1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"PRETTY please?": the art of obtaining.

Apr 28, 2005

1. DZ Megi; Riku-
      ~Online on Deviantart and ran across a picture of a BJD by mistake.
      ~"Must buy what-ever-the-heck-that-is...." Snooping about to find out info.
      ~Found Volks and DOA
      ~Found Dollzone and the Megi Mold.
      ~Looked on Ebay and found the DZ seller there.
      ~"Oh jeeze! How Much?!"
      ~Selling off games, staying up late and doing random jobs to earn the money.
      ~Dropping a "Hint" to Mum about these dolls.(Blantently begging)
      ~More work, getting the ok to buy and quickly buying him.

AOD Chi; Logan
      ~Wandering around DOA about a year after buying my Megi, hearing about AOD.
      ~Saw the Chi mold and fell in love with him.
      ~Earn the money.
      ~Asking the dreaded question "CANIBUYPLEASE?!"
      ~Bought the doll.

2. eh-hem.. I think I will note my most memorable one because I have had so many dolls pass me

First Time[that sounds wrong]
      ~Looking at Sowelu videos on Veoh.com
      ~Reads comments
      ~Finds GORGEOUS picture of a real girl and inspects the gorgeousness
      ~realizes that something is off
      ~Realizes it's a doll
      ~Searches all over google for "asian Porcelain doll"
      ~Gives up
      ~Finds it when skipping a couple pages back to video
      ~Clicks to enter Dream of Doll
      ~Clicks and Finds Camine
      ~Realizes the girl was a boy
      ~Cries at price, Tells boyfriend
      ~Boyfriend says "oh pretty"
      ~tells best friend
      ~best friend shows me DOA
      ~Gets involved
      ~Graduates High school
      ~Boyfriend promises my first doll to me as graduation gift
      ~go to NY
      ~Order cheaper doll:sweat
      ~sells her 3 months later

:sweat The first day I found the dolls, I wanted that tender shall who was just above camine... knowing camine was a boy, I didn't really want him. Well... now I am on my way to my dream doll... but it was a simple music video online that helped me find my way to where I am now...and I am actually happy that I had this chance....

3. Me: "Mom I want a doll"
      Mom: "yeah.."
      Me: "Come on. For my b-day! :D"
      Mom: "We'll see"
      Me: "Dad I want a doll for my b-day! 8D"
      Dad: "Okay"
      Me: "When will we order him?? XD"
      Dad: "Tomorrow"
      Me: XD!!!!
      Mom: *no comment*

4. Hmmmm, let's see. I bought both of my guys myself without anyone's help, but the journey to getting them was interesting maybe...

The Road to Blisdon *dramatic music plays*
      1. Circa 2005, My friend's boyfriend at the time sees a Hautedoll magazine with these "weird, cool Asian dolls" on the cover and buys it for my friend because he knows she loves japanese things.
      2. She is instantly in love with them (turns out these two "weird, cool Asian dolls" were Jun Tachibana and Isao Nanjou) and shows me the magazine excitedly.
      3. I find these dolls odd and am a little creeped out. :sweat But it doesn't surprise me that she likes them.
      4. We both find out the price and are shocked. She puts it on the back burner, and I forget about the whole thing for a long time.
      5. About 3 years pass, and for some reason I am reminded of these weird dolls again. I look them up on Ebay, seeing their price again, wincing in pain. I look them up on Google and find the Volks website and DoA.
      6. I join DoA. Through DoA I see more dolls from more companies. I begin to be less creeped out by them and their prices and more intrigued.
      7. I am eventually smitten and decide I must have one. My friend is totally surprised, and thinks it's funny. After looking around at all the companies I can find, I decide I want a big boy and order a DoI Luke from Dream of Doll.
      8. About 5 weeks later, Blisdon arrives. :aheartbea

5. i've just decided to start saving for an mnf shushu and my journey to that decision was ...

-saw pics on DA
      -found luts + fell in love with Sooney
      -but oo thats alot -.-
      -'daad, how do you change US dollars into £'s???'
      *grabs calculator ... ... ...*
      OMFGASIFFITSLIKE£400FPOUNDS *promptly passes out*
      -must find one cheeper *mission*
      -joined DofA + saw a shushu on the gallery
      -found fairyland with its active line *horaay*
      -aah £200 getting better
      -decide that she would be the first bjd to be owned my moi ^^

aaaand i'm still working on how to buy her or tell my parents that i want to spend all this money on a doll, bet my nan would be thrilled ^^.
      my brother was all 'whats the point, you can buy a barbie for like £20' but once i showed him the pictures he admitted they were quite cool.

