1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Pro's and Con's of Collection Size

Sep 28, 2011

1. Collection Size: Just hit 13

What exactly ARE the pro's and con's of having a collection your size? (small or large)
      Pros
      : There's always at least one hunk of resin that can represent whatever magical idea you just got, and photos are so much more fun! I love sewing new things and I get bored easily when I can't, but that's never an issue because there's always someone who could use item x. Variety is a big thing with me, I love the fact that each doll is different, with its own personality and its own style- it gives me an endless supply of imagination fodder. Big projects like sets and things are so much more worth it too- you can really see a "world" coming together with lots of dolls.

Cons: I definitely get a little overwhelmed sometimes (usually when they're all in front of me at once, needing face-ups, wigs, eyes, body blushing, attention, sewing and photos). It's also tough to decide who to have and when, and where to put them! I live in an apartment near my university most of the time, and my room there is really small, so I can only have 2 or 3 dolls up at a time and sometimes I can't help but want all of them. It really sucks not to have the space to let the collection grow the way I want it to.

Have you ever caught yourself thinking you'd rather have a collection in a size smaller or larger than what you have now?

I have, though not recently. I love all of my dolls too much. Although I know who I could sell if I was desperate, I don't really want to sell any of them at the moment. The heads are another matter - floaters are slightly easier to part with. XD I've always liked collecting, and I've always liked dolls, so chances are, there's at least another 10 in my future (yup, that's right I said it. 10! I mean, I got 13 in 3 years so... yeah.)

2. This is a topic I've been thinking on a lot lately, actually.

What exactly ARE the pro's and con's of having a collection your size? (small or large)
      I would consider my collection large at 20 dolls once the last two arrive.
      The Pro's:
      1) If I ever decide to do complicated photoshoots, I'll have a lot of dolls to pose. However, getting a good camera and doing photoshoots is something I keep putting off, so I don't know if it'll ever really happen. Honestly, it's hard for me to pose more than 2 at once.
      2) I can see a variety of looks at the same time, so I don't have to change their clothes often.
      3) When I buy things for the dolls, like wigs/eyes/clothes, if it doesn't look good on the doll I bought it for, chances are another doll can wear it.
      4) There are a lot of sculpts I like, so just having one or two wouldn't satisfy me.

Con's
      1) With this many, getting furniture and sets for all of them (or even just nice stands) would be extremely difficult financially, plus it would be time-consuming. Getting nice cabinets would also be expensive. I strongely dislike the way I have them just sitting on my bookshelf and their bench - it just looks sloppy to me.
      2) The massive amount of money spent. I could buy a decent quality grand piano for the amount of money I've spent on dolls. (A grand piano is something I want, not just a random example.)
      3) Fear of losing them in a fire/robbery/other disaster. With this many, I really should get insurance...
      4) The knowledge that one day all of them will be yellowed and less attractive than they are now despite keeping them in a sun-proof room.
      5) Due to the large number of dolls, I have less money to spend on their clothes/eyes/wigs.
      6) It's harder to hide them if people come to my house.
      7) Moving with this many is extremely stressful.

Have you ever caught yourself thinking you'd rather have a collection in a size smaller or larger than what you have now?
      All the time! I wish I didn't have so many, yet I keep buying more. I also have plans for several more dolls, such as more females, which will require a lot of new clothes/wigs. I think if they didn't yellow, I wouldn't be so worried about the amount of money spent. It's very sad when something three years old is considered "old". I have plans to sell several dolls, but it's hard to pick which ones to sell since I haven't had most of them very long, and there are none I dislike. I'm at the point where looking at all of them stresses me out, rather than making me feel better, though. Maybe typing all this out will encourage me to finally list more for sale! (Not that listing them for sale guarantees anything, since there may be no one who wants them...)

3. Collection size is two so far.

Pros:
      I think it's nice to have just two to focus all the time and effort on. You can really develop their personal style and wardrobes because my collection is small enough to focus on both without having to feel like any are neglected for too long. Also, it's definitely easier on my wallet and shelf space.

Cons: Would like more variation, to do faceups with different sculpts and have dolls that are bigger or really tiny.

I would definitely like to expand my collection in the future, but for now I'm happy with the two that I have.

4. Let's see... According to my profile list of dolls (once the incoming ones arrive) I will have 19 dolls in all. *gulp* That's actually quite a few! I never thought of my collection as a large one (possibly because my dolls are mostly in the tinies range) but I suppose 19 qualifies?

