1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-releasing a limited doll as a basic—your thoughts?

Jul 2, 2011

1. Errrm... to me, it doesn't really matter if they re-release a LE doll. I do understand that some LE owners might be miffed, but even though I might be one of those LE owners I wouldn't really care all that much. I don't buy LEs because they're LEs or because they hold more "value" than a Standard Edition doll but because I love the doll itself -and in some cases I was happy that a certain sculpt was re-released and am always hoping for another few to be because I never had the opportunity to get the doll the first time it was out.

2. I honestly don't even understand why this bothers anyone.

3. I agree and I wouldn't mind at all seeing as I want 4 limited dolls but I wasn't around when they were released and the aftermarket abuses TOO much on the prices. >_>

4. While I love that they release a basic version, I'd be a little upset if I purchased a limited doll myself.

5. To be honest that would really piss me off.

6. Personally, I think LE dolls becoming basics are great, because if I really wanted to, I can replicate the look it had as a limited. Wigs and costumes are easy to do without, the doll, not so much. But at the same time, that rarity appeals to me too, that's normal though, vanity and ego is big in this hobby.

7. In my eyes it's ok to release a LE as a basic. If people know they will be available as a basic when the LE is available. Like the IH KIDs. The two very first sculpts were available as LE for a month now and will be released as a basic later. I knew that when I ordered my LE and it's great because I know I can get more later and concentrate on the LE outfits they came with and don't have to try to get all sculpts at once which I could never afford.

But if I had paid an arm and a leg for a doll that is LE to a short time frame or a small number of dolls and half a year later everyone can buy it as a basic for way less that would definitely make me very upset.

8. I've always been so-so about limited editions. I mean, it's cool to own one--we all want to be special snowflakes in our own way from time to time, after all. It's nice to have something others don't.

I do, however, like that Iplehouse re-releases their limiteds in basic. It gives everyone the freedom to have that shell without having to worry about a given time period of purchase. It's great because people can get the shells they really love this way.

I own a Limited Edition SID Claude from Iplehouse. As of right now, they haven't re-released him in basic yet--though if you look at SID Eric, they look a LOT alike. That doesn't bother me in the least; at least people who want/wanted Claude can have someone that looks like him. And if they decide to re-release Claude as basic, I'd be cool with that, too.

9. Bless this post! :)

10. I find absolutely no fun in wanting something really bad that I can't have. I understand limited brings a sort of value to a thing, but I just don't really care. I buy things because I want them. I don't buy things for what value they might gain when all the other envious people who didn't get it, want it. I'm not going to sell off my doll ever.

11. It doesn't really bother me. I would buy a basic doll that was limited and I don't see why others think its so weird. In my opinion companies realease limited dolls because they think If it's limited and you like that doll you will take money from something that wasn't originally meant for that doll and after so long when a doll sells out I think they realease a basic because since the other one was so popular they could get even more money of its released as a basic!

12. I'm a little uncomfortable about reissuing a limited doll as a regular basic because, to me, the whole point of a limited doll is the fact that there will be a very limited number of the said mold. To me, the fact that original clothes or original skintone won't be avaliable don't matter much. To me, the important thing about a limited doll is the mold. And I'm not saying it on a value perspective, more in a perspective of rarity and pride to have something that has been done in a limited quantity.

13. how i wish soom would do just like iplehouse and release their gorgeous dolls in basic edition. i wouldn't be suffering so much now over a human phonolus T_T ....limited edition sucks!! that's all i gotta say, for the money they charge, this dolls should be available to every one...
      i am not the type of person who buys limited or exclusive items just because they are only available to a few (how selfish is that) i buy what i like, unfortunately there are a couple of limited on that list, and while i don't like to have the same thing that every one else has and we all can be accused of that i think lol, i mean...c'mon, these dolls are meant to be fully customized, to the point that sometimes it is really hard to identify a mold.....so, even if it's the same thing, rarely everyone has the same lol

14. I wish that SOOM would re-release Obsidius Vala of Warfare (at least the human version).

Because I want one someday. :/

15. I was soooo happy when Iplehouse included Claude in Custom System!! I feel sad when I see the doll I really like and it's already sold out. It's not my fault I came in BJD after it was sold out. Also I'm quite picky on choosing dolls, men, houses :)

16. Ohmicat that would be amazing D:

17. Doesn't bother me at all.

I have Noctarcana Circus Tedros and Theo-- both Limiteds that have been released as Basics.

