1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychology related to dolls

Jan 4, 2007

1. That would be why I have a husband and a dog... not why I have dolls.

No genetic spawn for me... thanks!

2. I want to be a teacher! Well, a professor. I told my mom, "My students will become my kids." So there. It's better than having your own. And seriously, so many people have commented that they don't want kids period. I've written stories for a long time and I RP a lot, so I have many characters, though my doll isn't based on a character. He sort of...has a personality that takes traits from characters to make a new character...

He shares the name of a character I already have, though it's my favorite name...Nathaniel. It's also the name of my laptop and the cat that comes by every so often. But my doll is something I can use my imagination on. I mean, think of the outfits you can make or the combinations you can create with what you have. More than being about babies, it's about expressing our ideas.

3. I don't want children and don't really like kids. I am planning to become a college professor. Ha ha:lol: another teacher. For me I think owning dolls is more about having neat things that I like. The "Ooh, I like pretty things," syndrome again I suppose. I don't treat KK like a child and never will.

4. i think i am half motherly and half control freak, but who has more then 5 kids in today's society???

i dun think my husband will be rich if i had that number of kids.... and kids are exp to raise.... BJD cheaper and well they dun cry or make when they are outside~~~ lol

but they do have those 'i want new stuff' streak in them...sighs

5. Another person that also wants to become a professor! It's also another reason I don't want kids. Getting a PhD will be lots of work and I can't afford to be distracted... And I'm trying to get into a competative university... It'll be hard to take care of kids and keep up with the work I'll be doing, so I think kids would only make my life more complicated. I wouldn't treat Nathaniel like a child either. I think we only treat them so carefully because they're expensive, not easily replaced, and might break.

6. Remember though, a LOT of us are writers or aspiring writers. Saying that those of us who are bringing our characters (RP, Novel, Comic, whatever) 'to life' in doll form are doing so because we want to procreate would be implying that all fiction writers write because they want children!

Personally, I'm not a big fan of kids, even when they're in the 'cute baby' stage. I lose patience with them far too quickly. I LIKE not having any of my own - I get to hand them back when they do things like scream, or bleed, or smell, or start sucking on objects, or cry, or whine, or want food, or fall asleep and get boring, or...you get the picture.

While I agree that it's possible that some collectors do so because of maternal instincts, I think that a lot of people are using their dolls to act out parts of their own personality that they would otherwise be (incapable of or) uncomfortable expressing. I suppose you could reasonably claim that many ABJD collectors at least in part live vicariously through their dolls (I know I sometimes do, and I could name ten or twenty other members of DoA off the top of my head who blatantly do so, if I didn't think it would be impolite to point fingers) , but claiming that all (or most) of us want children and are expressing it through the dolls is a bit too much of a stretch, in my mind.

Your friend sounds like fun. Maybe he should join. Then again, he might try to use the dolls to repress his urge to reproduce, and that would be a shame. ^_~

7. I hate children. A lot.

I hate children. A lot.

I hate children. A lot.

8. You don't really have to have children to put maternal instincts to work^^ Caring for a pet is kind of the same thing.

Anyway...I have a child and I don't feel about my doll and my kid the same way at all lol XD

9. That's a very generalized statement. It could be true for some people, but I know for myself, I have no maternal instincts ; )

10. I think your friend is wrong!

Here there are lots of boys and girls too young for be a mother/father!
      And also here there are lots of mothers and (I don't know if there are)fathers

:daisy I think we are people with lots of love to give :daisy

11. Nah, we're just control freaks, maybe XDDDD

Dolls are better than children anyway. I hate kids... really, hate them. ><; Everything about them between the age of zero til about 9 (at which point, I stop despising them and start wishing they were just on another planet). Dolls don't smell, and they don't scream, and they don't cause a scene unless you let them. They don't talk back and they don't argue; they do what you want (for the most part)... Altogether better than dragging around a stinky little stupid thing. This is largely my view on cats too - kittens can be a bit silly, but they grow up quick and they don't stink.

Anyway, enough about me - I have them because they are good photography models, are fun to customise and are very good for making friends. It's an oddly sociable hobby despite the stigma that might be atached to non-children who play with dolls. :)

Like a few other people have said, my dolls are more like a friend than a child. I know they won't get up and leave me, or suddenly decide one day that they don't like me any more. I've been addressed with "Why did you bring THAT here? What's with the DOLL??" before; but y'know.. "Why did you bring that screaming pink bundle of puke with you?" >>;

....... I thought I'd grow out of this feeling. XD I think I'm having some anti-baby rage I need to work out. XDD I'm gunna go play with my dolls now. XD (And hey, when a doll gets on your nerves, you can just take the elastic out as a "Serves you right!" XD)

12. This discussion is just fascinating. Thanks to all who are giving us a peek into BJD motivation. I see many folks love tapping into the creative energy of BJDs.

