1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Puki popularity, something new?

Mar 15, 2008

1. noooo me too ;_;
      grahh~ i dunno how to describe my dislike for them...i can understand why people want them though...because of their posability etc.
      it's just...they're really unrealistic [facial-features-wise...most tinies are pretty unrealistically proportioned anyway haha].
      i love the lati tinies though :D they're so cute!
      i guess there's something very unappealing to me about a small doll with cat arms and a weird face ^_^;; i know there are other kinds...but they all look so creepy to me D:

2. I honestly never intended to get any doll other than my Irina (N. Cocori), and most DEFINITELY not a tiny... especially a teeny-tiny like a puki.

...and then I saw a picture of a Pongpong's opening, basic and without a faceup. Normally I need to at least be able to picture a doll with a faceup to really see a personality, but this time? Bright and clear. The fact that their faces are't of a more "realistic" proportion doesn't bother me at all, especially when none of my pukis (yes, I'm officially addicted) have a very realistic character concept. They're all sprites or spirits, though I'm planning a wind-up mod on my fourth... and at least the faces and costumes of two comic characters.

It's the versatility, the posability, the feel, and their little personalities. I can't walk past mine without touching them, and I find myself wanting to have my pukis in my pocket as I'm doing simple stuff around the house. At least one comes with me everywhere I go... a portability that I don't get with Irina, sadly. They're also great little dollie ambassadors--people don't seem to find the pukis as 'creepy' as larger BJDs. Heck, my youngest brother got a kick out of Kokoro the last time I saw him, and he's only nine!

There was no 'fad' or 'jumping on the bandwagon' for me when it came to my decision to buy my pukis. Just like my Irina, they spoke to me. Simple as that.

3. I think, like all things, Puki has hit a very good time right now. When I was on the Blythe collecting boards a lot (before I found BJDs XD) I noticed that when a Blythe person bought their first BJD it was almost always a tiny - a Lati Yellow or a Puki. Probably because a) tinies are very good introductions to BJDs, b) they cost about the same as a blythe and c) they're just so cute! I think pukis have captivated a wide range of people, from old time owners to BJD n00bs with their novel size, expressions and that fantastic poseability. Plus they're an awesome price for what they are XD

4. Puki's were what got me into BJDs in the first place. I'd seen pictures of other bjds before (first one I ever saw was a volks I think), but they never made me do more than comment on how pretty they were and move along. Not a single photo ever made me think their price was worth it.

And then came the puki. The moment I saw my first puki photo, I went insane tracking the company down. And when I found out the price, it didn't bother me at all! I ordered my girl less than a week after discovering Fairyland's website, and I haven't regretted it a moment since. Pukis where definitely my "gateway" bjd.

5. Pukis didn't interest me at all, at first. But they have a way of worming themselves into your heart and the more I looked at them, the more I could see them coming here to live. I began to think of how they would fit into my doll family dynamic and instead of sticking out awkwardly, I found that they would fit perfectly.

When I ordered my first two, I almost ordered three, but decided to wait and see if two would be all I'd need. When the circus pukis came out, Pongpong was actually my LEAST favorite. The open mouth was kinda weird and I thought it might freak me out. Then, I saw SasamiChan's Pongpong in her box-opening post and fell head over heels! And that was for an unpainted face! As soon as I could, I ordered mine. Now, I'm waiting for a body for my Flora faceplate, then I will have four!

I can't wait to see what Fairyland has in store for Puki next. I do know that if they come out with a LittleFee Pong, I will cry bitter tears of poverty.

6. My first BJD was an MSD...and then shortly after I adopted a So from a friend...I loved her...I was able to carry her around and stuff but I couldn't put her arms down, her stringing was messed up...and she was the old body and therefore a bit difficult to fit.

I was concentrating more on 1/6 scale and sold her in order to get my PpoPpo...but I missed having a tiny that tiny! I saw the Pukis and Brownies and saw that they were much better posers and a better fit for Kelly stuff than the So...and I loved the little Puki option parts that Brownies don't have (the ears and paws)...and I loved the idea that I can have awake and sleeping faceplates.

So when I saw a Pipi on the Marketplace that was cheap...I sprung. I didn't like Pipi much; I intended to sell the faceplate...but God when I first saw Lua...I was in love. Now I'm getting my first Puki love, Sugar, and will soon get a Basilah Amir faceplate and a Cochon one...bodies and a Chuchu down the line.