I bought them because I liked them, not because they are Limiteds.

I don't plan on selling them and making money because they are Limiteds.

I dislike the whole idea of exclusivity in many respects, although I do understand it as a marketing tool, and would use it myself.

I actually enjoy seeing other owner's photos of sculpts that I own. I really love the variety and the creativity they use, and since I like the sculpt, I love seeing them for that sake alone!

And since I love the sculpt I always feel like there should be more of these wonderful dolls out there in the world!

It wouldn't bother me at all if ALL dolls were basics and there were NO limiteds... but that won't happen because limiteds just make sense in a marketing and production standpoint. (Not because the companies are TRYING to screw more money out of people. They just can't keep all sculpts in production all the time. Limited sales make sense, really.)

People who DO love the idea of having a limited doll--hey, that's all good. I just don't worry about it, myself. (and pretty much ALL my many dolls are limiteds--I just happen to LIKE those dolls.)

Re-releases in the BJD world have been going on since BJDs have been around. That's just the way it is. Don't buy if you are going to hate the idea of a possible re-release. That's part of the research you need to do if you are the type who wants to invest in a doll like that.

Every bjd is a ooak, as far as I'm concerned. --They are dressed and styled differently and if they have mods or non-default faceups they are even more unique. Seriously, once they get into the owner's hands, they are going to be nearly impossible for someone else to re-create exactly. Even the SAME owner will have a hard time re-creating a doll they own (although it easier if the owner starts out with the intention of making identical twins and makes sure to buy everything at the same time... if they wait, however, it begins to be more difficult... even default faceups are hand-made and never truly the same as another).

My IH NC Tedros-- I see a few others of the NC Tedros around... but not many. And they are always dressed so differently than mine. The Basics are usually even more different with the different skin tones and faceups, etc. And I understood that the outfit and all the pieces put together were what Iplehouse was meaning as limited.

My IH NC Theo-- There are not so many of these guys around and it actually makes me sad because I just love him so much that there really should be more love out there! I see a few of them around DoA and other places and am just happy whenever I do!

My Soom Sard MD--He was fairly rare, but Soom released him in normal skin. Then did the free-choice bronze skin, etc. And there's the tons of Dias out there. But the more the merrier, I think. And it's not like there are a gazillion Sards out there. Even with all the types of Sards released, they are still relatively few. But even if there were countess other Sards out there, it doesn't matter to me because I own my one and that's the important thing.

18. If they rerelased like let's say Ringdoll Frankenstein as a full set basic..I'd probably think of it as the doll gods smiling down on me.

19. Hmm... I know both the frustrations of missing out on an awesome limited doll and the joys of getting to own a limited doll, and I'm not exactly sure where I stand on the matter.

As a lot of people have said already, most "limited editions" are generally basic dolls with limited full-set outfits or special face-ups and etc... But there are companies where the sculpts themselves are limited.

Pros of having a limited doll become a basic:
      - If you love a doll, I'm sure you'd buy it if it was limited or basic anyway. Now you can't miss out on it. :D
      - Basic dolls are generally cheaper than limited dolls.

Cons of having a limited doll become a basic:
      - Imagine if someone didn't know that doll would become basic and ended up paying more to get the limited version for extras they didn't actually want? Like, they just wanted the doll but they thought they could only get a limited version. I'd be pretty miffed if that happened to me.
      - Marketing scheme or not, there is a bit of pride and 'special feeling' you get from having a limited doll. Even if you bought the doll thinking you would've bought them in a basic version if the option was available, seeing your limited doll suddenly become basic would generally make people feel like they were tricked or betrayed in some way.

I think re-releases are fine, but offering the exact same doll with the exact same set of options after first tagging them as "limited" is a bit much. As for offering a basic set without some of the limited options... I guess it depends on what those options are? ^^;

20. I actually wish they would re-release more limited dolls as basic dolls. Some dolls I can understand keeping as full sets. Like SOOM Faery Legend dolls, those are released for only a small amount of time, and that's kind of the thing. Everyone expects that. Or the AE mermaid dolls, there's a limited amount and I can understand that.
      But for like the D.O.D. Elf Ducan, I would love for him to be re-released as a basic. I didn't find out about BJD's until fairly recently, and I just got my first one in November. When I look at peoples dolls or at companies, I find a doll I LOVE and I want to get it, like right them and there, only to find out it's not available anymore. I know I'm not the only one that it happens to. So I think it would be a good idea to re-release more limited dolls as basics.