1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Realistic or Anime Eyes?

May 26, 2019

1. I do like the realistic eyes the best. They way they catch the light in photographs is always very lovely.

2. I think it depends on the doll really, plus how I want to light them for photos. In some of my more realistic sculpts, I’m replacing eyes to have a smaller iris and pupil to look more realistic, more human-like. But since I’m learning to light and focus my photos in a better way, and I’ve worked on my eye placement some, all of our dolls’ eyes are looking better. My less realistic dolls really look pretty amazing with their less realistic but definitely expressive and more cutely ‘dolly’ style eyes. So I think it’s more important to know the particular look and feel that I am going for with each doll in order to decide on their eye style, size, placement etc.

Edit - I do like the animetic (the term doesn't seem to be trademarked but it's not widely used?) eye style in the obviously anime styled dolls like Dollfie Dream. Eyes - Dollfie Dream® Official Site
      But I also often like slightly bigger and more limpid eyes in the ’in between’ but still more stylized dolls like Unoa and definitely in the ’pumpkin head’ style of doll like my Volks SD10 Kun, UNOSS and Ariadoll Narvy. Kind of a Battle Angel Alita movie effect, which I think has a special winsome charm of its own when interpreted in certain doll eyes. Clear, still obviously stylized, not quite the harshly threaded gimlet-stare glare of antique paperweight eyes, but also not made in the anime style with the highlights drawn in. They can really catch the light in some beautiful ways. Oversized Masterpiece soft glass (oversized), some of the Volks HG mercury glass eyes, (especially certain browns) and some Enchanted Doll eyes, especially the Milky, some special SOOM eyes, some Souldoll eyes...which oddly enough, I don't like as much used in our Souldoll Zenith girls. For my taste, many of those girls need more realistic eyes with smaller pupils and smaller but brighter irises.

#62 mimimontoya, Aug 2, 2019
      Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    3. I always go for realistic eyes, Purely because I got into bjds because of the realism.

4. I like dolls that have realistic eyes unless they're something like a DannyChoo SmartDoll or DollfieDream

5. I like seeing dolls with both! Personally, I go for the kind of eyes that have unusual colors (purple is my favorite!) but with the more realistic look.

6. I prefer realistic eyes. However, the character I'm trying to shell out is quite infamous for having color-changing eyes - most notably purple. So I tend to look for realistic-looking eyes that come in a wide range of colors.

7. I like both. I think that it depends on the doll and their style.
      I have one that is more realistic with painted on eyes. So, she feels different to me then then one that I change her eyes. With her, i use brighter eyes so I see them better. Those two girls were more "normal and cutesy" clothes.
      My obitsue girl has the big anime style eyes and I like her in different ways. She to me is more expressive and more my cosplay girl.she is the one who wears more of my colored wigs.

8. A mix of both, but I never really considered them anime. I like fantasy eyes, but I only use those that are circular, or those pointed oval ones, and all have the same basic parts, a circular iris and pupil, and all but one have a white sclera. Even my fantasy stuff tends to be a little realistic, compared to the definitely more anime stuff.

9. I think it's a bit of a balance in my case. Most of my eyes are realistic looking but proportioned larger than real. I do also have small iris and a couple sets of reptile/cat/fantasy eyes just for fun. No anime.

10. I prefer realistic eyes overall. All the sculpts I like are somewhat realistic in comparison to anime bjds, so anime eyes don’t seem to fit the character. If I got an anime bjd, then I would get anime eyes. I don’t mind embellishments in the eyes such as glitter, so they’re not too realistic, but I also really admire the very realistic ones at the same time.

11. I prefer realistic on my dolls hands down unless they are vinyl/ dollfie!

12. It would depend what would best suit the specific doll.

13. I prefer realistic over anime, but I prefer fantasy (like super glittery/galaxy type eyes or non-realistic colors) over the more realistic kinds.

14. I like realistic, stylized and anime dolls. When it comes to anime dolls, though, I'm slightly more interested in the off-topic ones that have the eyes painted on. I think eyes that are painted on make the anime doll look a bit more anime-like, but I wouldn't rule out buying one with eyeholes for the convenience of being able to change the eye colour more easily.

15. It depends on the face-up and what the doll looks like.

16. My dolls usually play realistic characters. So I prefer realistic eyes but with bright colors.