1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Pro's and Con's of Collection Size

Sep 28, 2011

1. My collection - Horde.

Pros:
      I get to have lots of pretty dolls that make me happy.
      I can do photo stories with lots of characters because I have the dolls for (almost) all the characters.
      I have variety to suit my mood (especially in regards to what/which doll to bring where).

Cons:
      More dolls mean, more dolls that one can get to expand the family. (You get X doll, now you need Y doll as X's spouse, and Z as their child, and...and...), and this becomes expensive obviously.
      People seem to have more of an opinion over your collection if it's larger. They put judgements that you shouldn't have so many dolls if you can't dress them at a certain level, that you don't spend enough time or maintenance on them, etc...
      Space can be an issue, especially as I want my dolls out, but I've found more and more creative ways to handle the space situation. (But I want my 'doll room' back!).

Would I want a smaller collection? Yes and No. When looking at the doll horde as a whole it's a bit overwhelming but then when I go and look at the doll individually I can't part with them.

2. Exactly the same with me! I can't part with them. It's a bit annoying as I know they're not alive, they have no feelings or anything but I love them!

3. Collection Size: 1
      Pro:
      I can invest a lot of time and effort into my one doll. I also give him toooons of attention! Only having 1 doll also makes it easier saving up for the next doll, since I only need to shop for my one doll.

Con:
      It can get a little lonely!! I do think I'm missing out of a lot of fun opportunities because I only have 1 doll. I can't do photostories either :( Where's the fun if you can't share it with someone else?

Have you ever caught yourself thinking you'd rather have a collection in a size larger than what you have now?
      OH YES. Although I think my maximum collection size I'd like to go to is 10 dolls, I do like taking it slowly and investing a lot of time and effort into the dolls I have. I feel that if I had 10 dolls right now they wouldn't be clothed or given proper attention. But I do want MORE DOLLS even if it takes me several years to get there!

4. One thing I like about having many dolls is changing their face-ups, clothes, wigs, and eyes from time to time. I find many "cons" to having a large collection though.............there are ALWAYS a few that get left out and ignored. I can get easily overwhelmed with having too many dolls. I have no idea how many is too many though!

5. I currently have three dolls, two SDs and one MSD.

Pros: Each doll gets a bigger slice of my $ pie, my attention span and time! Which is the way I like it. I want to be able to spoil each of them silly!

Cons: There are still other sculpts that I want to own, but only a few. I love having a handful of dolls, and I think my perfect number is five.

Have you ever caught yourself thinking you'd rather have a collection in a size smaller or larger than what you have now? I did have a larger collection -- of 4 dolls. And believe it or not, that was too many for me to handle at the time! So I'm now happy having only three. I do want to get the rest of my wishlisted dolls, but I'm not in any hurry and am contented with going at my own slow pace.

6. I have five dolls right now, four of them being MSD and one being SD. I also often have two YoSD girls at my place as a more-or-less temporary part of my collection ;) It's not enough for me and I'm aiming towards a much bigger collection.

What exactly ARE the pro's and con's of having a collection your size?

Pros:
      + each doll has a different body type, which makes them great sewing models,
      + the variety of dolls makes it hard for me to get bored with them,
      + they look really good on my shelves ;D
      + accesories I buy will always be useful for one doll or another
      Cons:
      + having many dolls, I don't devote as much attention to each of them,
      + too many dolls, too few wigs/shoes/eyes
      + they take up so much space!

Have you ever caught yourself thinking you'd rather have a collection in a size smaller or larger than what you have now?
      Actually, I was of half the mind to sell off everything but my Narae. However, giving everyone new face-ups and making new clothes convinced me not to get rid of them. No regrets ;)

7. When I started out in the BJD hobby I thought: "one doll". When the first one arrived, this thought changed to "well... maybe two. or three. or..." Four years and eleven dolls (and a head) later, I understand how far fetched my initial idea of a "perfect collection" was XD

What exactly ARE the pro's and con's of having a collection your size? (small or large)

Pros:
      - lots of photography choices
      - can do face-ups on different kinds of dolls
      - no limit to fantasy. Can make green dolls, red dolls, orange dolls, horned dolls... and still have a "cute girl in a frilly dress" on one of the shelves.
      - Have a variety of dolls to choose from when going to a meet.

