1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"PRETTY please?": the art of obtaining.

Apr 28, 2005

1. This is my experience lots of lulz and n00b like reactions:

Saw Kawaiimon's pics on DA
      ZOMFGTHEPRETTY
      Followed random link to DOA and joined
      Me: "Hey *friends name* you ever heard of BJDs?" Friend: "BJD?!... sounds like some kind of exotic blowjob" Me: -_______- (no joke, this convo actually took place lawl).
      Found really helpful LJ post
      Found Dollzone
      Wing and Cloud wannnnnnt
      Posted more on DOA
      OMG they has peenas?! LMAO that's fraking awesome.
      Researched more companies
      Liek zomfg whats the difference between CP and LUTZ?! (ya I know I'm smart)
      Found B&G
      Zomfg you can has elves? GIMME!!
      Ordered my 2 Elf boys
      Wanked in B&G waiting room until they arrived XD.
      Bank account drained from buying doll clothes.
      Nanuri '07 luuuuuurve
      Oh noes none for sale ;m;
      Buys Feeple Ashely (next best thing)
      Discovers the true size of Sapphira's massive head >_>
      Puts Feeple back up for sale/trade ;_;

2. hehe

-gothiclolitadoll goes to a doll meet with a friend
      -gets home
      -calls me
      -tells me about the awesome dollfies she saw
      -is determined to buy one
      -tells me to join doa with her
      -i join doa
      -forgets about it
      -years later she gets one
      -brings him to my house
      -i freak out
      -forget about it
      -she brings him back
      -shows me more dolls
      -i freak out again
      -i find pukis
      -i fall in love
      -i find luts
      -fall in love with kdg cherry
      -i find DoD
      -fall in love again
      -this time with too & bee-a
      -i tell my mommy about them
      -she says 'school first'
      -i resist eating for 3 months XD
      -i get my loan refund from college
      -i buy my darlings
      -my mom still doesn't know
      -neither does my dad
      -but everyone else does XD
      -wonders how jacked up that is XP
      -finds sd ethan
      -kicks self for not waiting 1 more week T^T
      -is determined to get ethan next, second hand or brand new >.<

sooooooo yeah
      there's lots of random stuff that got left out
      like fights and randomness
      >.>
      needless to say,
      too and bee-a are one their way from DoD
      and so my parents won't find out
      they're being sent to my boyfriends house XD
      but only because UPS won't ship to PO box -_-
      wtf

3. Haha... it took me YEARS of lusting after Miyabi's mold (KDoll Kill-U Sp!) to finally buy him. I literally gazed at him everyday but couldn't bring myself to buy him, what about homeless dogs/starving kids/etc? To make a long story short, a perfect evening came about (my friend was selling her new Kill-U head for school money/I had too much champagne/I had just finished undergrad) and I broke down, I paid, he was at my house the very next day. :fangirl:

I had no time to be guilty, thank goodness because I'm that person who will. I was hungover and happy and I've been happy ever since (without the hangover... usually). :| I'm so glad I just got him already!

4. -Discovers papermoon on a japanese anime site

-Does research

-Finds out about volks existance

-See volks are uber expensive ^at the time^ and goes X>x

-Finds out about dollfie dreams

-Goes on ebay and finds one she has to have

-Begs mum and gets a no

-Is miserable as heck about it next few days

-Mum finally gives in to make her daughter happy and dolly is bought with buy it now

-After experience and several dolls later mum gives up and lets me get dolls to make me happy.

5. My story is pretty simple. My friend showed me the dolls on a few sites when she was looking at buying one. After she bought her Dark Elf Soo, I got to play with the doll and decided I wanted one. I waited until I had a job that paid well enough and saved up to buy one.

Even if I had wanted a doll when I was too young for a job, I would have just saved up birthday/Christmas money and allowance money until I could afford one. The cost of a doll would be WAY more than my parents would pay for a gift, even for a birthday/Christmas gift.

I just tend to enjoy buying things on my own instead of asking someone else to buy them for me. That's why I was out on the town the day after my 16th birthday filling out job applications. =P

And my significant other and I have an arrangement... we are making a joint account for necessities such as rent and groceries, and we each have separate accounts for spending on whatever we'd like.

