1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Preparing your dolls for the outside world

Jan 17, 2009

1. I for sure dress for outside weather plus I wrap in a blanket to protect them while they ride in bag weather alone or with others. Just very cautious.

2. Doll preparation usually takes an extra 15 minutes(or so) depending on where I'm going, etc. I make sure that she's wearing clothes(obviously!), take off her hair, put on her face up protector, strap her into the suitcase(thank you mom!) and then go-I don't usually bother with pillows when she's in the suitcase but if she's in my backpack she's wrapped in a towel with her pillows. So I don't really take any special precautions or anything though I make a conscious effort to keep her out of the sun(WS) and keep her face up protected ^^

3. Most of mine go outside dressed for the season...Or at least, close enough, since not all of them have a very complete wardrobe. I don't carry any props for them, really. Except for Aria's parasol in the spring & summer because I really do worry about her face-up.

I do try to keep them out of too much actual dirt, since that can get in their joints and I hate cleaning it out.

I don't really have UV protection for any of mine.

4. My guys don't go out all that often, but when they do I just make sure that they're reasonably well-dressed and their wigs have been brushed.

I spend a fair bit of time on basic maintainence with my crew, though, and I don't tend to leave them sitting around in pieces or undressed... so there's usually no scrubbing or serious tinkering to do to make them presentable. It's just a quick grab, check and go.

5. my hana wears weather apropriate clothes. it's generally pretty cold up here so she has plenty of sweaters, a light jacket and one winter jacket. she has nothing for the rain though so when it does get wet she stays home... she has a backpack to keep her water bottle and a book or notebook and pencil. she likes to pack light while i tend to over pack...

i really should get her a rain coat though.

6. Whenever I get a new doll, I try to take him apart and get MSC Flat UV cut on him before he ventures outside, because Nevada is a desert and sun is usually out in full force. Aside from that, the stuff I bring for them depends upon the situation. If we go to an urban area with skateboarders, one or the other doll brings their skateboard. If they are going to a restaurant with my friends and I, they bring their little sodas, and so on and so forth. Clothing wise, I try to make sure they are conservatively dressed for the situation. They have more fashionable and less fashionable clothes to match most situations. If they have mohair on that day, I style the wig, then give it a good blast of super strong hairspray (usually Tigi Bed Head because it smells nice) so it at least keeps a rough form of what it was when I left. After that, I make sure I have superglue, sandpaper and a magic eraser in case of emergencies.

7. ...What is the super glue for? O__o Sounds scary.

Thanks everyone for the replies. :)

8. Special clothes? A coat, hat, or scarf so that they don't get cold?
      I do dress them up in coats and scarves, but not so much so that they won't get cold (as they cannot produce any body heat, what with not being alive and all), but so that they match the weather. If it's cold; hats, scarves, sweaters or jackets. If it's hot; shorts, tank tops, light clothing.

Take some food with you just in case your doll gets hungry?
      I usually don't for the simple reason that I wouldn't want to lose that particular prop.

Or a toy just in case they get bored?
      My largest girl does have a little backpack that I'll occasionally put on her, and there she'll keep any props I might want to use if I take any pictures. It's usually just her DS, though.

Drench them in UV protection? <-- I guess this is the thing I'm most interested in. I'm paranoid that my dolls will yellow quickly...so paranoid that I avoid putting them anywhere near windows.
      Not really. Sounds kinda horrible of me, but I don't. The only one that has any sort of UV protection is one of my tinies, and that's because she's got body blushing.

9. yeah, i'd love my dolls to see the world and the world to see my dolls, and since i love them (her, in this case, since for now i only have 1 doll) i feel cold if they're cold and warm if they're warm... so i always try to dress them properly. lately, Purple, my BF Olive, have been bald and naked in her bed even trought she have a wig and clothes from the previous doll i'm trying to sell (a KDF Aru), and i can't let her outside in this conditions XD

10. -usually have their face protector on
      -wrap them up good in pillows
      -Usually dress them up in their best outfits/shoes etc.
      -I don't take them out often and when I do it's usually to a place indoors. They don't have Uv protection except for my Raine since his resin has it (volks)

11. nothing special. usually dress them in the newest clothes i did, that's all.

12. :?What is MSC Flat UV?:?

13. Danny normally when we go outside is wrapped in one of my scarfs, and I put him in his bathrobe *Ohhh soo warm! :D * If I realize his skin is FREEZING.

14. Mr. Super Clear Flat- UV cut. It's another type of sealant. Helps block out the sun a little better than regular Mr. Super Clear.

Onto the question!

J gets curled up in a little ball and unceremoniously shoved in a bag.

Only partially kidding. She does get curled up in whatever she's wearing, gets wrapped in a blanket and put in the bag. Most of her clothes fit in the bag, as well as her books, her bear and skunk and a Magic Eraser. Once Lirael gets here, Jay will hold her in the bag.

I wish I had enough to get her seasonal clothing, but it's always pretty warm in AZ, so it really doesn't matter what she's wearing.

15. Mr super clear flat UV protector. Dolls turn yellow in the sun (UV Light) so it has stuff in it to stop uv rays, slowing down the yellowing. It's every good stuff.

16. Since I take my Nicco to work with me in my work bag sitting on the box of tissues in there, I forsee "Serious collectors" on the board having cardiac later. I have a soft fleece blanket I wrapp around him. Occasionally he wears a hood but usually his shoes are thrown in and put on later. In the afternoon he sits on my bag under the window and watches me play solitaire inbetween tending to the kids on my bus.

[​IMG]

Dunno if I'll take him in the summer tho... depends on how needy I feel I suppose!;)

17. If I'm taking pictures of them outside I'll make sure that any exposed resin is properly coated, but other than that I'm never to worried about what might happen to them while outside. If I take them anywhere I'll usually put them in a carrier but sometimes if I only have one with me for a short trip I'll just hold it.

18. I've only taken my boy out 3 times so far, and since he arrived in December, there was snow on the ground and an icy wind everytime >.>; All he owns is long sleeves right now, and I try to bundle him up when I have taken him out. As for nice weather, short sleeves an shorts, just like me ;)

Pretty much, I dress him for the weather...It'd be odd to see him bundled up in a woolen sweater during the summer, and in shorts when there's a foot of snow outside. *shrugs*

19. I usually just make sure my dolls have shoes on, then wrap them in a blanket and put them in a tote bag. Before their first outings I put a small amount of velcro on Lyra and Echo's headcaps as both of their wigs were extremely prone to slipping, even to the point where a rubber band under the wig wouldn't help. Eventually I hope to have seasonal clothes for each of them, as I think it just looks cute. And I don't worry too much about UV coating as they're rarely exposed to direct sunlight.

20. Ba-de-bump-bump to see if this thread will pick up again. ^^
      I don't know why, but I just like reading about what other doll owners do to prep.