1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Preparing for the sheer.. size of SD-sized dolls..

Aug 15, 2005

1. XD Heck yes IKEA! :D

Sorry, random... :oops:

2. i got a ruler out and i was like :o huge! but i didnt fully get how big they were until she actully arrived and i was in aw of how big she was. i had read how they were kinda heavy but i was kinds stunned of how she felt when i held her.

3. Am I wierd? I was disapointed when my yomo came... I wanted a bigger doll at that moment right then! I was sad I'd went with a smaller doll.

When Abacus' body came and I put him together I was like, OMG! Pure love. I love them being that size... (^__^) There's more there to cuddle. x3

Abacus: :x Don't... touch... me...!

4. after i placed my order i used the meserments to mack drow a stik figer out on paperand i cant ger over how big my boys going to be i gess it whot setell in till he arives i think im in fore a shok :oops:

but i think im going to love him nomater how big and hevey he is :D

5. I went to a Doll meetup at Jafax and saw a wide variety of dolls in all sizes. Including the one im currently ordering. So i wont be suprised at his size. But i will be suprised at his weight. i havnt the slightest clue how heavy he'll be.

6. hmm....its a very pleasant shock, i wouldn' bother "preparing" for them. ABsssORB THE sssHOCK!!!
      *cough* *shifty eyes* aniway....

7. I have the measurements of most basic sizes marked on my doll :grin: ! I'm still unprepared, though. I don't think it will seem too heavy. I'm used to carrying my dog around and she's about 20lbs.

8. this...is an old thread XD but finally I have a place to display Harvey!!!

He's my APJD (american pencil-jointed doll) finely crafted from spare scrap fabric and pencils (using the LUTS delf size measerments) :D he really helped me get used to the size of SDs...any also really helped with finding things in the correct size :) Not to mention I'm rather fond of him....he has quite a bit of character despite the fact he has no head XD

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

9. I wasn't unprepared. I hang out with LuciaBluestar and I used to handle her Sooah a lot so when Lucy came I was prepared. But I find that CP's are lighter then Rainydolls ^__^. Either way the only MSD's I like are Too&Bee-A other then that my crew is gonna all be SD's with one or two tinys.

10. I'm more amazed at people who are amazed about this type of thing or when I read about stuff like this. Even though I am relatively new to all kinds of dolls including BJD's size/height/weight did not surprise me when I read their various measurements or saw/held themin person. It just...didn't.

I was actually quite disappointed that many 60cm's are so delicate looking though I was surprised by the comfortable weight. Not too light or too heavy. I kept on hearing that I'd better be ready for the weight/size of 60cm's because it is a lot. Uh, no. What weight?

And I'm a very small person myself at 148cms or 4 foot 11 inches and 100lbs.

I saw and finally got to hold a Bermann as well and...it was so delicate. Nothing at all like how people on here gushed and went on forever and a day about. I was frankly severely annoyed at this misinformation. I expected them to be heavier and look more...hefty. Nope.

D <--disgruntled

11. I wasn't. XD

I was just shocked when I took Lith out of the box and I was like. O_O

I sometimes forget the size and all... Still not used to it or I forget to be.

I end up telling him what a spider long legged thing he was and I forget... tha t he's the shortest you can find. Or I remember Dollshes that are like 70cm?

Then I just shut up and say "I have no right to complain"

But yeah, they're BIG.

12. I'm always kinda amused when people talk about these dolls being so large because to me, even SDs are rather small. Their scale and proportions overall are so much smaller than most of the dolls I grew up with, large 3" tall porcelain and art dolls who were not only taller, but much broader.

13. Hmmm, I got to hold Sandwich's girl before I got Chris, I was amazed at the size! So I went back home and started ordering clothes while looking for a Wu...The shoes came in and I said "How cute!", and the size still didn't sink in. The pants and shirt came in and I said "How darling!", and still the size didn't sink in.

In fact, even when I picked the box up from the post office, it STILL didn't sink in! Of course, I think I was trying to maintain rational thought while in a public place...It only really sunk in how big he was when I opened that box and looked at Chris the first time. I'm a visual person I guess. XD

14. OT, but this is the coolest doll room ever!!!!

15. At first I made do with measuring his size out with a ruler or something similar, but as that wasn't all that helpful I realised "Hey, I'm in Japan! I'll pop along to one of the Volks stores and see for myself!" ...so that's what I did. Spent a lot of time hanging around the Sumikas in Tokyo while Ilú was being ordered and shipped, so I got used to the look and size of them, at least.

16. I agree with a few of you. I took Duckie out of the box and was shocked at how small she was. As a kid I had a My Twinn doll and a ton of American Girl dolls, so I was prepared for something...heftier. Also, all the photos of people's BJDs had completely thrown me off. I was expecting something proportionally bigger. And she is so light! I walked around the house all day carrying her and it was like carrying a stick figure.

17. to me they are more like a customisable action-figures and they are LARGE in that sense. If I want to have a doll that I can cuddle I probably get the soft-bodied zapf creation's designer dolls which sadly has ceased production.

18. When Maaya arrived, 43cm AR LF Ami, I was shocked at her size.

I've been spending weeks playing with a tape measure at 60cm, but just seeing a 43cm doll in person was surprising. I've never seen any BJD other than Maaya in person. ^^;

I have her sitting down all of the time - and every time I stand her up, I'm reminded again of her size.

Now I have two SDs on the way, and I'm panicking a little bit. o_O Tomorrow is the last day before they arrive, and I really need to sort out my bedroom and cupboard so that they have room. ^^;

I'm really short, so.. o_o;

19. When I went along to a doll meeting I was...just...knocked back at how huge SDs were. I really didnt expect them to be so tall. Plus, I think I expected them to be as thin as MSD although taller...but just didnt take proportions into consideration. I was then pushed even further when a girl brought along her model doll...woweeeee. I couldnt possibly imagine having to handle one of those all the time!

20. :D thanks! I try :)