1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-releasing a limited doll as a basic—your thoughts?

Jul 2, 2011

1. I would be pretty miffed if a company releases a limited doll again without any changes to skin color or sculpt. Especially if that set has optional face ups and fantasy parts. If only the outfit/face up/parts are limited then they should say so, not list the entire thing as limited.
      I'd be miffed because I am a student and a large sum of money is difficult to have all at once, especially the amount needed to purchase limiteds. For me to go out of my way and say I'm going to abstain from outings and such for the rest of the month and stretch my credit for the sake of obtaining an expensive full set limited, that set better stay limited including the doll's sculpt and skin tone unless stated or seen otherwise.

When I say 'seen otherwise' I am referring to companies such as Crobidoll. I know they have released several incarnations of their Ara in the past but I still purchased her even though I knew that some form of her would probably be released again. Why did I purchase her? Simply because I loved this version of her and because seeing that their limited releases over time have all been complete full sets, no 'basic blank Ara' possible. I remember people asking Crobi if they would give their limiteds custom face ups and their answer was no. I was sad that those people couldn't get what they wanted but I was also glad because allowing custom faceups no longer makes that doll the limited the artist had envisioned.

I honestly do not want somebody getting a cheaper basic Ara version and then give her a face up to imitate a limited Ara simply because I had worked really hard to get a true limited version. Call me selfish, but its the truth.

2. Well Personally I don't like Limited Edition dolls in the first place, but for those who do I really don't think its fair for the people that spent money thinking they were getting a rare item just to later find out that everyone can have it.
      But then again those thoughts are kind of selfish and greedy, not to mention I'm sure there's people who were very happy when they found out a doll became available to everyone. Most people who have Limited Edition dolls usually treat them like a priceless artifact and would never sell them, so if you missed your chance to get a limited edition doll, chances are its going to be almost impossible to get one.
      I guess its all a matter of which option makes more people happy, then that's the right one.

3. Sometimes the Limited release of a doll comes after the Basic was released (i.e. old Iplehouse)... other times, the Limited comes out before the Basic (i.e. current Iplehouse). In either event, BOTH editions are totally separate. No, it doesn't matter whether it's the sculpt itself that's limited, or the resin color, or just the faceup & outfit-- an edition is an edition, and each limited edition is separate from the next.

The existence of a Basic version of a sculpt doesn't mean that its Limited version is no longer limited. The very term "limited edition" means that it's a different edition than is usual, and that it is finite. Any subsequent limited editions released after that are also limited. (Ref. the Soom Special Orders, which are extremely limited leftovers, & the extremely limited Comicon editions; both exist separately from the original LE release dolls. Or, ref. the many different Volks limited releases, like Shiro 1 & Shiro 2, or the multitudes of limited Chris/Lucas editions, or the various Williamses that have come out for different events.)

But that customized-Basic Ara will never BE the Limited Ara. It's a binary thing-- there's no grey area. Either the doll is part of that limited edition, or it isn't.

When Iplehouse started the Custom Doll System and allowed just anybody to order a Tan Lion, which up to that point was LE10, at first I thought I might get mad, but I honestly didn't... because I know that none of those editions of Lion are the same as the 2007 LE. They're CDS Tan Lions, not LE10 Tan Lions. The fact that my Lion now has more than 9 brethren throughout the world doesn't take away from the fact that his release/edition is still 10. Owners of those 8 Normalskin Sards might do well to take this into account.

Limitedness isn't elitism. Jesus, but that's getting old. :roll: Also, I have bad news for you if you want to wait for the Basic edition of any of the Elemental Guardian series... NOW Iplehouse have sworn not to release any of those sculpts in Basic or CDS. (Of course, given their track record, we'll see how long that lasts.) So you have to put on your Elitist Panties and jump for that limited-time-only period if you want 'em. Shopping ain't for the fainthearted.

4. If they changed a few things about the sculpt, or delivered the limited edition with limited things, It'd feel a lot nicer. That way, everybody gets a good doll, and whatever they payed extra for.

5. I always find it a little amusing that some people are so harshly offended by the idea of limited editions. In the Asian countries where these dolls are produced, limited editions of things are really popular - from limited edition chocolates and crisp flavours (that's chips to non-Brits ;)) to LE collectables and prints.

Yes, LEs are a marketing ploy - you can't emphasise this enough, really - but at the same time I find them quite fun. I like LE things, the fact that it's not available all year round or here for a limited time only is a nice way of drawing attention to your product and also testing the water to see how popular it can be. I got stupidly excited over an LE chocolate bar today, (FYI, triple chocolate Mars bar = nice!), so if it becomes a standard edition in the future, good, and if it doesn't...oh well, it was a nice flavour anyway and I'm glad I tried it.

That's my take on LE dolls too - if a doll is released as a basic edition after the LE period it doesn't really bother me...and if it isn't released as a basic it doesn't particularly bother me either. I don't like to take this hobby too seriously, it really isn't life and death. I used to wonder whether it would upset me if Volks re-released SDC Kurt (the Frog Prince) and...actually...it doesn't. The value of my boy would drastically drop back to his original sale price...but he wasn't exactly cheap to buy direct from Volks anyway. My attraction to him was not that he's rare or unpopular, but that he's unusual and based on a frog! It wouldn't matter if there were 10, 100, 1000 or 10,000 of him...I would have wanted to buy him regardless. He still has his default face-up and his eyes are still hotglued in, but I'd still be able to pick mine out of a line up of Kurts because I've made Rupert mine in the wig and clothes he wears.

It would bother me if Volks had marketed Kurt with a 'never to be re-released' tagline and then turned around and released him again in identical clothing and face-up...but they didn't, and Volks don't tend to repeat themselves very often. A new edition of Kurt might have the same face-up, eyes and wig, but his clothes and accessories would be different, that seems to be the way Volks rolls with their limited editions. There are even two versions of Williams, SD13 and SD17, they grew him up a little :)

P.S. Dear Volks, if you're listening, pretty please will you release an SD17 Kurt with froggy fins on his forearms and everything? Lots of love, me xxx

6. If you're doing all this only for the sake of a 'prized zmg-limited' and then expect companies to do what you want them to do, I think it's wiser to change your priorities and just go out of your way for a doll you're head over heels with, regardless of its limited status.

7. This confuses me a bit, too; it's really not just you. Certainly, there are some things I sigh over not being able to afford at the time, but even if I was just buying modern play dolls, many of the same problems people cite about limited editions would come into play. The lineup of those changes from year to year, along with the availability of those dolls; while their numbers may not be limited, they're certainly not around forever. I've been more surprised that the available lineup from many BJD companies doesn't change wildly from year to year, essentially making everything, to some extent, limited. They often keep a basic sculpt around for a few years, if not indefinitely, and it's usually a company redesign, staff change, or a company going out of business that suddenly makes those 'basic' dolls not available any longer.

I know when collecting OT collectible dolls, each year had its new line, and if you didn't order a 'basic doll from that season's line' it within that year or two-- unless it wasn't very popular and stock simply lingered -- you were generally out of luck. I prefer to focus on the fact that the basic dolls I like don't come and go so quickly in this hobby! :lol:

I think this difference does leave a lot more room for formal 'limited editions' -- whether by number or order period -- than the 'technically, everything is limited, you just have to buy it that year or luck into overstock, oh, and we have smaller editions of limited items, too' approach a lot of companies in the US tend to take.

8. The more I think of it, the more I think the Limiteds are actually something that is fun and brings diversity. I always am very curious and excited to see what a new Limited looks like, even though it doesn't automatically mean I will purchase it. If there were only basic dolls, a lot of excitement and suspense would be missing for me ^^

9. Agreed. I just don't get the attitude that a company owes you something simple because you bought a product from them. The only thing they owe anyone is the product they bought arriving to them in good condition. What anyone does to obtain said product is their own business.

These companies aren't forcing us to buy limited edition dolls, even by adding the words limited edition to the title. There are no guns or death threats involved, as Jescissa mentioned, this isn't life or death.

I have no problem with LE's, or a problem with them being re-released if they are.

And Jescissa I'm just going to 100th that Kurt request.

10. I don't mind the idea of a limited sculpt, and I don't mind the idea of that doll being re-released as a basic, either. If the doll is very popular, I don't see why the company shouldn't make more money from it. As has been mentioned, the companies owe us nothing in regard to limited edition dolls other than delivering a good product. It's their mold, if they decide to use it again, so be it.

The re-release of limiteds as basics also allows people a chance to get a doll they may have missed out on entirely for whatever reason. I often feel I came "late" to the hobby. There are dolls I love that I didn't even know existed until after they were gone. Some of these dolls I will never have a chance at owning. Others experience this as well. Sometimes we have to give up on a doll; it's tough, but that's life. But if a company does decide to re-release that doll, it's like a wish being granted, so to speak.

The perfect example is Soom Io Wind Walker. I discovered this doll early on in my interest in BJDs. As soon as I saw him, I knew he was the doll, but he had already long been sold out- try 3 years sold out. I have searched for him second hand, to no avail. However, his head will be available during the Free Choice event, and I'll do everything in my power to be able to buy it this month. I won't get the fullset because it's not being re-released. People who bought him during the original release still have that something special about their doll, but I will have my Io.

