1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

rant: BJD family planning

Sep 23, 2005

1. When I first started out my list was miles long. Pretty much every doll in existence was on there :lol:

I had all these crazy money-making plans of how I was going to acquire all these dolls but when I seriously sat down and asked myself "ok what dolls can I actually relate to and picture myself owning?"... that narrowed it down to two, and Mars was added shortly after. I had plans for certain characters to be dolls too, but then I realized that I'd rather for them to just stay characters.

Now that I have these three dolls, somehow I feel that my crew is now "complete", I don't *need* any other characters, or anything other at all. This is a nice, peaceful feeling that I *really* like and I'm in no rush to add more dolls to my list. But I'm always open to possibilities and eagerly await my Re_Che head, hopefully that works out. If not, he'll be a gift to a friend after I'm done with his faceup and clothes.

2. Well. I found a mold that's perfect for Melanie... >< So now I get to figure out how to eventually get a Natural Tanning Kai.... -_- eventually.

3. I originally wanted only a Volks DD. Now that I have her, I feel like it may eventually be possible to create other characters around her. I would probably accept at least one illegal proposition if it could guarantee a Blue Fairy Pocket Fairy (Yoko, preferably). Then there is the eternal problem of finding a male counterpart for my doll without changing the look too much by going to another company.
      *sigh* I just wish they'd develop a DD boy...

4. Okay, I've decided now ^^ I have my first bjd, my sweetie Vasiley, and the only other doll I want is his brother, which will be Scarface Cecile. After seeing so many big families here on the board, and giving my attention to Vasiley, making him clothes, cleaning him, changing his clothes a few times every day, I don't think I'd want that with an entire family, like someone else said: I really admire those who can give so much attention to so many dolls, but two is really the limit for me.

I like the interaction between two dolls, and I don't want Vasiley to be lonely, and it kind of...feels as if Cecile has to be here, because he's Vasiley's brother..I really knew I didn't want more dolls when I had the perfect excuse for Hound(one of my favourite dolls, which I considered getting before they came with Scarface), that I could sew Historical clothing for him and sell it really well..and I didn't find it appealing at all, I didn't even want one anymore, even though I still think Hound is gorgeous, the thought of owning more than two dolls..it seemed wrong, for me.

so, two it is ^^ *starts saving for Cecile*

...after him, I probably won't ever have money for another doll +_+

5. The plan I've had no problem sticking to is only buying dolls that look like pre-exsisting characters. There are about ten I could get if I found a likeness for each of them, but I told myself to pick four.

Magnus and Idris were the only obvious choices for me so I bought them first. Nathan sort of happened. I loved the Kill_U 2nd sculpt sooo much, but St. James had bought one for her St. James doll. Luckily she found a better match in Gomi Igon and Kill_U became Nathan! He had some wiggle room in terms of his appearence anyway since his character is a dead man inhabiting a stolen body. Max was the next doll I had planned to find, but I thought it would take awhile to find a big-eyed, sulky looking boy will a puffy un-bowed upper , but hey, there was Re-Che! :D

So, no more dolls until I feel I've provided well for the ones I have. Like making sure they all have bodies. Plus I can vicariously own four more through St. James! And influence her planning!!! :sneaky

I'm not against getting the rest of my crew someday, but only two more have potential body matches thus far and they are not the charaters I'd choose to embody next. I'd really want my Aeschylus doll next, but St. James would have to sculpt the head for me... :sneaky :sorry :sneaky And it would have to a doll larger than Magnus. Can you epoxy muscles onto a Hound body...?

6. Actually,I'm planning to have at least 4 dolls..But when I think again,half of my dolls must have a family to begin with..Here's the list of my soon-to-be dolls:

Roronoa Zoro@Zoro-chwan(Bi-An-Kui from Kui dolls)

Sanji Black Leg@Sanji-kun(Abio Angel San Yi)

Hiragizawa Leo@Leo(Angell Studio Lucifer)

Kojima Riko@Riko-chan(Asleep Eidolon Dora)

Leo's Family:

Hiragizawa Erik(Still in progress finding the suitable molds for him)

Hiragizawa Erroz(Also the same..)

Hiragizawa Leona(She's difficult since she has split personality..Maybe I should buy 1 doll and another head for the other personalities..)

7. This is exactly what is happening to me D=

Why do you think I have almost 4 dolls in my waiting list ?
      The moment I decided I wanted the MNF Shiwoo, it completely changed what my "perfect family" would be!

At first I also thought of only getting about five dolls, all in SD. Maybe one or two tiny/MSD, but not more.

And now I am getting one MNF, one more SD head that I did not plan on geting anytime soon, 2 ~20ish and a Soom ML!!!

Its like my wishlist was inversed and instead of getting the BJDs I wanted to get to finish the family, I went for those that I really feel in love with xD

Though it was unexpected... I am quite happy for this and may end up only getting one or 2 other dolls. Or at least that is what I have in head... we will see later XD

I'm done right now. I dont even want to look at any dolls except those I will receive or I might just end up changing everything again =P

8. *lol*

I think there was a thread like this somwheres...

anyways, I originally only wanted 3 dolls...I have then now, along with the rest of their household.

I have a few floating heads that they shared bodies with the others.

9. Personally, I think it's kind of like planning your life. Just when you think you've got it all figured out fate, or some really intriguing website intrudes, and oops, a lil accident.