6. Yeahh I didn't have to pester my mom about it at all. I just had to convince my fella that it was alright (he's a penny-pincher!) :)

The progression:
      ~am introduced to BJDs by (now ex- but still friend) boyfriend squeeing over DOD
      ~YEARS go by
      ~all of a sudden two of my friends have a bunch of dolls
      ~hay how did you get those I want one
      ~dally with MSDs for awhile, but we, sadly, don't connect
      ~friend gets a DT Hue
      ~lovestruck with DT
      ~look at DOA, sign up
      ~encounter PW, likewise lovestruck
      ~buy Clara's head (DT Yeondu)
      ~waffle around on what PW sculpt Bernice should be
      ~Segi head just falls into my lap and so then I have Bernice's head too
      ~commission faceups (from Ladious), buy clothes, wigs, accessories..
      ~order Clara's body (currently on the way!)

so it is a story in progress. As of now I've hit a low point in my funds. ;) But obviously I am a fairly patient collector, which is surprising because I am ridiculously impatient in every other aspect of my life. Haha I love this hobby <3

7. The perfect execution of this method in reference to boyfriends takes time. NOTE: all of the dolls I currently own except for one were bought by me. I once had a CP El, paid for by my exboyfriend and my parents as a joint Christmas present, but the relationship ended and I couldn't even name the boy properly :(
      So! back to successful execution. After talking my man's ears off over dolls for months, letting him hold one (more like making him hold one), and seeing him almost bond with one, I knew it was only a matter of time. I knew he'd be coming into town at a certain time (VERY near my birthday). I had not asked for anything in over a month. The anthro doll of my dreams, a Pipos Ringo, showed up at denverdoll as InStock the week before he was to come down. He sighed, he fussed, HE MADE SURE IT WAS THE ONE. And, he bought her. She arrived at my place two days into his stay, and she has never left my side since. I've replaced her default jelly acrylics with Enchanted Doll Sweety eyes that are the same color as his, and she reminds me never to ask him for another doll again, because he got me the perfect one!
      On conclusion, the perfect execution of the "pretty please" is a mix of serendipity, patience, and abstinence (NOT FROM .....that, but from buying other stuff!).

8. Getting my dolls....huh.

Your way seems pretty efficent XD

I'm purple
      My dad is green
      and my mom is blue

I did it something like this for my first one:

"Hey daddy?"
      "Yes?"
      "I know what i want for christmas..."
      "oh?"
      "A Dollfie."
      "What's that?"
      -explains in lengthy form-
      "Alright, and how much is this?"
      "--WELL YOU SEE ITS ALL I WANT AND YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY ME ANYTHING ELSE I PROMISE!"
      "...how much?"
      "430..." (I think thats how much...B&G have raised their prices)
      "four hundred and...fifty....for a...doll?"
      "yes:sweat"
      "Oh....I'm sure we can...........work something out."

My dad is kinda weird like that...He's awesome for some things and just plain no for others.

and my shiwoo goes like this:

"Hey mum?"
      "Mm?"
      "Isn't this a nice doll?" -shows shiwoo-
      "He's really nice, I like him."
      "Yeah...I think I want to extend my doll family to him and another doll"
      "Oh...I see."
      "Yeah.."
      -Silence-
      "So how much is this one?"
      "It's from the same company as maggie's doll..."
      "How much is that?"
      "$540..."
      "He comes with a wig and clothes..?"
      "No.......Just the doll...."
      "Oh.:huh?:"
      -mom walks away and comes down to me on the computer looking at dolls again the next day-
      "You know...I think I might get you that doll you wanted for Christmas"
      -jaw drop and turns head, ignoring everyone talking on MSN- "what?"
      "Yeah. You know its all i can afford to buy you though."
      "IF YOU BUY ME THAT I WILL BE THE HAPPIEST GIRL EVER"
      "I know you love your dolls, so I know it wont be a waist of money...I hope."
      "It wont. Thankyou :eek:"

And that was that. My mom has been crazy nice since my brother moved out, its creepy. but im not complaining if shes buying me a doll *_*

9. this thread is hilarious. . . i don't plan on asking my boyfriend for a doll, ever. maybe if we were married. because if we ever broke up I'd have to sell the doll or trade her, because I don't like having ex boyfriend things around. I've had too much jewelry from exes to consider accepting a doll. My parents wouldn't ever buy me one either. they think it's a crazy hobby and they aren't big on expensive gifts anyway.