I love this size so much...I love the portability...and if you knew me you'd know I love ALL things miniature (I'm really tiny myself) so I can have a dollhouse with cute little things that my 1/6 dolls can't have.

And if I get tired of a character...i can just replace the plate without having to buy a whole another doll.

(I'm one who hates stock photos because they're never accurate)

7. I'm a tiny fiend...my first doll was an MSD, whom I love, and then I eventually started buying smaller and smaller... I held off on a Puki for a long time because most of them didn't interest me...being a bit too cute scared me off. I just received a Puki Pukisha yesterday and I can understand the craze. They are very different from a lot of other dolls. They may not be realistic, but you grow a lot of affection for them at a short amount of time. :)

8. I'll be honest : At first, I just thought Pukis looked cute but nothing more. Company pics always tend to make their dolls look good/cute.

But then owner pics started coming in and that's what really sold Pukis to me. Their cuteness was to be expected but their poseablity .... wow, that really blew me away. I had never seen any doll pull off the crazy poses that Puki performed. I ordered mine about a year ago and I've never regretted getting one.

9. I just discovered Puki puki only recently. Being new to the ABJD's I have not seen a lot of them yet. I found a box opening and from first sight at that little face won me over. I loved her. She was a Suger. So I wanted to get my own. I don't see this as a fad or me jumping on a band wagon. I just get what I like. Besides my Bobobie Sprite, Valerie, told me she wouldn't mind younger siblings. ;)

Besides its the posability that also grabbed me. I'm an artist and am about a year from my Bachlors in Arts. I like to pose Valerie and draw from her and wooden manakins that I used to use in art class. The posability on these far surpasses those wooden things. Besides afterwards I can take them home and love on them and you can't do that with the wooden manakins.Val agrees. I love her afterward too.

10. I really like the unrealistic faces and stuff though...Dolls that are really life-like don't appeal to me that much...it's just my taste.

11. This is true for me also. I really wanted a Lati white (two or three actually) but their posing was unimpressive so I waited, when Lait released the new tiny body's I didn't like their sculpt or pose ability. One day I caught a gallery post of Pukis and they totally captured my heart, they are super cute and great posers. they have a ton of option parts and they fit into Kelly clothes, I was sold, I bought a Pipi and my tiny wish list is nothing but Pukis now. :D

12. My first BJD was an elfdoll Sylph. I really liked the size and thought they were younger. I didn't bond with her at all and kept getting "kicked" by her. Soon after that I fell in love with the elfdoll Soah and she is still my favorite of the larger BJDs.

I just recently got my first Puki. She is a Pipi facemold and I just love her. I like the child like characteristics and the poseability and the fact that she just makes me smile when I look at her. I am hoping to get a Sugar eventually.

Tina

13. I don't think their popularity is due to people jumping on the bandwaggon and buying them because everybody else has one.

I had barely registered that Pukis existed until I saw my first one in person at a dollmeet in London. The person sat next to me had a new and completely unpainted puki (I think they had only just received it in time to bring it along to the meet).... and I was hooked from the moment I caught sight of it.

I have a Pipi and a Flora now and am *trying* to convince myself that I *don't* need a PongPong too... I spoil them rotten with clothes and furniture and take them all over with me. I'm at work at the moment and Flora is sat on my computer dressed in the cutest little smocked dress and bloomers, watching me type. It's a wonder I get any work done.

{sigh} and I have LittleFee on order too - I can't resist the idea of a Puki but bigger.

Teddy

14. puki came out, i wasn't that thrilled with the faces. loved the posing though and the bodies. but wasn't in a hurry to get one. they released 2 new faces. agian not so thrilled, so it wasn't on my to do list.

then they came out with the mermaids. i almost died when i saw the sharky boys. (is sharky fanatic) however with the shark came that face. in my opinion that horrid horrid little face. the one doll that scares the living crap out of me. cupid. i love jig saw i love chucky, cupid just terrorfies me to no end. it looks like it's gonna kill you in your sleep O.o. flora reminded me of the unoa o face. so it made me lol to no end seeing it on a toddler like doll. but i bought them for the bodies just for that. all those faceplates have to go though and i'm getting them differents cause i may not like those face plates but i could live with the sugar and pipi face plates for my fishies.