Some more thoughts have been coming up reading the posts here.
      My first reaction was some surprise at the frequent and intense dislike of children. I remember I decided at about age 8 that I never wanted children. that evolved into feeling too immature to be a parent. Then finally feeling safely tucked into a great long term relationship (me being over 30) I heard the biological clock ticking. Parenthood changed my life and to some degree changed me. It has allowed me many insights into my own childhood and allowed me to understand and appreciate my own mother with new eyes.

About children playing with dolls - My daughter and I played many doll stories, mostly with American Girl dolls. The stories often involved role reversal; she was the mom while I talked the doll who was her child. This kind of play helped her explore her own needs and frustrations from a new point of view. I guess it was a bit of play therapy and gestalt role playing.
      Hey I guess that college education came in handy after all!

13. I think that theory is taking the whole thing to the most simple, basic level. I never plan on having children and the thought of being a Mum makes my skin crawl! :shudder

But I think the real reason was explored on Japanarama when they covered BJD ownership. The explanation was that the doll represents your "ideal" in life. I mean for goodness sake I'm waiting to get my first girl and she's 70cm, a monolith in BJD terms and I am five foot one in real life! I think I have height issues! :lol:

The other reason is having a creative output. Making them individual and bringing your imagination to life. I think

And of course I love to photograph and a lot of people these days go all stupid as soon as you pull a camera on them!

14. I think that's way too simple a projection on what the dolls mean.

I never wanted to have kids, and never did. The only motherly instincts I have are dedicated to my dogs, who are living, breathing creatures who depend on me.

The dolls are works of art, who allow me to give physical form to storylines and costume ideas I have. In short, they are e vehicle for my own creative process, nothing more and nothing less.

15. dont laugh too hard, i have been a doll person all my life and i have got 4 children of my own as well as about 100 dolls and about 6 resins kids too. but i dont think buying and owning the bjds now means i want more kids of my own though, i think it means i have had waaaayyyy too many and need some sanity restored to my life......elisabeth ps and my nickname was and still is mouse!!!!! do do do do (twilight zone style)

16. LOL That's a great theory. Totally wrong in my case, at least, but amusing nonetheless.

I like kids well enough, but having been around them for nearly my entire life (my parents took in foster babies for twenty years, and then adopted three of them), I'm more than ready to not be around them anymore. I like babysitting kids. I like it even better when I can give them back again. ;)

Any maternal instincts I have go into my cat and my four pet birds. I never spend this much money on any of them! lol The dolls are just...works of art to me, that in turn inspire me to attempt to create works of art with them. I'm a writer, so I love to create personalities and backstories to make them my own characters, and to give those characters physical embodiment. I couldn't do something like that with Barbies, that's for sure. lol

17. I just like making things in miniature, and I think that comes more from the fact I was a very short child and never caught up on the whole growth thing. people also find me a little weird in some of the things I like (like my fashion sense and obsession with old time crafts) I always wanted a dress up buddy, now I have one!

I also think it could be my "I hate being the only person in my workplace" drive. Having some kind of 'person" around makes it a little less quiet. I a;so enjoy them because it's a creative outlet nt linked to my work, so I can talk and enjoy the community more freely.

18. Some of you are really venomous about motherhood....it's a little offensive. Not wanting or liking children is totally fine, but geez....maybe be a little nicer about it.

19. Well... let me just make one thing clear, comments like "PFTTTTTTTTTTT!! did your friends degree come from a cornflakes box???" were totally unnecessary, some of you seem to be taking this WAY to seriously, I wasn't being analysed, it was a friendly conversation not an actual professional environment and as I said before he said it partly just to annoy me, he knows I don't want kids at all.

Of course it's a HUGE generalisation, as such it can't possibly relate to all of you. Nonetheless, reading your posts, I found myself asking the question:

Isn't it a bit unsual that most people here don't want to have childrens at all, and even some (like me) actually hate little demons (children)...?

What makes us different? Is it because we have different interests in life, is it just something about our generation (although our ages vary quite a bit)?

Maybe it's because we don't trust ANY child to be near our precious dolls, so we just won't have any! :lol:

20. Just saw your comment... Sorry if it makes you feel unconfortable but if that's what people feel why not say it? It shouldn't be offensive for you though, I do hate children but I think nothing less of anyone who loves them, actually I praise their patience, it's just not something for me.

And I'm grateful that not all people are like me, otherwise it would mean human extinction :lol: