1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Preferring one gender of doll over another

Dec 9, 2012

1. I have almost completed my collection after 14 years in the hobby, and while I have both guys and gals, I must admit that the girls vastly out number the boys (6 boys, 36 females.) I have always said that “by telling the stories of my dolls, I tell the story of myself,” and it’s absolutely true. Every doll is a link to a personal experience or characteristic in my life (this approach has been way more creative fun for me than just keeping an ordinary journal or diary.):) Being female, it’s therefore only natural that most of my dolls are female like myself. But some tales were best told as boys, so there’s a handful of them in the collection as well. Whether male or female, each one is of equal importance and I dearly love them all equally.

2. I have 1 girl and 1 boy currently, but with 2 more boys preordered! (As well as a practice faceup head which will someday need a male body.) The girl was my first doll, but it seems my tastes have shifted more towards boys since I initially bought her. I like to keep my numbers even, however, so eventually I'd like to end up with another girl, to make 2 girls and 4 boys. To think I only had one doll at the start of the year... Oh well, it's not bad to be ambitious :sweat

3. For some reason I have a few boys, but I hardly do anything with them and look at them only like on a pretty picture. Sometimes I think that I could limit myself only to girls, because they are the ones that I really want to sew for, I want to dress and photograph only them. I don’t really now why but for some reason I like girls the most, may be
      it's all about my love of lace dresses <3

4. I vastly prefer female dolls, but I think it's because I've had a hard time finding male bodies I like! Most guy dolls seem to be pretty lean and with lots of muscle definition and I'm not a huge fan of that really. Maybe I just need to keep looking?

5. Well... Apparently I'm as bi in my doll collecting as in everything else :lol: I like both boys and girls with a slight leaning towards ladies - that one mostly due to seeing more female sculpts in general, so percentage wise I actually like less female dolls and more male ones, but since the ratio is off to begin with I will most likely end up with a few more female dolls in my collection.
      I like making outfits for both genders as well, thou I rarely stick with casual or traditional for males - to fond of leather pants on them for my own good :lol:

6. I have a slight bias toward the male dolls. The first dolls I saw were males iirc and I just prefer the less makeup look that is usually on the male dolls I've seen.

7. I have a pretty strong bias toward male dolls. Couldn't really say why, I guess it's just that most of my characters are male, since they're aspects of myself.

8. I only have male dolls. I like looking at stuff for both male and female dolls, but so far I haven’t seen a female doll that I liked enough to purchase.

9. Girls, girls, only girls! :3nodding:
      And I only like the ones that look really sweet and cute.

I've briefly entertained the thought of getting a boy, but then I'm like... nah.

10. I think I prefer male sculpts to female. Growing up, most dolls were girls and were very feminine and I just wasn't in to it. I would choose action figures over fashion dolls because they had more variety in styles.

11. I prefer male dolls. I’ve realized after joining the hobby that I’ve just been more interested in getting male sculpts. Out of the dolls I have and are on order i only have one girl to my four guys. A female sculpts just really has to stick out to me.

12. All girls. I like other people’s boy dolls, but they are not for me. I had one once, and he didn’t last. The clothing options are just SO limited compared to slim-MSD girls, and one of my favorite things is buying them clothes, dressing them up, and taking pics... and my guy had one outfit. I got bored so quick. So yeah, he definitely never had a chance at being a permanent fixture in my collection. :sweat

13. i mostly have girls, but i want a lil man sometime! that being said i don't really care abt if a sculpt is ~supposed~ to be a girl or a boy, i'll use them however i like lol. sex and gender are both spectrums after all.

14. I think I have a preference for the boys/guys/manly creatures. I just want to make the elf prince of my dreams.

15. Hi 2016! I'm trying to remember which dolls you own right now.... the AS body, the DZ body, Ringdoll Jack and the soom guy, I think? Three complete girls would be one WD fullset, the resin soul/WD girl, and I can't remember who comes after that. The floating body has to be the soom Cass body, and I think the head is the ingenue I wish you didn't sell... I have no idea who your girl on order is. I'm trying to recall the order here. Guessing she didn't stick.

First off, of the things you've listed, I've sold all the guys except the Soom Guy, and I've held onto the RS/WD girl, and the body Frost was on. So, uh, sorry about that. I now have something like 26 dolls, and of those 3 are male, and I have one more head awaiting a male body, and potentially another male doll planned, depending. I also have 3 non binary characters: one is agender, one is multi-gender/gender fluid, and one is a third gender. this means 20 women to 6 non-women. I was right that I find it easiest to write women though.

16. I guess we prefer girl dolls but I wouldn't mind owning more boy dolls. I think it's because of the height/weight of the boy dolls for the scale we have kind of makes it cumbersome in a way to have them out and about all the time. We currently only have one boy doll and a corresponding floating head which if completed would be the same size. The boy doll at this point should just be a display doll as he doesn't get played with at all and if we completed the other he would suffer the same fate, so I feel bad in investing more boy dolls as the next set would most likely be Iplehouse men. It used to be that our standard sized ones would get the most playtime/outside time but lately I've been leaning towards the tiny and smaller ones as I have back problems now and they are easier for me to handle.

Although, back when I first started the hobby, I had way more guy dolls on my list as I had specific characters in mind for a story I was writing. I have since abandoned that story, but every once in a while I kind of want to bring it back so who knows what will happen in the future.

17. I prefer female dolls but if I do ever see a full set BJD Samurai male doll I'll grab it up like lighting

18. When I first got into the hobby, especially learning and researching as a teen, I figured I'd be interested in more of the pretty boy dolls. But now that I've gotten into the hobby with purchasing my own dolls, I find that I've gravitated more towards female sculpts, and that I'm just far more selective in male sculpts that make me take a second look. So far it's about 1:4 male to female ratio in my collection.

19. I have many genders in my doll army, though more males then other genders. However that is because a lot of my dolls are based on my RP characters, and as I lean to playing males, such is the way of my dolls. That said I do have some lovely female dolls and a few dolls that are genderfluid, and nonbinary, gender is complex, and I try to have good balance in my dolls.
      I should also note that I'm transmale, and I have dolls that are also trans some I'm even modding to reflect they're trans. (sanding chests to flat etc.)

20. I definitely prefer male sculpt dolls! All my dolls are currently 'male' plus the pukipuki who is technically on a 'unisex' body but whose character I consider female.
      My wishlist is also male dolls, with only one exception. If I manage to get the female doll on my list, she'll end up being the only one, which feels like exactly the right amount!