then out came the circus pukis. as soon as i saw pong pong, i knew i had to have a whole set of puki pong pongs that face is an emoticon dream!!! i'm slowly falling for lilly to but not like pong pong. pong pong will be my fishy number 3, and a few others. :3 and with the ani faceplates my puki few turned into puki hundreds. >:3

now would i spend this small fortune for a fad. hell no. heck i'm like the last person on the face of the planet to do anything cause the crowd is doing it. :/ and saying that anyone who buys one is hoping the bandwagon is beyond ignorant. it's popular for a reason. due to any number of things. and buying something you've never had before, like say a tiny to try it out, it's a good idea to buy what's popular so if you don't like it, you know you can sell it to someone who does, or who also wants to try.

reasons why they are popular;
      1. cutenes
      2. travel size
      3. posabilty
      4. options
      5. inexpensive

now that might not be everyones cup of tea but i'm sure it hits more people's yes buttons then it does people's no buttons.

and i'm not even that trilled with most of their faceplates, but since this hobby is all about customizing that's ok, cause i sand and drill till i like them.

15. I have Puki's & I love all of them - another one is on her way!! Can't wait to meet her too.

I am a Puki & Tiny lover...that's all I have. They fit in the house anywhere & don't get in the way of the rest of the family. I'm in the process of making their own "hotel" so they have somewhere to live!!! LOL (- try doing that for a few 60cm BJD's!)

PongPong's face just cracks me up everytime I see it! It just MAKES you smile or giggle...
      How can anyone resist a smile looking at that face?

I am extremely new to this hobby compared to most people on here, but I love them to death.
      Used to think ANY BJD's were scary only a few months ago but now I love them so much, even my 8 yr old daughter has bought her very own one all by herself :)
      Atleast she appreciates it & knows the value of them (thank goodness she doesn't have any Barbies anymore!!!!)

It's not a 'fad" or because "everyone" else has them, I was introduced to them & love the size of them - pack & carry them anywhere you want easily... thanks Fairyland for such an awesome BJD!!!

16. I don't like puki's. >.> Too small. They are really, really cute but I like the 60cm's better.

That's just me. :sweat

17. I wouldnt call the "puki-frenzy" a fad, though I have no issues with anyone who's not into them to call them such. I had a Puki Sugar from the first round of orders and loved her to bits but had to let her go because of a personal situation, she went to a loving home though. I missed her ever since and have replaced her with four more, two are home an two are on their way as we speak.

There are a huge number of contributing factors to the popularity of Pukis and I disagree that its a case of "monkey-see-monkey-do" I do not believe that we (collective) members of DoA would be so easily led by the opinions of others, were that the case everyone here would have a Puki. Admittedly their size has been a draw-back to its attributes for some but for the loving collectors of PukiPuki enjoy this as a plus not a minus.

Bambicrony were the "doll of the moment last year and had a huge amount of internet exposure and huge threads here on DoA those who still avidly follow their development and new releases would say the same for Bambicrony as I would say for PukiPuki. To collectors of PukiPuki, its not about everyone haviong one and must follow the trend, its more of a case of they struck a chord for each of us like some dedicated to Volks and YoSd's and avid collectors of Bobobie or DoD and MiniFees.

They arent for everyone and thats okay too and understanding the masses of us who do love them is no harder to understand than those of you (general) who wait with baited breath for the newest Soom doll, Its a big plus to us that Pukis are available in unlimited numbers and a much lower price bracket...

I love them to death to and I dont expect anyone to take my word on it :aheartbea

18. I definately didn't buy my Puki because everyone else had one... my tastes don't always mesh with the tastes of others, and my dolls are all intended to fit in a certain "family."

Their popularity did somewhat help me get her, though; I liked the Pukisha sculpt a lot, but I didn't know if it would actually work for what I wanted to do (because of the detail of their body, my initial impressions of the Pukis were that they were the size of the incoming LittleFees, much too big to be a cat for a Mini). Then I got to actually see several in person, see their posing, handle them... and realized it was a perfect fit to my character.

If not for the Pukisha faceplate and parts set, allowing me to make a "cat" doll, I probably would not have bought one. :)

19. Second all this! Except I ordered mine about a month ago. My first (and only doll) is SD sized. I swore I'd never get anything else.

But then I remembered that, in my story, my girl had a little pet. The same day I remembered that was the same day I stumbled upon Pukishas. BAM! Insta-love.

However, I can totally understand why people wouldn't like them. They have a very childish, almost exaggerated face.

20. The 60 cm ones are certainly easier to dress and handle. I actually got to play and redress my Pipi Puki last night and the tinyness was quite a challenge for me. I do love her though.

Tina