1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"PRETTY please?": the art of obtaining.

Apr 28, 2005

1. ah such amusing stories! I guess I can add mine! heehee

So I'm surfing round the 'net like 5 years ago looking at Japanese fashion mag scans and see a cute Lolita with a doll in a matching dress. Show one of my friends. We find out the doll costs like $800 and think that's kinda crazy. I keep poking in boredom however. Stumble upon Volks and a couple other stores/owner sites. Realize the dolls are COMPLETELY customizable and not at all like Babries! WANT!! Well I convinced myself not to because I really didn't have the money for a doll then, but...I couldn't stop looking....a couple months later graduate highschool.... MOMMY!!!!! *flail* They bought me my adorable MSD as a graduation present and I haven't looked back since.....

my second one was a more interesting way >_>;; I had saved up special for my dream boy (DOT Camine) and finally had enough. So I didn't ask....I *told* them I was. Well I told my mum anyway....I didn't want to even mention it in my father's presence heh....I don't know what is going to happen when I buy my next one in a few weeks....I'm not sure I want to tell them at all....and I am sure I'm going to fudge the price....just a bit. She is second hand so its not AS expensive...and I *AM* 25 years old....even though I live in their house while I wait for my girlfriend to finish school and move up here....OMG HURRY UP!!! I need a new address to send this stuff to!

2. i am well-trained in this art.

step 01: find doll on market place
      step 02: make doe eyes and whimpering sounds at gf
      step 03: cry and make excuses
      step 04: repeat as necessary
      step 05: ????
      step 06: PROFIT

i think she needs to learn not to fall for my charms. besides that, she used my dolls to bribe me into getting a better job :doh

3. There's also a big amount of drooling involved. And puppy eyes. Puppy eyes all the time.

Though, my husband just told me that he's "bought an iPhone", which shocked me quite badly, so maybe I'll just tell him one day "hun, I've just bought me an Unoa"... XD

4. Hey who could blame you, I am myself am waiting for DH to get a new computer!

5. Hehe, tell mother. Beg mother. Repeat last two steps a billion times. XD
      That made my DAY.

Well, I've gotten lucky. My husband practically gives into my dollie wants because I don't really ask for much else.

BELLA - KID DELF ANI ::
      For sale by best friend, Yunabug. Cheap because I'm her friend. I wanted a BJD, and Christopher bought her for me because I had been so good.

EMMA - UNOA SIST MOD HYBRID ::
      She was a birthday gift from my father.

ELLA - UNOA SIST WINK FACEPLATE ::
      I worked extra hours at work, and asked Chris if I could get an Unoa faceplate to practice faceups on. He obliged.

VIRGINIA - ANGELL-STUDIO GUS ::
      This was my birthday present from Christopher. He let me pick any dollie I wanted under $400. I keep getting lucky at this.

HARLEY - MINIFEE WOOSOO ::
      I traded my old saltwater tank setup to Yunabug for her. : )

and lastly,

TANIA TRAPEZE FULLSET ::
      This one was the hard one. I had promised Chris no more dollies until Christmas, but I just HAVE to have this doll. She's limited and beautiful... and I just LOVE the sweet heart that's selling her for a good cause, so I asked all nonchalantly and sweet like. : )
      I've been planning on selling Bella anyway, so some of the Bella money goes to Tania, along with the masses of unused dollie goods I'm selling in the marketplace. The rest has to be paid little by little. :doh

I am SO glad I don't have any parents to persuade...

6. So these are my steps towards obtaining a doll. It works on some occasions, but sometimes it dosent. Oh well, thats life. XD

Step 1:Find doll on Evil Bay/The Marketplace/Doll Site/Dolpa
      Step 2:Strategically mention that theres this really awesome doll thats for sale
      Step 3:Repeat Step 2
      Step 4:Show picture of doll and talk about character and how much I want him/her
      Step 5:Pray that they will like doll
      Step 6:Obtain Doll

7. I didn't have to convince anyone! It was my money, I spent it how I liked. And I fell in love with a BJD so I bought her. xD Of course, confessing to my parents about the doll was not as easy...

My story though is pretty simple..
      My friend had a BJD before she moved and I was sooo stunned by how pretty it was.. so, I asked where she got it and she told me the website. Volks~
      So, I manage to find it and I hated the prices! So, I go around searching and for quite a long time, I just looked at pictures of the gorgeous dolls.
      I finally got to the Iplehouse website and see the Tania model..
      And that model is what prompted me to get her.. *__* <33 I'll never regret getting her! She's my baby! <333

8. Oh this is a fun thread! Here was my process from ignorance to first BJD.

-Meet 1/6 Obitsu at anime convention
      -Hunt for them on EvilBay
      -Find Junkyspot
      -See ElfDoll K and die a little death over his fricking price tag
      -Find DoA
      -start sculpting my own little BJD cause I'm cheap
      -Find fellow doll person living down the street from me
      -Meet her and her doll (at this crucial point, I have screwed myself so badly that it's too late to save myelf)
      -Spend weeks and months visiting her and her doll, wishing for my own, and perusing all the doll sites
      -Lettting her talk me into treating myself to a doll of my very own
      -Forking over $350 (dies at this point) to said friend so she and her Almighty Credit Card can order my Kid Delf
      -24 days later she comes home