I buy dolls by having a job and living really simply in other ways. I've graduated so that helps. even when I was in college I worked part time and managed to save for my first dolls. now my dolls wear much nicer accessories though. yay!

10. some of these are halirous ^^

-saw them at cons
      -lurked around Volk's website prior to Metrocon 07 *day before*
      -found 27cm obitsu body and head in dealers room
      -met comicbookartistboi *must i say more after that?*
      -went to con doll meet
      -went home and looked at Luts/Fairyland
      -drooled over them
      -forgot about them *but not my obitsu*
      -goes to metrocon 08
      -finds out that sophiesoliday is lusting over MNF Ruth
      -goes BACK to Fairyland
      -loves MNF woosoo vampire elf
      -realises its too much
      -finds B&G *thanks sophie!!!!*
      -falls in love with Sharon
      -currently working on making a 70cm boy ^^

11. Well, my story isn't very different.

- See doll at Ohayocon, think doll pretty
      - Think about for two years
      - See doll on Devart, am reminded of pretty
      - Browse every doll website I can find, bookmark and drool
      - Extensive research
      - Write budget
      - Prepare to buy, am unable to get my Io. . . I cried
      - Get my Lotus instead.

She's on the way. Of course, Io will be mine. . . someday

12. Once upon a time, when the only place you could get Super Dollfies in the States was through the Doll and Hobby Shop...

I belonged to an online Sasha (no not that one) doll club and struck up a friendship with a girl in the UK.

She asked me to order her one of these new fangled dolls and send it on to her, since Frank didn't post overseas.

Well sure. What are friends for?

"Dear God. It looks like a space alien."

The next one was...

"Maybe it's okay when you put the hair on..."

And the third time...

"I'm getting two for myself!!!"

13. I don't have to ask anyone for a doll. I buy my own, thank you.

14. ROFL.... this is such a great pick-me up thread!!! It should be a sticky that EVERYONE is instructed to read after posting in the HELP! EMERGENCY! threads!!!

Heres mine:

3 years ago... working for husband in workshop/office looking for "Tow Balls" for our truck on the net:

*googling*

hmm 100's and 1000's of listings with "ball" in the name... searches down list...

something weird called a BJD keeps popping up every 20 or so pages WTF?
      *saves search to go back to*

on lunch break strange word "dollfie" is playing on my mind....

*googling again* locates cheap tow-ball and goes back to search for this dollfie thingy... having established its a doll (I love dolls & have collected for years so a new variety is right up my alley)

stumbles onto doll website with weird name in korean and whats that *dies* the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen in my life!!! (cant read writing but pictures are WOW)
      bookmark!!

looking further, finds a FORUM with LOTS AND LOTS of beautiful pictures of beautiful things with more weird names *gets in trouble for not doing the accounts*
      bookmark again

*grummble... must go back to that after work*

Many hours later sitting in the dark at home all the house is asleep except me huddled over my computer at the coffee table....

Then suddenly this addiction grabs me with a force that threatens to spend the next years worth of the grocery budget.... I find Bambi Crony... weird name but who cares *LOOK AT THOSE FACES* OMG whats that a Cerebrus Project and what the hell does LUTS mean, Gah who names a doll a Hypermaniac!!??? and then... OMGWTFIWIN AN ALCHEMIC LABO UNOA LUSIS KIT......AHHHH I DONT CARE I WANT THEEEEEEEMMMMM ALLLLLL*faints*

So the next morning I calmly tell my husband that I have put $1000 on our credit card and that if he wants to complain I'll bring up the epic amount it cost to ship over his custom built motorbike.... no haggling just let me have my hobbies and everyone will play nicely!!! heheheh :mwahaha

15. ~Discover VOLKS at the ripe age of 14.
      ~Look at all the gorgeous pretty pictures.
      ~Fall in love with MSD Myu & Maggie.
      ~Found SD13 boys.
      ~Fell in love with SD13 Link & Mark.