Personally, and I do not mean this to be offensive, I find the idea of being upset over the re-release of an LE as a basic a bit childish. The "I spent so much money on this doll and now such and such has it for only X amount so I'm angry" attitude is something I will never understand. Did you (general you) buy the doll because it was limited or did you buy the doll because you liked it? You paid more to have your version one fullset, you enjoyed it and loved it. Now, someone else is enjoying a different version of the doll they paid less for because it is a basic now. Your doll is no less special because of the basic being released. If you bought the doll simply to feel "superior" because it was limited, you bought with the wrong attitude.

11. I'm fairly new to bjd collecting, but felt very happy to be able to get a doll in a limited version after being told the basic doll had sold out. I later found out that the basic doll had not sold out, they just had not been produced yet. There was a limited number of basics, and there were still as many to be made to complete the limit as had been sold. If I'd known that I could have saved over $100 by waiting for the next release, I would have done so. There was no indication that more basic dolls were going to be released, so now I have the doll I wanted, but the costume I don't care for.

12. I think, that re-releasing of limited dolls as a basic is a very good idea. In my opinion, an image can be limited, but not a sculpt.
      We could place an order for Claude, but missed Barahan. I think, it happened with many people. So I'm waiting for re-releasing of him as a basic. I don't want the outfit, I want only this fairy boy.
      Also I'm dreaming of Soom Shoshon, York, ecc., but almost said good-bye to all hopes :(

13. I'm totally glad that some people are getting an easy chance to get the limited they want, but isn't part of the appeal knowing that you have a doll that you can no longer get or only has a limited number of them made? I think it's very unfair for the people who jumped to buy them while possibly using their dolly funds that could have gone on something else but have now been spent on a doll that is being re-released.

14. I for one think the whole idea behind limiteds is more of a marketing campaign then anything. Companies make much more releasing a doll with a time limit or a certain number available than if they offered the doll all year round. This is what motivates them to have more "limiteds" than standard releases. Most companies only have a hand full of standards and a heap of limiteds.

I think it would depend on what kind of limited and how it was released as to what my reaction would be.

If Volks were to release a limited Mika and then sell it as a standard then I'd assume what made the limited Mika a limited was its fullset.
      Now if it's a limited body or headmold that is re-released as a standard and in the same skintone then I'd probably be upset. For instance, SwD Mimi is a limited and if I went through all the trouble and expense to buy her and Volks decides to make her a standard. I'd be pretty bummed. But I'd still just chalk it up as a learning experience.

Re-releases and standard releases also affect after market prices which can cause those that paid inflated prices to lose their investment. Unfortunately though, like other luxuries, you can end up on the losing side of things. For instance, you can pay $1,000 for a television and six months later its price has dropped to $500. Some stores have policies that will refund you the difference but many do not or there is a short time limit.

I'm actually okay with limited re-releases. Some dolls were released as limiteds several years ago and very few still survive today. Those still in existance are damaged, stained and yellowed. I think it's good to re-release them as a limited to replace the old ones.

This is a hint to you Volks, I wouldn't be mad if you decided to re-release SwD Mimi. :3

15. I understand where you're coming from, but personally, it doesn't bother me at all. Like other have mentioned, I think the limited dolls are more about the package as a whole... the doll, the face up, the clothing and maybe even the story line.

I tend to buy my dolls nude anyway, for a whole host of reasons, so basics are a wonderful thing in my book.

16. The concept of "Limited" really is that no one else can get their hands on them, though I really can see where you're coming from. BUT I think if they sold them at a similar price to when they sold the limited. it might be okay. Though then looses this concept of being limited.

I personally never saw the appeal in Limited edition dolls but I guess you would feel pretty upset if you had something no one else would ever have but suddenly everyone can have it.

17. I'm not a collector. I don't buy things because they're rare and I don't feel something special with my LEs, I love them for being dolls.
      I only know that when I mess them up, there's probably no second chance and to get a LE, I have to be quick about it. ^^
      I own a LE that I find underrated. I feel if he was re-released, I could "share him" with more people. :3

18. I don't at all see the reason for being upset that a doll is available to people who want to buy her. Buying a doll just because there are only so many in production and not because you dearly love and want him or her means you're just hoarding and taking somethign so someone else can't have it. Personally I wish there were no such things as limiteds. I think everyone should have equal opportunity to purchase the dolls. I like new releases and I understand the need to retire something if a long time goes by and the demand for the doll has seriously declined, but how could you really be upset that someone is able to buy and enjoy a doll they like? To me that's so selfish.

19. Not bothered by it, but when they do I'm rrelieved I already have it or I'd have to pull out my credit card :-)

20. i have a Beryl normal skin. it took me almost 3 years before i could get one for myself. she has no special parts but that does not stop me from thinking her the most beautiful of the female dolls. she is my female grail.... as for the Beryl's that are in the free choice event? i am happy that others will soon get to get their hands on this rare sculpt and appreciate her as she deserves. so, no, i am not bothered by this type of thing at all.