I BLAME YOU, KALANI!!!! YOU ARE A HORRIBLE AND INCORRIGIBLE ENABLER!!! Thanks love! ;)

9. First doll was the hurdle.

- over 3 years ago, friend says: you could make an Ichigo dolllllllll
      - (Ichigo obsessed me) *___* Really?!?
      - Dilligently search every site on gigglegeek (SOMEhow missing Iplehouse! :o )
      - After much perusal and weighing of options and money, settle on BF Kyle
      - Show to husband
      - Immediately get the Iron Fist of NO with no rebuttal allowed
      - ....wait a year....
      - cruise the doll sites again, looking intently for an Ichigo face
      - Miraculously find Iple House and immediately fall for their boy body ('06)
      - Settle on Soo Ri
      - Angst over how to get this by husband...
      - Enabler *cough*friend says It's your money, get it!
      - Got it.
      - Waited three days in utter guilt
      - Finally told husband Afer The Fact. :XD:
      - Have been burbly happy in Love with that doll since day one!

Yeah, I blame Baakay. ;) Otherwise, the Iron Fist of NO would not have been circumvented. :mwahaha

10. Here's my little story~

Self: *Is asked by someone on Gaia to design OC for them*
      Person: *Gives link to BJD site for refs of character's style*
      Self: *sees Homme Ducan on DoD, massive salivating ensues*

A few months later, still fond of the dolls and beginning to pursue more doll sites out of curiosity, not yet considering to buy one.

Self: Hey mom, lookit these dolls, aren't they pretty?
      Mom: OMG EXPENSIVE. D8
      Self: I know... I know you'd never get one for me but aren't they gorgeous? Maybe someday... *sigh*
      Mom: Get a job. >: |

A month or so later...

Self: OMG parents I want a ball-jointed doll! D8
      Parents: Too expensive. Get a job.
      Self: Birthday present?
      Parents: JOB.

Argument/begging continues for several more months.

Self: Agh, grades bad... failing school!
      Parents: Okay we'll get you your doll if you bring up your grades and pass.
      Self: AH, GLEE! *works ass off and brings up grades* 8D

Parents order the doll early and I continue to work on school to avoid having them sell it when it arrives.

A few days after Hansel arrives.

Self: *looking at more dolls* Ooh mom, look at this doll, isn't he just beautiful! I want him someday. 8D
      Mom: WTF I just got you one! Get a job you hobo! D:<

Yeah, lots of begging and actual effort in school was involved in getting Hansel.
      My parents are pushovers and always break down eventually if we come up with a decent compromise. >w>

11. I don't see how anyone could have resisted after seeing them in person first! And you managed for months! Wow! Also, WOO, Rhode Island!

12. Here are my steps for obtaining a doll.

Step 1: Find desired doll
      Step 2: Work 8-10 hours a day for five days a week
      Step 3: Repeat Step 2
      Step 4: Make sure my bills are paid and there's food in my fridge and cupboards.
      Step 5: Pray that customs won't charge me an arm and a leg
      Step 6: Obtain Doll

Then I have a pretty dolly and cool cloths/wigs/eye for him or her!

13. I just worked worked worked my butt off for both my girls.

The second one, Brodie, I really didn't have the money.

I just kinda went upstairs to boy.

"Heyyyy~ I want something, but it means I'll be 30$ short on rent?"

"go ahead, get it"

No questions about what it was. No "I DUNT CARE RENT RAWR!" (albeit I am extremely good with money and have 'lent' him substantial amounts of money enough times)

*cue a squeallie girl running back to her laptop and saying yes to the seller.*

:D

The art of obtaining for me is working, and working, and working some more, and making sure my rent is covered first. XDDD

14. My parents have never been controlling and always sort of let me and my sisters do what we want hobby-wise and stuff. They weren't the type of parents to try and force their kids to grow up a certain way, they just taught us good morals and let us grow up as we please. So of course this left us lots of options. I discovered bjds while bumming around manga websites when I was 12/13, back when Volks was like THE ONLY COMPANY... anyways, it was love at first sight. I showed my mom and she was like "yeah cool", then I asked for one and "Only if you buy it with your own money". So the saving began. Birthday money, cristmas, my first baby sitting job. All of it went into my doll money pot. Then finally, three years after I started saving I ordered my first doll, a Hound. My second however, came two years-ish after the first, me having grown into a teenager with money to "throw around". I'd always wanted a Unoa boy and had been looking around the Y!jp market place, but not seriously looking into something yet. Then one night I found what I was looking for! A boy, brand new, never been played with! I bid right away and then calculated when the auction would end: the next day during my spare period at school. So, the next day I was camped out on a computer in the library, biding furiously until I finally won ten minutes before the bell... Ahahaha! I was sorta stunned, and walked off to my next class in a daze. I didn't tell my mom and then, a month later he arrived. I didn't get the reaction I'd expected, instead I got a "oh that's nice honey".

