1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Real Bodies and the ABJD Aesthetic

Aug 2, 2007

1. I just wanted to highlight this because the whole slim = unrealistic issue bothers me to no end! My proportions are similar to a shorter version of most SD sized BJDs, including the super-narrow shoulders (to give you an idea, I make a lot of my own clothing, and when using commercial patterns, I've had to remove as much as 6in from the shoulders to make it fit), and I've got big boobs, so it's really not unrealistic. As far as males go, my best friend is a guy who's measurements are very close to mine, but his hips are smaller, and his chest is all ribcage instead of mostly boob like mine.

As far as aethetics and body type and BJDS, there's definitely room for all kinds. I know this is an older thread (admittedly, I have not read all of it), but the "fat dollfie" thread in the general discussion comes to mind. As far as the "disturbing rejection of real bodies" as the OP put it, I'm more disturbed by the fact that slim automatically = "disturbing." Size acceptance means ALL sizes, from the person who is struggling to keep weight on for health reasons to the person who is very large. I've had health problems that kept me from staying at a healthy weight, and I can tell you it hurts. It hurts to know that whatever you do your body is suffering. It hurts to hear people talk about how you, or people with your body type must be anorexic, and it hurts when you try to confide in a friend about how hard it is for you to stay a healthy weight and they say "well, that's a good problem to have"

Sorry for my rambling. Anyway, as far as this discussion related to dolls, yes, abslutely, there is room in the BJD aesthetic for ALL shapes and sizes, yes, most of the bodies do lean towards a narrow build (though, most of what I've seen is within the healthy range for a narrow framed person). I don't think the aesethic is unrealitic, though. While it may not be attainable for many, it's unfair to call it unrealistic.

2. For my own two cents, I've always thought of the slimness as being more of a functional thing. While the bodies themselves can be made a smaller scale than humans, the fabric I use to make their clothing cannot. Something I learned a while back making dolls from scratch is that, if you intend to cloth them, the smaller they are the skinnier they have to be. If I made a 12" doll to correct average human proportions, when the clothing was in it looked too bulky. Not like a heavier human, just like their clothes are too big. Especially with my SD boys, who like to wear several layers of clothing including shirt, vest, and coat, they look normal when they are clothed and not too skinny at all.

My opinion, anyway.