1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"PRETTY please?": the art of obtaining.

Apr 28, 2005

1. I got into BJDs as an adult living on my own, so I didn't need to get permission from my parents. My introduction to the hobby ran a little like:

Late 2003: See a Volks Kyotenshi on someone's LJ or DevArt. Save the pic, thinking, "oh that's pretty." Promptly forget for about a year.

Early 2005: Start seeing more BJDs. Start poking around on various sites, looking at what's out there. Join DOA, haunts the galleries. See Dream of Doll's Tender Too and Tender Bee-A. Toy with the idea of buying them. Discard that idea, because "I'm not into dolls." See the DS Hound. "OMG. MUST. HAVE!":love

Fast forward to 2015: 8 dolls later, firmly in the hobby.:kitty1

2. I saw the dolls in 2008 and thought, "that's pretty." Then, I saw the price tag and said, "nope!"

After that, I forgot all about dolls for another 5 years. But in 2013 I started feeling a bit nostalgic for my old childhood toys. I joined a few forums and started running into BJD more and more until I finally caved. I didn't really need to ask for money as I have a job, but my husband was incredibly supportive and a little dumbfounded I wanted to buy something expensive. I hate spending money. :P

3. I'm 18, but still working on graduating High School. I'm hopefully going to graduate in a year, and I'm eagerly waiting to see if I get some sort of gift for working so hard. I understand that's not the main point, but it would be nice to get some doll money out of it! Other than that, I have my own money so I don't need to ask my parent's permission to buy a doll, but that also means I'm on my own regarding saving. I tend to ask my parents if they need anything done like scanning photos or something, and try to milk that. ^^; But I'd feel weird also if they went and bought me a doll out of the blue, because I haven't really done anything to warrant that... yet.

But back when I was a newbie in the hobby, plus a younger teen, I was kind of pathetic when it came to begging. I would sigh and hint that I wished I didn't have to save up my own money for this or that lovely doll. Now I've realized I have the means to get them on my own, it just takes longer. Still, I'd be grateful for any help I could get from them! ^w^

4. I confess, I need my husband to agree to spending that amount of money. But he usually wants some computer thing that's a comparable price, so when we get a good chunk of money, we both get something big. Last Christmas, he got a new graphics card for his computer, and I got Comrade. ^_^

5. I don't have to answer to anybody!
      ...My dad does question my sanity though. It basically goes like this:
      "Can I afford to buy this? No."
      "Wait, no I really want this but I can't afford it."
      "Well maybe if...no!"
      "Damn it, how did that get into my cart- SHIT NO, DON'T...my life is out of control T^T"

6. My thing is about 75% of my paychecks go to helping with household bills. Then 25% that left over is my personal money. So if I save that money over a couple of months my husband can't really complain.

7. Haha dang it is quite difficult to get your parents to understand how much you really want a doll! especially if it's going to be your first doll purchase x]

I recently managed to convince my mother to let me purchase a doll. It was a little easier since I tried to find the PERFECT time to try to talk to her - meaning, she must be in a good mood and also it's christmas! She is a doll collector herself, but she collected porcelain dolls from thrift stores so she understood why I 'needed' to purchase a bjd. What was hard to make her understand is the price.... BUT I had money that time and she agreed to give me the last hundred bucks I needed so I can order the doll. I had to show her a lot of tumblr pictures of beautiful dolls to convince her and she finally said that they are worth the price.... so yay I finally got to purchase my first dolly

8. Haha although I still live with my parents (hopefully not for long now yay) what I buy is none of their business, hey're curious because at the time I was on a bit of a "buy all my childhood on e-bay" so i often had random figures or toys or other merchandise appeaing in the mail.

The only sort of... hudles? I guess were "How much did that cost?" To which I told them, roughly and that it was all paid for out of my hobby money (Money I earn FROM hobbies FOR hobbies) and when I found out how easy it was to knock out enough art to buy a doll within the week my hobby money ended up sorta staring at me (At the time I was happy with the one doll and hadn't seen any that caught my eye.....until pipos... this happened a few times and now I have 5 parents are all "Why do you need so many?" They love the fact it gets me out of the house though XD yay meets.

