mildly interested in but that's just to shell my husbando and is a huge 'maybe' and way in the future if it happens. Feminine features are only compounded by the doll style and I love it so much, and while it works for the male dolls too (to a lesser extent, IMO but I can tell a lot of collectors LOVE it) I don't personally prefer soft boys.

13. I prefer girls because it’s more fun for me to shop for cute girl clothes.

14. No matter how hard I try, I will always have more girls because I'm into cute faces and there are few cute boys out there. There are so few that I just bought a girl head with a boy body... He's going to be so cute :D

15. I keep thinking I have no preference at all, but then I always seem to fall in love with male sculpts. Which is doubly weird, as I prefer sewing women's clothes and have a huge backlog of things I want to make for my first girl BJD.

Which is, of course, why I bought a boy doll on impulse after falling HEAD OVER HEELS in love with him while looking for a girl. :doh:roll:

16. Definitely girls. I started out thinking I would want an even number of boy and girl dolls but a few dolls in realized I greatly favored the girl dolls over the boys. I sold one of the boys so now I’m at 5 girls to 1 boy. Turns out a huge part of the appeal of these dolls to me is all the nice clothes I can put them in and I definitely like the girl clothes better!

17. Boys boys boys for me xD

I can definitely appreciate gorgeous girl dolls in other folks' collections but I have absolute 0 interest in purchasing a girl doll myself.

I guess the reason for that is, that girls just don't inspire me that much personally and therefore I don't feel compelled to invest neither time nor money into them ^^;

18. I tend to lean towards girls just 'cuz it's a lot easier (for me) to decorate them and find accessories for them hehe

19. My collection will be all boys once I receive all the dolls I’ve ordered. I didn’t mean for my collection to be all boys. That’s just what I gravitate towards when selecting dolls. I do want to add a girl to my collection because it does seem easier to accessorize and dress girl dolls.

20. Judging by my current collection it would appear that I prefer girls as I have three girls to my one boy. But really I don't think I have a preference. I love my boy just as much (if not more) than my girls. I think I am just pickier with boys. I also can't really imagine loving another boy as much as the one I already have.