6. It went something like this:

Me: Honey, I want to buy a doll!
      Husband: Um, okay? How much?
      Me: *teeny voice* aboutthreehundreddollars
      Husband: ...for a doll?
      Me: I can make it pretty clothes and dress it up and name it and pet its hair and, and, and *squee*
      Husband: You know we have a real, live baby, right? You can dress him up for free.
      Me: *seriousface* Look, either I buy the doll or we keep having babies till I get one I can put in lace and ruffles.
      Husband: *panicface* So what are you going to name your new doll?
      :)

7. Hehe, Saturday morning I wouldn't of had anything to post here... Now I do (And it makes me very happy!!)

I've been talking about Alice for a long time now. So incase you're wondering I only have one doll (curretly :) ) named Davey. So who is this Alice you're asking? Well I've been looking at the KD Aru for some time now. I think she's got a beautiful face and she fits for one of my characters, Alice. Well after talking about her for so long Saturday we were in the car, we're going to the AT&T store for my mom's new phone. And I'll admit it. I wouldn't shutup about Alice and Davey and BJDs and everything. Well my dad said something about me getting a new phone and my mom says, well if she gets a new phone for christmas (Where'd that come from? I don't know personally) she doesn't get that doll she wants.

I piped right up and said, "I'd rather have Alice".

So now I have to help save for her. But I think it's a good deal for me. If I contribute $100 to her, my mom will pay the rest as my christmas present. $47.54/100 !!! Woot!

~Chaos :daisy

8. This! Except that I am the friend mentioned early on, and when Loa mentioned to me that she was getting one, I was a bit sad since I wanted one. Beryl was already sold out, but I managed to get lucky & get a swap from DevotionDemoness, we both did layaway on each other's dolls, and 3 months after we made our agreement, our dolls arrived home. It took some convincing with my husband, and he's still not a huge fan, but I have my Aqua, good enough for me.

9. I don't think my journey is interesting but I'll tell anyway. xD;

~ sometime in 2004: I see BJDs online and want one but can't afford it and know my parents would never buy me one so I tell myself I'll buy one someday when I have money.
      ~ 2008: I finally have £1000 and nothing to spend it on
      ~ "! I should finally buy a BJD"
      ~ I looked at lots of sites and fell in love with Ducan on DoD
      ~ "but he's like $600. ;__; maybe I should look for a cheaper doll"
      ~ "but I don't like any of the cheaper ones so much."
      ~ "oh well, let's order him then. *order*"
      ~ me: Mum, I ordered an expensive doll I've been wanting forever.
      ~ mum: How expensive?
      ~ me: Maybe like £500 with everything I want and shipping.
      ~ *lots of explaining why it's worth £500 goes here*
      ~ mum: fine, it's your money. don't tell dad.

Then when he came mum understood why he was so expensive and we told dad and dad thought I'm stupid but he can't do anything about it so everyone is happy. n__n

10. My goal is not done yet... But here's the thing so far.
      -Bought The Sims 2
      -Registered a local TS2 forum.
      -Got tired of the local one and registered an international one.
      -Found the chatter forum there
      -Found a thread about ABJDs
      -Saw DoD, Luts, Volks etc.
      -Saw the price.
      -Saw FDoll site and their prices
      -Fell for Nina
      -Started saving
      -Showed mum
      -Got a no
      -Saved
      -Showed again
      -Got a no D:<
      -Still saving...

11. Dear Mello needs to get her butt over to this thread. She and I are both perfecting the art of obtaining... It all began this one day at school last week, when I found Delphine...

Mayu: *Has 80 minutes of free time in her schedule, has no homework to do, so decides to check up on DoA*
      *Clicks around, decides on a whim to check the News section*
      *Browses through the threads, lurking around and looking at new releases from different companies... Then...
      "WHAT'S THIS?! A new doll from DOD?!"*
      *Click*
      *Mayu discovers the first Limited Edition she's ever wanted, DOT Delphine, Full Set, in white skin. She is so consumed that it is all she thinks about through lunch, then French, then English, and even does a cute little drawing and writes a poem because she is that inspired.*
      *After school, she and Mello print pictures of the dollies they like: Mayu's of Delphine, and Mello's of Luts Honey Delf Pudding. Mello's parents pick them up and they head over to meet with an exchange student from Japan, talk a little, then go home*
      The car ride was interesting. :XD:
      Mello kept coming up with ways to drag Pudding into conversation... Like:
      "Hey mom, look" *waves picture back in forth in front of face*
      "School was good-OBTAIN!!!"
      Us: Yeah, I don't like Pukis [sorry, I don't mean offense ><;;;]
      Mello's Dad: Are they ugly?
      Us: Well, I don't know
      Mello: BUT THIS ISN'T! *Whips out picture of Pudding*

Mello: I'm hungry.
      Me: I could go for some Pudding. But it's bad to eat resin.