9. I am a single adult so I do not ask anyone for permission or assistance in paying for my dolls. I first saw a BJD in 2007. I walked into a fabric store, I had forgotten that a friend worked there. We chatted for a moment and then she asked, " Have you met Nell?, I am sure I looked very puzzled, so she pulled a doll, out from under the counter, and I was thunderstruck. My first thought was," Ooooh, finally the perfect person to sew for.... MUST HAVE!!!!" I was a bit confounded when I learned how expensive they were, and that it had to be ordered online from Asia. I was at the time, completely computer illiterate, and had never ordered anything by computer or from another country. Six frantic months of obcessively looking at BJD sites ensued, until the day I found HIM, an Elfdoll Mir. With assistance and reassurance from my friend I timidly ordered the doll, a wig and some boots. He came home to me May 19, 2008. Seven years later, I am happy to report that I still have that doll.... and many others, a house full of doll furniture, a plethora of costumes, props, wigs, eyes , shoes, toys, pets... etc. I am still completely obcessed with BJDs... and at this point I don't think the fascination will ever ebb. So I'm an addict, I am a happy content little addict, eagerly looking forward to my next purchase of dolly goodies! BWAHHAHAHAHA!

10. I first saw a Volks doll and fell in love. I mistakenly believed it was the only bjd company so I resigned myself to never being able to afford one. xD A couple months later I discovered other doll companies more in my price range. I spent months trying to find the perfect sculpt and finally settled on a Mystic Kid Francis. I had enough money saved up, so I just needed my mother's permission to buy him. It took some convincing, but since I was spending my own money she agreed. A year later and I don't regret a thing!

11. I had just received my tax refund and decided to get one. I had no problems buying it in 2008 on ebay. I only had to wait 2 months for him to arrive.

12. actually not that hard saying I'm saving up for a doll to my dad (i'm 15) because I plan to buy it myself and he said "if it makes you happy, its your money" kind of thing but I was super nervous telling him because i didn't get the best reaction the first time I showed him I liked really expensive dolls... but things change when you try to save up for it yourself. but you could always try to meet half way?

13. okay had to reply directly to the OP lol this made me giggle ^^

So, firstly I began this as an adult .. no parent 'needed' to obtain my dolls.. I also have a rather large Barbie stockpile from the last ooooo *cough30cough* years ><... I did find these dolls well over a decade ago, found, not bought mind you.

I had the 'misfortune' to find out about, and adore beyond reason, ARTICULATED dolls as a child watch a show about 'antique animatronic dolls' ones several hundred years old. It's been love ever since with the general type ever since. BJD's came into my life as "obtainable" dolls similar to my lust for the priceless antiques... that and I'd also found anime and manga ... that helped. Wanted one for ages, could not afford nor could I just choose ONE to start with... Tripping on DoD did not help that... I wanted all the dolls in the story O_o... Eventually I found something that bridged Barbie and BJD's (well to me it did) I got a "Lost Angel's Story" doll, not true bjd as it was more of a super articulated (note that lol) Barbie type/size doll). I was already dropping 150 on a barbie so meh 250 on Ming Rei didn't seem too bad... especially having seen the DoD prices lol. Had her for a long while and was starting to seriously start looking and got into DoA... then life happened and stalled stuff... but one anime related event with a doll panel every year kept me tuned in... finally things settled. (I had lost my mother) She had been along with me on all my doll journies... and it only seemed to fit that it was time to get my first doll with some money she left me. So the true search began... I found soon a second hand Goodreau she was technically my first doll but the jointing ... makes her status iffy... but that was not the doll... I had also taken up a book series that just screamed at me "picture us as dolls!"... I was sunk. Not too long after I stumbled on an advert for an 'outfit' ... it came with a bit of a story as it was for a particular doll.... It was love at first sight... I got the outfit even though I had no clue about the doll. Well, he was an LE... and a year old, and wt??? I found him, by the one who commissioned him to start with. And OMG he was like a composite character that represented the characters in the books I was in love with then... Better still.. she still had NEW IN BOX fullsets... I nearly died of bliss... The only time it took me to get him was as long as it took me to figure our HOW to buy him lol... I had my first love of my BJD collection. Soul Doll Kagel mold LE "The Marauder". Then I saw a DoA member's "signature" in it was Iplehouse's "Dexter" omg... that grumpy face was to die for lol... 'grail doll'. LOL

In my bjd journey I have acquired (to?) many. As for the question of the devil owning my soul??? ahahaha! The devil will have to wait in line as my soul currently belongs to Iplehouse :sweat I say this based on out of 11 dolls owned (2 souldoll, 1 loongsoul), I just placed my most recent order for my 9th Iple doll ><. Although I have to say being able to shell some book characters is rapidly coming true for me? lol And I must be lucky as I have never had horrible dolly deals... just one reaaaaaly long wait (compared to the usual). I am happily drowning in resin and will continue to do so as long as I have the means ^^.