The Pros of 19 dolls: I rarely get bored. I get to re-discover my girls every time I rotate them, and it's a pretty awesome feeling to look at a doll you've have put away for a while and get that old thrill of excitement and love. Having a large collection also means that when a certain doll doesn't fit in with the rest I can sell it without feeling any pangs of being doll-less.

The Cons of 19 dolls
      : they do take up a lot of space, even though most of my girls are quite small. They're also quite expensive in terms of wigs, shoes, and eyes- their variation in sizes means they can't share stuff so I have to buy specific things for specific dolls. This means I sometimes end up with too many wigs for one size, and a smaller/larger doll is bald because none of my extra wigs will fit her.

5. Collection size Two, with one on the way!

Pros: I'm going to be buying new legit glass eyes for them soon, BUT. I feel my girls are complete. I decided to stop looking at other dolls to buy for the time being so I can focus on getting the wig/eyes for the boy that's coming in, and then he'll be complete as well. It's easy to focus and get dolls together to suit their characters this way, and no guilt over whether or not one's not getting enough attention from me.

Cons: I'm new, and feel like I should be sprinting towards more, more, more dolls! It's really hard to take a step back and say, "I really want this, but--I need to focus on what I already have." But, again, there's the money juggle--but still, it does get boring sometimes with only two (we'll see how things go when the boy gets here, ahahaa~) I have to keep reminding myself to pace myself, and that I have plenty of time to save up and get more dollies through the later years to come.

But overall? I don't think I'd ever want to go over 7 or 8. I think a general rule I like having is "Finish your vegetables before you have dessert"--that is, finishing working on your "last" doll before you jump to get another new one. We'll see how well I can stick to that, though. It's worked so far, at least. ;)

6. My collection is 6 dolls. 2 Puki's, A LTF, A Bambicrony Ciao Bella and 2 MNF's.

Pros: When I started out I wanted a small collection. Having more than 6 would make me feel super guilty about the money I've spent. I know that just in dolls alone it's well over $1,000 so I can't see getting more. I like my variety. They can all share clothing, my YO-SD sizes can share wigs with my MNF's.

Cons: I limit myself to 6, so as many new dolls as I'd like to get, and as much as I dislike my lack of diversity (Darn you Fairyland), I don't feel like I can justify getting more unless I sell one, and since my collection is so small I feel connected to each of them and 'can't' let any of them go. :(

I've caught myself wishing I had only 4 and that they were more diverse than just 5 FL dolls and one random Bambicrony.

7. I don't know about you guys, but I have a problem with self control. I see something I like, and I'll save to get it no matter what. So at some point, I'm sure I'll have way too many dolls. But the nice thing I've noticed with ABJD dolls is their resale value is pretty amazing. Especially if you customize. So why not indulge yourself? You can always sell them to someone who will be totally stoked to buy their first doll?

8. Good post! I have 12 dolls now, so I would say my collection is more on the large side. Though it's too late now (since I couldn't bare to let anyone go by choice), I really wish I could have kept it small. I feel there are just too many cons to having a large collection. And though it would be wise to stop with the number I have, there are still a few more dolls I would love to own.

Pros:
      1. I never get bored with my dolls.
      2. Multiple sizes are fun for dressing.
      3. Most of my dolls can share clothing.
      3. More dolls = more personalities
      (great for photos, stories, etc...).

Cons:
      1. Expenses go up! (maintenance, face-ups, clothing, etc...)
      2. I fall behind on a lot of maintenance and projects for each doll.
      3. I don't feel I spend enough time with each doll.
      4. Handling/posing/carrying more than two dolls at a time is troublesome.
      5. I feel there is more of a financial risk accounting for a lot of dolls.
      6. Not enough space for them!

9. My collection is a little over 60 resin dolls. I do have a love for Fairyland dolls. Let's see how many can identify with this one, I only wanted one! Well, I think that same month I had 3 and somewhere along the line things just got out of control. Would I change my collection if given the chance? NOPE!

Pros: I just adore this hobby! The pleasure I receive is priceless! I have no idea as to how so many dolls came to live here but I do say to be aware of your passwords, I think they order friends and family when you step away from the computer!