As for my tactics with my mother, it's been usually the "dragging it into conversation" tactic, by force or just flowing with the conversation:
      Mom: Your hands are so cold!
      Me: I know, right? Like a vampire?
      Mom: Yeah!
      Me: Hey, look! This is a vampire too! *Whips out a picture of Delphine*
      Mom: *Sigh*

I even printed pictures of her and left them in the printer, but because of where the printer is, right outside of her room, and on this shelf, they come flying off the printer onto the floor of the hallway. :sweat

Edit: My first experience wasn't as exciting... I remember being shown the dolls by Mello and my friend Nicole. Luts was the first company I found, so of course they're my favorite now... ><;;; I absolutely fell in love the first time I found them. I decided I wanted one, but I think my parents didn't believe how serious I was about it. Eventually, about a year after discovering them, I got my dearest Alice for Christmas. I was so happy. :D

12. "Mom can I get a doll?"

"Ok"

haha yuuup still havnt gotten one, I'm still researching

13. I think I first saw a BJD in a Google image search (good old Google XD)... Decided they were way too expensive, but played with Volks Dollfie for about a year. Then saved and saved and saved and saved and... you get the idea XP to get a Dollfie Dream (I was 14 and had no money). Had her for three years and decided that 60cm was too big and 27cm was too small, so sold Dollfie Dream and am now just a few days away from ordering a Mini Fée! :D I got the rest of the money to buy her yesterday, which was my 18th birthday. Needless to say, I am *very* excited and impatient for the bank deposit to go through!!!

~Ari

14. Well, my BJD way:
      First saw hiritai's wonderful Hayden on DA, forget about them.
      Months later a friend told me she wants to buy her second one ("WTF, you own one?"), started to read about them, saw DZ, find other companies. Started to adore them deeply, start to ask my father.
      Father "NO WAIZ!". Asking father again, "Well...maybe".
      Days later he came in and said "Order your doll."

XD

15. Saving every penny and skipping as many meals as possible to save money. unfortunately I pack my own lunch :'( so no money for me.
      I ahve 20 out of 55 for the down payment.

16. alksdjflaksfdj If I had to ask my parents for a dollfie, I'd just.... D: sadface forever.
      I have a job.
      It doesn't pay much, but I has it. It took FOREVER for me to save for one, but yeah~
      I really, REALLY hope that you get yours. Might I suggest getting on your knees and kissing her feet?

17. Snowe
      -Surfing through DA
      -Accidentally saw a pic of the doll
      -Search more on DA
      -More came out
      -Saw LUTs website's link
      -In Awe-
      -Saw the price
      -Dies-
      -Considering
      -Want one
      -Found DoA <3s
      -Saw Dz MO+Clothes
      -Ask daddy ->Said No
      -Mommy {sitting bside daddy} ->So much for a doll? No way!
      -After begging&whinning
      -Daddy ->Said Yes xD
      -Mommy ->Annoyed but said nothing :P
      -Brother ->Angry that dad bought me whatever I want :S
      -3 mths later {get him n_____n}

Niente
      -Finding Snowe's lover
      -Saw MnF EL
      -Perfect
      -Asked dad to bought him on christmas
      -Dad ->Agreed xD
      ~something happened here~
      -Dad ->Let's order him this next few days :B
      -Me ->Really? *huggles*
      -In process of ordering him soon xDD

That the journey of my doll-obtaining x--X
      Yeah, I love my dad ~ :D

18. -sees bjd's at a con
      -remembered what they are, look up on net at home
      -see price
      -:...(
      -tell mum
      -mum :|
      -tell dad
      -dad :o
      -fall in love with ducan (after a few weeks of browing)
      -convince mum to go to a meetup to see what they are
      -it's my money, and i wants!!
      -buy
      -*in debt*
      -(paid off now though)

19. - Don't recall where I saw dolls first. Maybe Gaia?
      - Go a while without thinking about them.
      - Find them again somewhere.
      - Research like mad.
      - Save up. Get doll. Not easy with no job, took some time.
      - Go for some time and can't really bond, but like the experience of having one.
      - Sell doll.
      - Time passes.
      - Get job, balance it with school.
      - Start looking at new dolls.
      - Waiting to order.

Yup, that's me. My parents have bought me a lot, but they'd never buy me a doll and I'd never dream to ask it of them... They have their own lives and interests to pay for, as well as the burden of two adult children to look after when they can't.... I am guilty of not always being the perfect grown up, but I'm getting better.

20. Mine goes like this.

Saw BJDs when I was 14 and started to research them!
      Hinted slowly to mother that I wanted one during X-mas and B-days
      Finnaly when I turned 18 I flat out rolled on the floor begging going, "Can I just have one BIG present?!" *rolls all over the floor some more*
      "Well, maybe..." She told me.
      So I pushed her into my room and showed a collection of photos with BJDs and told her about them being made out of resin (she was a doll collector and has a few made out of it, knowing they weren't too cheep).
      She Finally said yes.
      I was at a loss because then I realized, I had no clue what doll I wanted. So I started to look for US sellers because I was scared of trying to deal with an Asian site. (who knows why)
      Finally I found DenverDolls and saw the A.O.D dolls (don't know if you have seen the ad on this site yet.) And just fell in love with Juli and Sara.
      I did rename her though!