So I guess I never really had to ask like some people. One of my friends is still asking, hoping that her mom will someday say yes... and it's been at least three years.

15. Ah yes this lovely topic. I've repeated this for four dolls!
      After looking around and wanting every doll, sadly you can only choose that little ammount.

Doll #1. Tender Too:

"Mom.. my birthday is coming up..."
      "Yeah...? And?"
      "And I know what I want!"
      "What is that?"
      "A doll..."
      "You're turning 17 and you want... a doll?"
      "Yes. A very pretty one."
      "How much is this DOLL going to cost?"
      "Uhm well... About... $250.."
      "Oh..."
      "Oh and I would need to buy him clothes..."

More bothering later the doll was purchased.

Doll #2 Tender Bee-A:

**Repeat above step! But this time.. I turned 18!

Doll#3: Angell-Studio Kana...

"Dad.. for christmas I want another doll..."
      "Another!? But.. I don't know..."
      "Yeah.. I'll send you pictures of her..."
      "...."
      "She's pretty!"

So... I never really GOT her but I used my Christmas money. I don't think they knew how to exactly order them...

And...
      Doll #4 Fantasy Doll Glen

I just pretty much got him two months ago. ^_^
      "I know what I want for my birthday!"
      "Let me guess... A doll"
      "Yes mom how did you know!?"
      "How much is this one?"

Hahahahah. Love it.

16. lol what a great thread and how creative we all are lol! Normally mine is trying to persuade hubby to buy them for me by making big puppy dog eyes, talking in a high pitched cutsey voice, keep looking at pictures of dolly when I think he's not watching mwhahah and general craftiness. I did buy my Madeleine, Ducan, Puki Pipi and Sooah all by myself by selling other things (my serendipity sharmin was sold to get Ducan for example), but for my Kyrie I did some pleading. However, I was far too naughty and just went ahead and spent the money without asking for the Saint I saw on the marketplace. I am in major trouble with hubby over it so I am on a dolly diet for the forseeable future (and currently wondering how to tell him about the customs charge I have on the cherry blossom fer...!!!)

17. I've come to the conclusion that I just need to explain it's somehow a deal in order to get my parents to use their credit card... because they won't let me have my own @_@ Though I have to admit, having cash in your hands makes for a far more paranoid spender... I'm always peeking in my wallet to see how much I have...

Like how I ordered Saif right before the Dollzone prices went up...

And then I explained to my dad that Dollmore Aidan is not very expensive except for the shipping and my dad actually suggested sending it to our relatives in Hong Kong to cut shipping... >_> I'm surprised he didn't shout something to the effect of "NOT AGAIN!" But then he started saying "You should learn to sculpt your own doll..."

But now that the Korean won went down, Dollmore Aidan really isn't much more expensive than Saif (Saif has become the benchmark in my family's brain so anything incredibly more expensive than he is begs the question "Why is it so much more expensive?!") even with shipping so I've decided to try wearing down my parents again.

18. XD yeaaaah...buying my first doll took me a LONG time to get!

1. Listen to best friend talk about dolls...alot.
      2. Look up all different kinds and want...all of them.
      3. Sit and stare for a couple years.
      4. Finally, actually, come up with a good dollie story line with characters I love and pick dolls for each ^.^
      5. See a previously owned DIM Asiam on DOA
      6. Beg parents, point out how it's alot less than the website, bribe sister.
      7. SOME HOW WIN!
      8. Domuya bodies go on sale.
      9. Beg dad often
      10. Miracle happens.
      11. WINS

But...now I'm an adult XD So...I buy my own dolls. Which is...actually harder T.T Saving sucks XD

19. I'm an adult with money. :::snort::: laughing hysterically:::
      Okay it does like this...
      hmmm... like this one... oh, that one's cuter.
      Don't look at the boys, you want girls... remember that nice dress. the clothes that you want to get and sew. hint, hint
      Hmmm... one boy would be okay. I REALLY LIKE THAT ONE.
      well, must stick to the same size
      yes. They can share eyes, maybe a wig or 2.
      okay, which one. I like that one
      he's cute but check out xxxxx site
      better. ohhhh... what this. like him better
      [sigh] much nicer, but he's (larger/smaller) than what I have
      well........ as long as I contol spending. one outfit and 2 pairs of eyes, one wig... should be good
      holey c.... what's this 30page word document... its called "bjds i like".... hmmmm. of course just found this doll/model, xxxx has a picture on DOA, I'll add it to the want list.

The above is an internal monolog [sigh]. trying not to order two more dolls. Have one on layaway right now and I currently have 1-60cm, 2 40-45cm, and one puki.

20. Mine went like this.

Saw pictures.
      Thought they were graphics.
      Went to convention.
      Saw Pullips.
      Thought they were Volks.
      Saw forum thread.
      Asked questions.
      Saw DoD.
      OMFGCAMINELUFF.
      Joined DoA.
      Found CH.