Cons: And it's not just the dolls, that part is easy...it's all the stuff that goes with each doll, wig, shoes, clothing, furniture, cute toys and on and on! Sometimes it's the never ending search for stuff that drives me up a wall along with the cost, seems like ebay sellers know about bjd's and the prices went way up but of course we also have other collectors bidding on the same items cause our dolls must have all those goodies! :)

10. OK - time to answer for myself!

Doll count: 2 Dolls (wishlist has about 12, though most are heads)

Small Collection Pro's:
      - No one gets lost or forgotten about (I tend to do this with large collections of other things I have)
      - In total, you can get more things per doll than you probably would with a larger collection
      - In case there was a natural disaster, or a fire, they could easily fit in one bag along with other important items (I've actually thought of how I'd fit my two into an escape plan if the need ever arose)
      - Buying glass eyes isn't as pricey (in total)
      - You don't have too many eyes staring at you while you sleep
      - Sewing isn't too overwhelming
      - Other hobbies that could be used for BJDs (jewelry-making, for me) can have more time devoted to them for that purpose

Small Collection Con's:
      - Not suddenly discovering how awesome your collection is when you realize you have a doll you haven't had out often
      - Not being able to really wonder who you're going to have with you today (even with two, I feel this way)
      - Don't have a doll to match every interest or mood
      - Dolls kind of get lost among the stuff you already own
      - Even with two dolls, you can still get overwhelmed

I have, sometimes. At some point, I'd like to have somewhere around ten dolls.

But sometimes, it gets a little overwhelming with two. I like to keep everything balanced, so I try to make sure that both have the same things in terms of props, clothes, and wigs. I'm now trying to make sure that, if one has something, the other gets something similar to that.

11. What exactly ARE the pro's and con's of having a collection your size?
      Mine is quite small right now with only three girls. One 1/3 size and two tinies.
      :) Pros - Easy to handle and I mean this spending wise because you don't have to buy new wigs (for example) for a lot of dolls. I also mean it in terms of carrying/holding because the two tinies can go in my purse and the 1/3 can go in a carrier bag so it is super easy to take them along for meetups. Oh and you get to really focus on the few dolls you have.
      :eek: Cons - Not an issue for me but maybe for others... not big enough for photostories? Not enough variety? I'm totally loving my small group so I don't see any cons.

Actually I don't see my dolls as part of a "collection". I just see them as part of random stuff I enjoy to keep me occupied. I got my dolls to enjoy and play with, not to collect. I mean I'm sure technically they could be called a collection but I don't see them that way at all. So I don't catch myself thinking, "Oh I wish my collection was bigger. I want to be a hardcore BJD collector." Instead I dream more along the lines of this, "Hmm... I wonder what a LittleFee boy would be like? What if I get a MiniFee couple? Or how about some of those new PukiFees?" (Yes I think in couples and only about FairyLand dolls now). :sweat

12. Good question! My collection has grown, shrunk, and grown over the years. I currently have 4 dolls with me at the moment: 3 SD size and one Yo SD size.

What exactly ARE the pro's and con's of having a collection your size?
      Pros: Variety! The dolls I have are based off of characters, and each one of them is unique. I like the ability to either buy or create new clothes or accessories for them because if one doll may not wear a certain thing, another one might. I also love having their faces done up by different artists - no two dolls are painted by the same artist! It's almost like collecting pieces of art for me all on its own.

Cons: Expenses. Space isn't really an issue, but the cost of dressing up and making my dolls "complete" (as in fully dressed with just the right faceups, eyes, and wigs) seems to be the biggest con. Since I'm very limited on funds, my dolls come together very, very slowly.

Sometimes I think back to when I got my first BJD, which I've since sold. I did like having her as my only one as she felt oddly like an "only child" for me. I could focus all my attention on her and she was rather spoiled for a doll while I had her! I sometimes wish I did have that one doll again, but I've bonded with my current dolls I have so much so that I couldn't imagine parting with them.

I find myself kind of substituting in a way by focusing my attention on one doll at a time. While I'm very content with my four, I surprisingly wouldn't object to a fifth if I found that new doll that would be "just right" for me and the rest of my crew!

13. Right? They're just like kids! :doh I found a small flower pot at Jo-Ann's the other day to bring home for Sylva, and I wound up spending half an hour in there searching for something to bring back for Lenka, too, ahahaa~ And I'm with you on the glass eyes thing, too. It was like, "Oh, that's not too bad, to bump the girls up to glass eyes and get a set for the guy. Huh."

