1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychology related to dolls

Jan 4, 2007

1. Hmm, maybe that explains it, I have maternal instincts AND a god complex...

2. I don't want to be a mom, but I do like having something to take care of.

However I think I like dolls more to....
      -escape my own reality and do things in a fantasy land that I've always wanted to do and be things I always wanted to be.
      -maintain a child like state that is void of adult responsibilities
      -to be able to controll the outcome, something I can't do in real life
      -artist outlet, imagination station!

3. Sometimes I want to be a boy, but I think it has to do with how everyone treats me as a girl... My mother always tells me that if I can't cook or clean, no one will marry me. When I was little, I asked my dad why I had to learn stupid things like cleaning and cooking and he said, "It's because you're a girl." He told me that if I'd been born a boy, I wouldn't have to do such things. And sometimes I think he'd like me more if I were a boy since he wanted a son really badly and it's kind of hard for him since he's the only man in the house.

But...I like me. I think it's cool being a girl, but that doesn't mean I'll act like the way everyone tells me too. Nothing's growing inside me and nothings coming out of me, that's for sure. DX And I did play with Barbies when I was little and didn't buy Kens because they didn't come with cool enough stuff, but now, I only want a boy doll. And I don't think he's be a child for me at all. Maybe people haven't realized yet that boys play with dolls too or that not all girls want babies or to start a family?

4. I am in my 40's..have never wanted kids...so it doesn't apply to me either..these dolls are just a way for me to splurge on some thing totally frivolous for myself..and have something beautiful to look at and dress.

I am a "mom" though, to my 4 footed kids...

5. I don't want kids. I can't stand them. That is why I like dolls. They don't run, they don't scream, they don't have drippy noses and watery eyes or sticky fingers. You don't really have to look after them and deal with the teacher when they get in troubble. They also don't cost as much as a kid unless you're buying a LOT of them.

I find childeren completely impractical. (Not saying spending 500+ on a doll is practical really but it's a hobby rather than an obligation.)

Plus, you can't sell your kids off if you don't 'bond' with them.

6. Nope, no maternal instinct here. No desire to ever have children (and I'm 26 so I think I should have noticed by now if I did). :) Maybe a sort of catch-up thing since I was never that fond of dolls as a kid? That's not all of it though... I think for most BJD owners, it's just a (maybe excessively ;)) healthy desire to PLAY. I enjoy creating characters in writing, drawing, animation - why not in dolls? Can't say that all writers want children because they create realistic characters, right?

But hey, at least your friend didn't say we're all psychos! J/K ;)

7. I agree wholly with Ravendolls - except she was much more succinct than I've ever been.

8. PFTTTTTTTTTTT!! did your friends degree come from a cornflakes box???

My dolls do NOT replace my kids, despite me calling them the resinkids.. I interact with them on a TOTALLY different level, more as peers and friends

Seek peace

Carol

9. Pseudo-maternal instincts. Dolls require a lot less attention than a real child. Dolls won't starve or die from neglect. Dolls have personalities and looks you can change at will. And, if you don't "bond" with a doll anymore, you can sell it, and no one would sic the Morality Police on you. XD

You need to play The Sims2. 8D

10. You've named yourself well PoeticSoul.:daisy

Beautiful.

11. lol this discussion is great! I can definatly say your friend is wrong for me. Kids are great and all and its fun to play with them but at the end of the day when they go home with they're real parents is the best part!! :) I know I don't want kids anytime soon if ever!!

I played with dolls as a kid and I loved barbie until I was 13 when I was told I was to old to have them. So having BJD is just an exuse to play with my dolls again :lol:

ROFLMAO .. that was hysterical and soooooo true, although there is always the adoption option!

and just as a p.s...... Solo_Arcana your sig is hilarious! I literally fell off my chair laughing.

12. I think it's true for me.

13. That's how I feel. I mean, if you don't want your doll anymore, sell them for cash. xD Selling a kid gets you thrown into prison and people whine about it. DX Besides, even though I would probably care for my doll like a would a child, I'd do things I wouldn't do to a child, like leave him alone for hours or when I didn't feel like giving him attention. It's not like you have to keep playing with the doll if you don't want to and you can do things at your own time. Children require full attention at all times. DX

My sis played the sims, don't remember which version. Her child got taken by social services, then she set her house on fire and didn't call the police, so her sim died. xD She also made them have affairs and let them get caught. Sometimes, she'd find ways to make them gay. The PC version is better and a lot more fun...