Cons:
      - lots of money *___* (Pro: had to find a well paid job to afford the hobby in the first place :))
      - I have to think of places where to keep them. For the MSDs and Yo-SDs I had to buy a shelf. The SDs I currently have just occupy the free corners as they are too large to be put into a showcase. And I have a hooved doll incomming - wonder where I'm going to put her.
      - Eyes and Wigs. No, I have at least 3-4 spare wigs at home, but the trouble is... they are spare, i.e. don't really fit the dolls I have ^__^;; So I am always on a hunt for something true to my idea of the character.
      - Which brings me to the concept of time. Having so many ideas put to life is just damn time consuming. But still lots of fun.

Have you ever caught yourself thinking you'd rather have a collection in a size smaller or larger than what you have now?

Occasionally I get tired and sell half the collection, then buy new dolls instead. The only problem is that I can never get of all dolls of one size range - otherwise I'd have lots and lots of doll clothes that noone can wear (:

8. Collection size: 16

Pros of Collection Size:
      -I have lots of super cute dolls, it can be hard to argue with that being awesome :sweat
      -My dolls can interact together, and I have enough of them that they fulfill different roles (the dark character, the sweet character, etc)

Cons:
      -It takes a lot of time, effort, and money to shop for them all
      -I'm slightly overwhelmed by the horde
      -They take up quite a bit of space
      -I feel like I have more of them than I can appreciate
      -Even after almost 5 years of collecting, some of my dolls have never gotten some of the things they need, primarily shoes

I want a smaller collection, and I've been selling dolls (I sold so many!) and planning to sell dolls to reach this end. But there are still sculpts I want! It can be frustrating. I actually don't have a problem with collection size, so much as that I want to cut it to where I can manage it now, then make sure that the future dolls come in slowly enough for each doll to have her own perfect wig, eyes, faceup, a pair of shoes, and at least 2 awesome outfits before I get another one. So my future plan is not so much to aim for a smaller group, but to make sure that new dolls come in with more space between them so that I am not sitting at a group of dolls who need a bunch of accessories.

9. Three full dolls, with two on the way and several floating heads.

Pros:
      -I don't feel overwhelmed
      -It's the right amount for how much I'm able to spend
      -I have photography options
      -I can learn how to sew for all of them

Cons:
      -I want more (Not sure if this is really a con ;))
      -I feel like my collection is not fully complete

10. What exactly ARE the pro's and con's of having a collection your size?

The pro's to having a large collection would bethe sheer amount you can do with them. I spend a good deal of time doing face-ups and thinking about stories. Also I have plans for sets etc to make for them one day.
      You've never stuck with one Style either. I put a lot of character and back story into my dolls. So being able to create multitude sof those is fun!
      Another pro is eventually your wish list dwindles and you can see yourself stopping the 'collecting' part. I've got two dolls and a few bodies but unless a Very artsy doll comes out I doubt I'll buy another. At most i might reshell but that's it.

The cons? SPACE. I am over flowing in my current living conditions and it's a bit/a lot annoying. I would never give my dolls up but I am looking forwards to moving! Specially when you ad in not just the dolls themselves but the clothing and art supplies etc.

The cost. I'm lucky to have been able to pay cash in a short amount of time for my dolls. Putting off a few other life things in their stead. but when you let yourself hav a large collection it ads up. You sometimes wonder if you really should have spent so much!

Not really. I have all the doll sizes and I'd hate to give any of them up to have a more reasonable collection. I'll keep my multitudes happily! :D

11. Doll Count:7 total and 2 on layaway with at least 3 more planned.

Pros: I have a doll for just about all my moods or when Idea's hit. They all tend to be of different types aka egyptin, fantasy ect. They All ecept for one can share clothing. I can more to choose from when I am going to a dollmeet up or a con. The dolls are not lonely when I am a away.

Cons: MOre dolls more money spent. While I have more to choose from sometime choosing one to take is hard. Storage is a big issue I have a good size house for one person but I have a gaint dog and two cats and finding safe spots is not easy. I find also having a large collection it tend to bring more dolls in. I can't have A doll without B doll and they both need XYZ outfits sigh.

Yes sometimes I have thought of both. A small collection would make it easier to hand and buy for the dolls but having its hard to part with most of my collection due to having them so long and loving the charaters.