But at the same time, I feel like... if you "finish" the doll(s) you just bought, before shipping in some more, it shouldn't...get so overwhelming? Maybe?

14. This is a great topic!

Pros: I have 3 large BJDs and a couple of small dolls on order now. Even as I wait for these dolls to arrive, I find myself wanting others already :o I know due to limited space, I will need to keep my collection of larger BJDs small. I have been collecting many types of dolls for many years. I have been to the point (in the past) where much of my collection was stored away. I realized that I stored more dolls than I had out to look at. That made me scale back and sell quite a few dolls. Now, I try very hard to keep things under control.

Cons: Knowing myself, I know I will always see new dolls I will want to buy. However, I know I do not want to go back to having such a large collection that most of my dolls stay in their boxes. I would love to have a large collection of larger size BJDs, but I know it is not realistic for me.

I am trying to appreciate the dolls I now have, and the ones that will be coming home very soon. It will always be a struggle for me to stop myself from buying new dolls I see and fall for. I am trying to gain control over myself and my collection :)

15. My current collection is at eleven 1/3 scale dolls and two tinies and it's gotten to be too many big dolls for me. I'm thinking eight or nine big dolls, one or two 1/4 scale and the 2 tinies would be about perfect. So, I guess that puts me in the pro-smaller collection camp? I guess? Kind of a big-small collection.

Pros of a smaller collection -- easier to display. I don't like keeping dolls stored out of sight in boxes. I'd rather only have dolls I love and want to have on display at all times. I have one big doll case, and a small collection fits nicely in that case.

Also, clutter is starting to seriously grate on me in my old age, and I'm on a quest to declutter my house as much as I can. It looks too crowded in my doll case when there are too many big dolls in there. I don't like them all smooshed in. I prefer them to have some negative space around them, so I can see their pretty outfits and accessories, etc.

Cons -- choosing which dolls to keep and which to sell if the collection gets too big. Adding a new doll means the death of an old doll, which can be a tiny bit heartbreaking. But there's not really any other way to maintain a smaller collection (for me, anyway).

The reality is that I'll probably end up keeping a couple of dolls in boxes and doing a display rotation.

16. So far I have 5 dolls home (3 SD, 1 MSD, and 1 tiny), 2 SDs on their way home, and 4 SDs paid off but nowhere near ready. :-D

What exactly ARE the pro's and con's of having a collection your size?
      Pros:
      It's so nice to FINALLY have visual shells of my characters. I love looking at them, they inspire me, they make me happy, and it's fun to interact with them. I love taking pictures of them, I love that they're there when it's been a long, bad day and I find them just so beautiful that I always feel grateful for them.
      Cons: Well, for a second there, space was a valid concern (I live in a 1-bedroom efficiency). I have since, I think, solved it, though doll box storage may become an issue. The sheer expense is the main concern, though. Getting a doll to completion is way more expensive than I ever thought it would be. Plus, with so many, it's hard to divide money amongst everyone. If I get a new outfit for one, I feel compelled to get a new outfit for all. I also HATE letting a doll sit around incomplete till I get the funds. It makes me feel bad, like I'm a bad doll owner. So, sometimes, it can be a kinda unnecessarily stressful.

Nope! When I got into this, I bought three in succession because I thought that would be it (they were three of my main, pre-existing characters). But, I'm enjoying this hobby so much and how inspiring these dolls are that I want as many as I can. Making up stories for them has been some of the best parts of this year and I wouldn't change that for anything. I've just decided to be really careful about who I buy. I have to be inspired by them and that keeps me interested in them and makes me not wish to not have them for all the world. :D

17. My collection: Too many! (That's been my stock answer for years now, and I'm sticking to it. XD) Seriously, though, even after selling on the majority of my white resin dolls last year, I probably still have one of the larger collections on the board. The entire crew is listed on my profile page if you're really curious...

