1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-naming dolls?

Aug 13, 2007

1. I think it's the same as getting a pet from a pet shelter. They usually come with a name, but you change it to whatever you like once you get them home. ^^

2. I think everything is different to different owners,
      so it should be fine! ^^

I'm actually thinking about changing my girl Alica's name,
      I like it and all,
      but not sure if it really suits her~

3. Same as me with my Chiwoo. He proably had a name and character with his previous owner, but I didn't even ask. His character/name/life with me started when he arived and I opened the package.

Couldn't agree more.

Some of my dolls have names that seemed right for them, some haven't actually been named (My Petite Ai Raphael is just called Raphael, because I saw no reason she needed another name. Likewise, the Hana Angel and Devil are just Angel and Devil. The Chiwoo got a different name (Alphie, short for Alphonse, which he'd never answer too...{g}) because it ssemed right for him. The RML head on SD10 body had no name attached at all and was without a name. She eventually became known as Elfie becuse she hadn't any other name and she's my "elfie girl". The Soah is called Sera, which is sort of short for "serendipity" due tot he accidental way I ended up with her.

Teddy

4. I will join the "your doll, your name" club.

Actually Ezra's previous owner was already looking for a new shell for her character, I didn't even consider to keep his full name. But I asked for permission - and got it - to integrate his former nickname into his new full name. I felt that this way he will always know his origins. (So in Ezra Z. Glaurung, the Z. stands for his previous name:))

5. Well, I think that the name of the doll must be related to his (or her) "personality". When a doll changes owner, usually also he (or she) changes history. Why not to change the name? :)

6. I think you should choose the name that you think suits your doll the most :)

7. It's an interesting question, one i pondered at first too as i'm awaiting my boy from an ebay seller. but he was listed as the doll mould (DIM angelo) rather than a given name so it's kind of easier for me. i think its cool to give them a new name as they start a new life with you ^_^

8. This reminds me of when I adopted my cat back in spring. Her previous owner told me her name was Megan when I picked her up from her home, and followed it by saying "but of course you are welcome to change it to whatever you like, she'll come to most anything".

I just kind of looked like *_* because of how that was said and the enunciation involved. I should hope if I adopted the kitten and am responsible for her welfare that I would be 'allowed' to call her whatever I darn well please!;)

Same with the dolls too! You want a name to stay with your doll, then keep it! Nobody should impose on a buyer with something as silly as "you WILL call him Amelthaeaudithia still won't you? After all its his name!":roll:

9. Technically, as the previous owner sold that doll to you, that owner is giving up the rights to the doll, making that doll yours. If you bought the doll for a specific character, by all means, it's not necessary to keep the previous name for an owner who has already sold her. If the character is exactly what you want, though, keep it.

Like others have said, you've purchased her. Now you can do whatever you wish. :)

10. I figure that if the previous owner is selling the doll, it means that he/she is ready to part with it completely. When I bought my doll second hand I was never told her origional name, and even if I was, I would still set out to find a name that suits the character I've created for her.
      I understand your confusion/guilt over renaming the doll,.. but you purchased her, so it is now your turn to reinvent her as you see fit ^_^

11. I think that unless the seller was putting the doll up for some sort of "adoption", asking for someone to take over the character for them, under no circumstances should you feel you need to keep the name.

On the other hand, since people are bringing up pets, I feel animate and inanimate things are different, and would keep a pet's name the same if I got one.

12. Renaming dolls from other owners = fine. The doll's yours now, right? It's up to you! :)

Renaming dolls of your own after a period of time = also fine. But I just wouldn't be able to do it. I sometimes think I should've named my girl either Sophie or Alice. But no-way no-how am I going to change it. The character just wouldn't seem the same to me. :)

13. I am actually the -third- owner of my doll. Don't know the previous name(s) and didn't ask/was not told. I picked out MY name for her because she's MY girl now and part of my life...

14. Rename if you want. I am lucky in that my Volks girl didn't have a name that I knew of, and my friend who owned my Asha didn't tell me her name, so I didn't have problems there.

With MY Leya, she did have a name, Vitae...which out of respect I kept as her middle name so she is now Carolina Vitae (and we both like the sound of it), but you don't have to do that at all! It's your doll and you should name her as you see fit. ^_^

15. I would keep a pet's name similar in sound/tone simply so the animal still answers to it. Like, for instance, say I adopted "Fido". But I don't like Fido as a name. So I'd rename it to...anything ending in -do or -to, lol. That way Fido still hears the tail end of what he was always called and realizes "that's my name!" Of course, like the cat mentioned earlier, many animals will quickly recognize "that's what my new person calls me" and respond to it once it's in constant usage...

...this is not an issue with dolls, lol. XD

16. i think its perfectly alright to change their names. Whether they are from someone else or if they are already yours.
      i think alot of times renaming a previously owned makes it more yours.
      and changing the name after you had them a while, may just mean you know more about his/her character than you did when they first came home or from your original expectations and/or plans.

I think this is a great topic.

17. I think it's fine to change her name, as other people have said it's your doll now, you should do whatever you feel like doing with her. It doesn't really matter what the previous owner thinks, they sold the doll to you so it isn't theirs anymore. They don't really have a say so in what you do with her. Have fun and name your doll what you want to name her.

18. Depends on YOUR feelings. It's your doll.

19. I adopted 2 of my girls. Don't know what their names were before I got 'em. I even got my Baha brand-spanking-new, and changed my mind about the name. AND the sex! Decided the kitty was too studly to be a girlie. Now I have all these girlie Baha clothes. Ack...
      My dollies. My names. Yup.

20. I didn't even ask the name of my R. Dimo head from the previous owner. I gave him name. If I ever buy a doll from other dollowner, I still keep giving my own names for them. I think it remind from what that doll used to be in his/her previous home.