After blowing the shines of glitter and roses out of the way.

~Realize that prices range from $300 to $600.
      ~Dies at computer.
      ~Never visits VOLKS website ever again.

Few years later - March 2007

~Re-Discover love for aBJD's through a friend who was talking about them a lot.
      ~Discover LUTS (and a butt-load of other companies out there!!)
      ~Fall in love with Ani, then Cherry Boy when he was first released.
      ~Actually got a JOB and hung onto it XD
      ~Ordered, delivered = happy Iza.

Later on the year...
      ~Discover tinies.
      ~Freak at how much a limited goes for when the pre-order (or ordering period) is over.
      ~Ended up with a Leeke Rory through DoA XD;;;

During November of '07......
      ~LUTS released SDF Cian :o
      ~Desperately begging mom to go halfsies.
      ~Apparently mom has a long slew of a list of "THINGS TO DO"
      ~Still begging in the meantime.
      ~Finally get everything done (which felt like forever and a millennium)
      ~Obtain Cian.
      ~Go through the hassle of the postman not knocking on my gate door or front door. Finally decided on him being lazy and not wanting to carry a nearly 5 pound box to doorstep.
      ~Finally get. Jump for joy in the post office (during December); everyone who is in line stares at me like I'm crazy because "LUTS KOREA" is marked on the side... XDXDXD
      ~Drive home. Box flies forwards while driving home OTL
      (Next time I will remember to buckle the box into the passenger seat)
      ~Put clothes on, let him sit their happily while admiring that SDF Body XD

16. Here's mine:

- See BJDs about 5 years ago
      - Still saving

:(

17. Haha, the first story made me laugh so much. xD So cute!

I think I found out about bjd's around when I was 17 maybe? (so five years ago) I actually found out about gothic lolita style back then that I fell in love with... and there were few bjd's that had these kind of clothings (I thought they were made just for the clothing xD ). I think it took few years until these websites like volks started appearing, and my sister got interested of the dolls a lot and she has like 5 now.
      I still don't have my own, and I wouldn't ask my mother to buy me one or give me money for one... ever. It's just not a thing that I need for a living... and I don't like having presents or loans. I've made some money from my last job though, so I'm planning to finally buy one of my own. :3

18. How about this then, seen from the POV of my youngest daughter (who isn't a member here yet as her English is not quite up to it yet)

• Sees Big Sister get a doll
      • wondering expiriences mommy being smitten with dolls, too
      • Sees mommy buy her own doll
      • Gets jealous
      • Starts pesting mommy about how she wants a doll of her own
      • Mommy decides that dolls are more important than college savings
      • Mom finds acceptable doll second hand at a bargain price
      • Mom uses some of the college savings on said doll
      • sees mom getting hooked on Pukis
      • wants a Pukisha puki for herself
      • is unaware that mommy has blown her own savings on a Pukisha...

She's getting it for christmas....

19. -Three years ago, I came across bjd at an anime convention.
      -Researched more about them, started to get really into the hobby
      -But lo and behold, the cost was outrageous!
      -Lots of searching for doll
      -Three years later, finally found her. And at a good price!
      -In meantime, look for a job
      -Managed to snag job at Target
      -Save up earnings for a couple of months
      -Told older sister about doll
      -Older sister blabbed to mom.
      -Mom is not pleased
      -Able to convince mom that the doll was the reason why I got the job
      -Doll finally arrives!
      -Doing a face-up was a pain
      -Mom still not pleased
      -Takes doll to mall where she was complimented a lot
      -Took her to mall again, camera got stolen!
      -Mom still not pleased and complains about me being too old for such things

I think the only negative downside is with my mother. My mom is a typical asian parent, who's overly critical and can't stand it when I don't act 'normal' in her eyes. It's gotten to a point where I decided to block out what she has to say and talk back to her.

20. Step 1 - What are these curious dolls I'm hearing so much about?
      Step 2 - Oh, look, pictures of dolls. They're pretty.
      Step 3 - Oh, now my mate has one.
      Step 4 - Right, I'm going to go to a meetup with her and see if I can countenance spending the money.
      Step 5 - Arrive at meetup. Fall madly in love with an AoD Gu.
      Step 6 - Go home and buy one.