10. I only wanted a few. Really.
      Then I counted my dolls and I had 28!
      Now I have 14, but 1 is for sale.

They whisper in your ear when you are asleep:
      BUY BUY I WANT A SISTER I WANT A BROTHER, etc etc etc.....

11. LOL What an awesome thread!

Oh heck yeah! My doll family planning list is changing all the time! At first, I thought I wanted just three (IH Akando, IH Chase and LUTS Kid Delf Lemon) because I am writing a story about them, and pretty soon, I began to see more characters in my story whose faces were exactly the faces of some of the dolls I was looking at! Its quite a lovely "surprise"! I just hope that every doll that crosses my path and comes into my life is one that I will really bond with...I would hate to have a kid that tickled me pink for just a few days, and then I fell out of love with him or her...:(

Still saving up for my first! I can't wait to start a thread in the "Box Opening" subforum! xD:D

12. my original resin family plan still kinda holds, but I don't think it will for much longer. Originaly, I decided to get;

DoT E-an (100$ away from getting her!)
      Fantasydoll Ono
      Impldoll Christoper
      Fairyland Soo Dark Elf
      Souldoll Chiron

I had decided that my limit would be 5. No more. But recently I've found myself looking for a sad little girl to be Ono's companion. And I've also started to grow fond of littlefees and pukis, and also anthro dolls. Guh, Why must resin be so addictive? And I don't even have my first girl yet!

13. I knew the moment I laid eyes on a BJD that I would have to have more than one. When I was little I had massive families of those plastic doll house dolls and then later on barbies. i always cared for them and named them specifically and they were always one huge family, or two still pretty big families. xD I also made paper dolls and the families of those were big too! I just always wanted more brothers and sisters I guess. :sweat

My original family plan involved me buying like... six fairyland dolls. I just fell in love. But then I sat down with myself and told myself I couldn't do this, or at least if I ever would it would take a very long time. Now I have two CH girls on the way (I already have their little sister at home) and I plan on buying one doll from fairyland- MNF Miyu. I feel loads better now that I've decided on a smaller plan. Although I'll still end up with 4 dolls haha.

14. I don't anticipate this being a problem for me. I only want dolls that represent my pre-existing main characters, and that's that. No secondary characters, no random purchases. Doing this keeps me sane and my wallet in check.

Of course, there are many dolls I find absolutely gorgeous, but if they don't fit the mold I won't add them to the list.

15. I never planned on having a 'family'. I just wanted a Rengemaru Sweet Dream. And then I saw Enn on the Volks site and he ended up coming home. :| Uruko came more of my desire to have a tiny and a girl; so she wasn't exactly 'planned' either.

I still want a Rengemaru Sweet Dream. :)

16. Yes it did... And I'm still quite new to the hobby, as you are...
      Initially I didn't want to have a family, I only wanted to have one doll, and she was a SD.

And then I changed my mind, gave up on buying the SD and decided to get a MSD from a different shop, so I bought her.

Then I changed my mind about having only one doll and decided to have a family of three sisters.
      But then I started to think about it, and the third doll didn't seem to "match" with my first doll the way I intended, so once again I changed the list and decided I only wanted to have two dolls.

So recently I started to imagine my dear MSD with... a pet.
      Like a rabbit, and it felt so right. So I decided to give up on the second doll I intended to buy, and give priority to the rabbit doll.

Now I'm positively sure I won't change my mind about the rabbit doll (I mean, 100% sure. I wasn't that sure about the other dolls), but I don't know if I'll end up getting the second MSD in the future to play the sister character. Who knows.

17. Nope! One thing I've learned in my eons of various doll collecting is to never make hard & fast lists as doll collecting is sort of an organic process & will lead you down many unexpected paths.

For instance, at first I only wanted very realistic dolls but then I fell in love with a Choa with an Evenstar face-up which led me in an entirely other direction with a group of dolls. And for a long time it was only SDs then the mature tinies began to creep in. So these days I just go with the flow & buy whatever touches my heart that I can afford.

18. The best to go about doll planning is... to not plan at all. heh.

Also if I get that 'must have' feeling while looking at a doll, I try not to look for it for a while, if I forget about it I didn't really wanted to have it.

19. It really depends.. ^^'

I do have a plan but it's sometimes more of an outline than a definite thing. I have too much characters to dollify so I only do so for ones that are absolutely compelling and/or crucial. And there's that odd mold or two that is to perfect to pass up... :doh

20. ROFLOL! Boy does this ever sound familiar... When I first found out about BJDs, I came home from visiting my friend (in Jan) who had them and tried to convince my husband I "needed" one. I swore up and down that "I would only get one!" So I looked at every sculpt on every site I could find (quite literally) and finally chose my girl (in April), a Limhwa Half-Elf. I didn't realize I would have to wait over three months to get her since I was brand new to the hobby and just discovering DoA. In June we were discussing what I wanted for my birthday (July) and I gave him a list of Luts dolls and he ordered me the Luts Minifee Elf Shiwoo. :) So much for my "one doll!" By this time he was interested in the dolls himself so he raised no objection to my wanting a second doll... However, I had set my sights on a Luts tanned Lishe, and saved up and managed to get one in September. I had bought her second-hand for a good price so I used the money I had saved to buy a Bobobie Sprite in October. In December I used my christmas money to buy a body for the second head that came with my Luts Minifee Elf Shiwoo. So, as you can see I had five dolls, in less than a year; when I had sworn faithfully that I would only have one! ;)