1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-naming dolls?

Aug 13, 2007

1. I would never keep a doll's previous name, and I'd honestly never want anyone to keep the name of my dolls if I sold them. Luckily it hasn't come up so far - I've only bought second-hand heads that were blank and never given characters, and only sold one doll who I'd given a character (and the buyer was buying the doll to be a female character, while I'd had it as a boy, and so my name for it didn't really suit her plans :XD:). The other dolls I've sold were sold because I didn't have characters for them and decided it wasn't a good plan to have characterless dolls sitting around not being enjoyed.

2. I do believe it depends on your wishes and choice.
      Personally,since so far I have one,I developed a certain habit.He has two names,when he wears any white wig,I call him Shiro,when he wears anything else,I call him by a different name which is a different character.

3. When you buy a doll, be it second hand or not, it's your doll. My LTF Chloe is second hand and I changed her name. I am also getting 3 more 2nd hand dolls and all them will have new names.
      But, I get what you mean. I got my first ever Pong (sold but rebought) from someone on Instagram, and I couldn't see her with any other name, so I slightly kept her name (She was Chiyo, she is now Chi)

4. For me personally, I wouldn't keep a pre-existing name for a doll, either from the company or a previous owner. Picking out a new name for my dolls helps to cement them in my mind so that they are "mine" and not just some object on display.
      I can understand people keeping names for their dolls though. Especially if it's an existing character they like a lot or if they knew the doll with it's first name in the case of a second hand doll.

5. I never keep pre-existing names for my dolls. uvu; They're all characters from an important storyline and thus all need their proper names. I have trouble understanding how people keep the default sculpt names for dolls, except when they're meant to be character dolls...

6. I only have one second hand doll and I renamed him. I don't like keeping nothing from the past or from another's person idea (even from the company). My dolls are my creation and I need to make everything myself to feel like they are mine. It sounds selfish but that's how I feel and there's nothing wrong if someone wants to keep the old owner's name, though :)

7. I have three secondhand dolls and I renamed them all. I have little problem with doing this. I will sometimes work their original name into their backstories, but their "real" names are what I called them.

8. I'm trying to rename a doll who has been called Junjie for years. He's always been my doll, but I got a new doll who fits Junjie's character better. I don't want to get rid of the old doll because I have years of good memories connected to him and he is loved by many of my friends. It's a weird situation, because he's not Junjie anymore, but I can't seem to make a new name stick. All my friends still refer to him as Junjie too.

9. I have renamed all of my secondhand dolls. I really enjoy seeing what they once were, but I bought them so I could create a character for them (if I didn't already have a character in mind). I have also renamed one of my dolls. I originally named my Soom Chrom William, but it just didn't quite fit. I finally decided on the Japanese name Haru, and I'm happy with the change.

10. One of my dolls has been named something different by three different people that are in and out of the house! It's like he has nicknames. Eventually I my just give in to the peer pressure and officially rename him to his nickname.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

11. My very very first doll was one I won in a raffle, I had no set plans with him and had never been good at coming up with names so I kept his original name but built up an entirely new character around it and said character has very little to do even with the original doll anymore and even got reshelled at one point.

The rest of my second hand dolls however all got new names and honestly I don't even know what any of their old names were. It's your doll now, you can name it whatever you like!

12. I currently only own one secondhand doll (and a couple of bodies, but they don't really count); I have no idea what the original owner named her, or even whether she did name her (as she owned her only briefly before listing her for sale). Even if she'd had a name already, I had specific plans in mind for her when she arrived, so it wouldn't have stuck anyway. And the same goes for any others I might purchase secondhand; they'll be bought with a plan in mind, and therefore will get their name changed. It's not the same doll anymore, and the character, to me, stays with the original owner, not with the doll itself.

13. I haven't kept the names that dolls had from previous owners. Always renamed them, but the former owners didn't mind.
      Actually I was thinking about keeping the old name for one, but that was because I couldn't come up with a new one XD Once I did, I renamed her and she is a totally different character now.

If I sell any of my dolls I also wouldn't mind to have them renamed.
      I think it is a part of making the doll your own :)

14. My 3rd bjd was secondhand, from a pretty well-known bjd photographer, and she's going to get a new bjd for his character. I asked for her permission and she let me keep his original name as his new middle name, but I changed his first name. He looks quite different now too. I think it adds to really making the bjd your own to change their name. :)

15. I've only ever adopted two dolls, one of which hadn't been kept long enough to name and the other I didn't even know the name of until after I'd named him. I don't think renaming a doll is at all a bother~ I'm sure the original owner isn't going to be offended at all and even if they are, its your doll now and you can do what you like with her. I mean, it would be different if the doll was alive and answered to his or her name.. then it might get awkward ;P

16. I've gotten a couple of dolls secondhand and never even thought of this. They just get named what, at the time, I think suits them best. So to me renaming a doll who had a previous owner doesn't seem like a big deal. If you think about it, it's like the company already has a name for them but a lot of us don't keep said names. :)

17. Like what monkeyluffy said, you can always consider your doll reborn whenever they get passed onto a new owner. I think you should replace the name if you want though. I don't think you should settle for something you don't want.

18. Buying a doll secondhand is very different than buying a new one. Do you want it or not but that doll already has some kind of character, history and energetics, especially energetics. I personally like it. It's like buying some antiques... Those things have spirit.

When i buy a doll secondhand i see it as a blank doll, like if i bought it from the company, but in some cases i might keep the whole character of the doll... Once i saw the sales thread of the doll i used to admire for years. I'd buy this certain doll only for her character and than i'd keep her name. But usually i buy a doll to be a character that i see in it, not what previous owner wanted it to be. So why would i keep the name?

19. Once a doll passes into your possession it starts a new life, every one see something different in their dolls personality wise, you should name them with what ever name you think suits them just as you would dress them how you see fit

20. I also would never consider what the original owner did unless I actually happened to really like the name or style they gave the doll, but usually I already have a character in mind.