I don't think kids should all die or anything cruel like that. I mean, sometimes they're fun and I admit they're cute, but you're right. Knowing you're not the one that's responsible for them is the best part, especially when you're just not ready to take care of something like a kid.

14. Well! If that were the case, wouldnt we be a sick bunch! Think of all the "adult" positions these dolls are put in, or some of the torturous backstories they have. Would you really treat a child that way? I wouldnt.

Besides, I have 2 kids already; no way do I need an army of resin children to fill *that* part of my life! :p

15. When I discovered BJDs a year ago, I thought, how fortunate young people are today, having this hobby that fosters artistic talents and creativity. The customization aspect of this hobby really extends far beyond simply playing with dolls. I was also facinated by how BJDs appeal to the younger group as when I was in my teens and early adult years in the early 90's, the choices available to me were barbies (people didn't really repaint back then) or making antique bisque dolls (mostly popular with old ladies). At last a doll that can satisfy teens and younger adults! (Dolls used to be for kids and older moms or grandmas)

I bring this up because I think what is special about BJDs, as others have already mentioned is the creativity one is able to express through the doll, (such as faceups, profiles, stories, and photography), the projection of oneself or one's fantasy into the doll, (such as dressing the doll in punk or period costumes), and the control one has with such a doll (customization of a doll's eyes and wig as opposed to dolls with unremovable hair and eyes).

As to the psycologist's comments relating BJDs to maternal instincts, I feel that it may hold more truth if these were baby dolls. Perhaps he is not aware the demographics of BJD fans vs. doll fans in general. My friend actually made the same comments to me, telling me that I really want to be a mother.

I, for one, at 34, don't want any children. In fact, I'd hypothesize that BJD lovers probably has equal or less of a tendency to want children than the general public. I enjoy BJDs for all the reasons I cited above, and for them being such beautiful objects. I've always loved dolls, and finding BJDs is like a dream come true. I wish they were invented when I was a teen, but better late than never!

16. I want kids later in life but my interest in these dolls stems from "anime action figures" and far out sci-fi back stories.

17. you know what? I actually do REALLY want to be a mom XD
      But I can wait ;_;

It could also be putting an ideal to life? like and ideal self or and ideal person/ character? A lot of people make elaborate characters....

No... let's be simple, maybe it's just for the fun of it XD

18. well, I guess in a sense, my doll is like a son to me ^^; but more than that, I see it as a way to live vicariously. My doll has a part of my personality that I am pretty much unable to express. He can also look any way I want him to, when I can't do that myself. For me, dolls are like the embodiment of things I wish I could be. I know it sounds kinda weird, but I can't explain it any better XD

19. I really don't feel like I should be responsible ANY living being (including plants). I barely keep myself alive! besides, kids hate me and i reciprocate >x</

as for maternity... i really enjoy playing with my kid and yes, i DO call Miya 'my kid' out of respect to my decision to adopt him which took 2 years of research and re-thinking (also terms such as those are common in Asian(kr and jp) bjd communities) and to the sculptor as well. I really love my kid, and sometimes I feel like I spoil him too much when I shouldn't. It's because when I get new things for him, it's not really for him, per se, but it's for my own satisfaction of having him done in a way I want to. so clear and simple. after all, this is crystal clear definition of PLAY-To occupy oneself in amusement(from answers.com ^^)
      However, I never hug him, or kiss him, even when I'm by myself. Unless I HAVE TO place him on my laps for necessarry purposes he pretty much stays independent of my touch. It is not because I'm afraid of breaking him or any of that sort. It just feels awkward. I don't like being touched and so's he(lol).

...I do wish him to have a good day when I leave for work though. ^^

20. Ha! That's...really, really funny, when I try to apply it to myself. My husband and I have been married for almost six years now, with no kids, and I'm probably the least maternal person either of us knows. All the other folks in the family go nuts over babies, but I'd much rather not be bothered with them at all until they're at least four or five.

I like them because I've always liked dolls, they're beautiful, and they can be changed and personalized kind of like paper dolls (I always loved those), but much, much more so. And...they're beautiful. And I like pretty things.