For me now it's not an art of 'pretty please' its the fortitude to go on while my VISA howls in pain when I start browsing (especially at IH... oh btw... Dexter came home May of '14 ^^).

14. Thankfully by the time I got really interested in bjds I've already been living on my own for a few years. Just asking for a pet hamster took an entire month of begging and saving up half the money behind her back on my own before she relented. And that hamster was 5 dollars (cage and other stuff was a lot more, of course). I can't imagine what'd it be like convincing my mother to spend 100+ dollars on anything, let alone a doll. Too many siblings and "If I get you something I have to get them something" etc etc. It would have been game over before it even began.

15. My first doll was a combined Christmas and Birthday present it took some convincing. After that I finally had enough money to buy my dolls myself.

P.S My birthday is in April so combining the two is for when I want something big.

16. 2004: I discover an advertisement for Volks in Barbie Bazaar (defunct Barbie doll magazine). I like Megu the best, but being sixteen I can't afford her on my own.
      2005: Another doll magazine, Doll Reader, runs a short article on tiny ball-jointed dolls. I promise myself one in the future.
      2009: I am now in college. The dorm rooms are boring. I spruce my half of the room with Barbie dolls, but they lack individual personalities. I browse the Internet for the Volks Megu that I loved so many years ago. I never find one that strikes my fancy, but I learn about other ball-jointed doll companies and am overjoyed at the options I have.
      2010: I discover Ivory and Laon, both Soom dolls. My love affair with Laon dies quickly when I realize he's sold out. Mama sees what I'm up to and declares Ivory "pretty in a waifish sort of way."
      March and April 2011: I break my ankle and am forced to spend six weeks away from college convelescing. To pass the time I browse lolita fashion. One of the website that I visit (Anna House) offers SD-sized lolita dresses. My desire for Ivory grows.
      June 2011: I start creating characters. My desire for Ivory wanes as I learn about MSD-sized dolls.
      July 2011: I join DoA and begin my search for a doll I can use to shell my favorite character.
      2012 to 2015: I salivate over various molds and drive my mom nuts with dolly chatter. I purchase a Hujoo to learn how to handle ball-jointed dolls.
      Summer 2015: I finally discover an on-topic doll to shell my character. I christen him "Johnny."
      January 16, 2016: I talk Johnny over with my mother. She gives me permission to buy him, provided I am careful with the rest of my money. I place the order and the wait begins.
      March 16, 2016: Johnny arrives. Mama and I fall in love.
      May 14, 2016: I warn Mama that I have plans to purchase two more dolls in the near future. She tells me to wait on one, but to order the other (a small Bobobie) as soon as I get my bank account fixed (I've screwed it up somehow).

17. I don't ask much from my parents so when I do they usually listen. With them is actually better to let them talk about it for about a week.
      I already had a head, complete with eyes a wig and temporary faceup, but I needed help to buy a body.
      In the end we agreed that it will be my birthday+christmas present and a few months later I had my first doll.

I had already conviced them to buy me a Pullip a couple years earlier and their price is similar.
      They know I collect barbies, they saw me painting and rooting hair on them (my mom even helped me with sewing) so they know it's not just "playing with dolls".

18. When I first discovered and longed for BJDs, I tried asking for one for Christmas. That was a HUGE NO. Then I tried asking if I could buy my own. Also a NO plus "stop wasting money". As long as my parents continued to assist in my bills, the answer was NO, because their logic was that if I had $500 to spend on a doll, then I didn't need their help and they would cut me off completely.

Finally, a week before my wedding, I had saved up enough and got my first doll myself, from selling old toys I no longer cared about. Now, I have to ask my husband permission first, since I'm a housewife and he's the one earning money. I get $6 a week to spend on whatever I want, so I can save up for a doll, or sell some of my other stuff to buy one, but I am not allowed to dip into his money for one. He usually will let me pick one thing for Christmas and birthday though. :)