Pros: Choice and opportunity. No matter what I'm in the mood to photograph, sew for or play with, the odds are good I have someone in the crew who fits the bill. If someone in the local group wants to see a particular size or type of doll, I may well have one to hand them. If someone wants a comparison of Delf Sculpt A and Sculpt B, or a comparison of and Old CP X and a New CP X, I might have both and be able to provide it. If I come across a really ace outfit, there's rarely a question about having a doll it would fit and look great on.... Plus it's a lot of fun to be able to rotate who's on display at any given time. Having a different doll or group of dolls "out from behind the glass" every week or two keeps things interesting. A larger collection that's displayed together well, even behind glass, can also be pretty impressive in its own right. I've had houseguests (Youngsters in particular-) go absolutely googly over the residents of my display cabinets. Not that I don't do that too, sometimes. :lol:

Cons: Maintainence can become overwhelming... Before I had my cabinets, I spent as much time dusting my crew as I spent doing anything else with them. o_0 As others have mentioned, they also take up space. Mine are pretty well confined to the cabinets and one side-table display area, with a handful of larger dolls kept upstairs in the spare room we use as a library, but the dolls themselves are just the tip of the iceberg. I also have part of a closet and two small chests of drawers devoted to all of their "stuff". Outfits, wigs, eyes, shoes, props, spare chairs and all that. It adds up, even when you're a neat-freak who's careful about keeping everything in its place.

There are also.... let's call them "social issues"... to contend with. Other threads have mentioned suppositions of added responsibility towards the community when you have a large collection. That's not a huge deal in my experience, though it does come up occasionally. No, what's more annoying is The Disapproval Squad; those busy-body arbiters of What's Proper, who just love letting everyone know how terrible they think large collections are on principle, and how neglected those "poor, unloved dollies" trapped with such an awful owner must be. I have to admit, those people usually just make me laugh when I consider my own collection, but the attitude does get old after awhile.

Have I ever considered a different collection size? Sure. I never set out with the intention to have more than one or two, and there have been a few times when I've thought about going back to a handful rather than keeping the small tribe I have now. The feeling never lasts long. I'm simply too fond of too many of these guys to discard them without a more compelling reason than "Someone on the internet thinks I own too many" or "This collection represents a lot of money I could have spent on something else that takes up even more space". If I ever do get to the point where I no longer enjoy having them around, I'll cull the herd and have no regrets... But I suspect that'll be a long time coming with most of this bunch.

18. What exactly ARE the pro's and con's of having a collection your size?
      When the new boy comes in, I'll have fifty.

Pros:

I have more than one 'family', so I can play with different worlds depending on how I feel a certain day. I can change styles and have many options for if I feel totally punk, Victorian, Steampunk, or etc. I even have a disabled doll. Someone once told me that our dolls\characters were reflections of parts of ourselves. If that's true, I'm entirely fragmented. XD

Cons:

Sometimes I feel like they don't get enough attention. That I could spend more on their wigs, eyes, and so forth. But I'm always bringing things home for them and I make clothes and such for them so I don't think they go without. Some of them can sit for weeks without being cuddled but that's usually the cold aloof ones anyway!

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I sold them and focused on just one group or just tinies or something, but I love them too much. All of the ones I have I have too much of a connection to. It seems insane to think I have a connection and love of fifty, but I do. I can tell you something special about each one. Because they're important to me. I don't really have a hobby not connected to the dolls so...they're my life. My books, my sewing, my jewelry making, my photography, and even my cooking is all intertwined with them. Heck, my blog is "The Writer and the Resin Roomates" because that's what they are. A family made of resin.

19. I'm up to 40 BJDs now, not counting floating heads. While it is a far cry from some collections, when I first started in this hobby, I only wanted one.

Pros:
      1. Having lots of loveliness all around me.
      2. Having various sizes makes it fun because some are small enough to bring anywhere while others are large and heavy enough to really play.
      3. I get to sew for a lot of different sizes and dolls and they can wear fashions I can't.

Cons:
      1. Running out of space to display and/or store them all. Lots of dolls means lots of paraphenalia, too.
      2. Would love to have saved the money instead (although I wouldn't trade the enjoyment I get from mine)
      3. Since my collection is large for my standards, it is difficult to really have the time to enjoy them all.

Yes, I think I would love to have a smaller collection a lot, but who to get rid of? For the most part I enjoy them all or they have sentimental value. Since the economy isn't that great, the resale value is down and I don't want to lose a lot of money either.

20. What exactly ARE the pro's and con's of having a collection your size? My collection consists of one doll as of now. Since I have just one doll, I spend all my dolly time on her. ^^ I don't have to worry about being "fair" when buying stuff nor do I ever spend time deciding who to take out for a public trip.

I don't think of my doll(s) as a collection. I do have more dolls on my wishlist, but that's just because I like the sculpts. I would like to obtain those dolls just because they're beautiful.