1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Really, Dollmore? Blatant Kuroshitsuji rip-off

Apr 7, 2009

1. A lot of comments keep comparing doll clothing to human or cosplay clothing - and (at least in the US) the law doesn't define them as the same.

2. Fashion has always been this way, and probably always will be. It's just the nature of the business.

The only way Dollmore will be stopped is if the manga lawyers want to actually pursue the case. Likely, it's a waste of money for them, and they won't do anything. Alerting other fans is pretty much the only thing you can do.

As for the ethics involved, or lack thereof, I wouldn't buy Dollmore's dress either. Whether or not it's common place I still think it's wrong to take someone else's idea without changing much. Inspiration is one thing, copying is another.

3. Yes, it is ripoff.
      Beside difference in gloves, hat and choker. It IS the same.

4. ok in all seriousness this is just silly. Some companies do get permission from the maker of the anime to reproduce their outfit. But, come on. If this is a rip off then anyone who has ever cosplayed ever is ripping off the anime. Also any clothes you buy at department stores like target could also be considered rip offs as they are most likely taken from some high end fashion. essientally any clothing you buy is a rip off of something from another time or place. Watch 'the devil wears prada'.

5. I'll bet a few people who're crying "evile!copy" in here already own one or more doll-sized knockoffs of Converse high-top sneakers. Go on, check your inventory.

This is a good point...

...check your closet too, while you're at it....

The costume-designer for Hepburn's My Fair Lady is the only one who could have anything to say about that dress-design. Not the manga artist. The manga artist obviously copied the Hepburn dress in the first place. So where does it end?

And yet you did go OT, just so you could rain all over that girl's new prom-gown? Nice. Very classy.

6. Quoted for effect. SERIOUSLY.

7. I find it odd that people are upset yet I've seen a million chobit and rozen maiden copies. Some go as far as getting dolls sculpted to look like the character so whats the difference?

8. Well they are a difference between copying something from somwhere and keeping it for yourself and selling something from somwhere to get money

9. Ok I did a little poking into the subject of cosplay and I've found out some interesting things. In Japan there are a lot of cosplay shops. They don't exactly mass produce costumes but they may make a few of each character's costume from more popular anime's for sale. This isn't a far cry from what Dollmore is doing yet no one seems to have a problem with it. I have also found out that anime companies don't care. In fact having a bunch of kids running around dressed as their characters is like having free advertising that moves.
      I mean, I hadn't really heard of this anime before but since I saw this dress I went and watched a few episodes to see what it was all about. I may go ahead and buy the DVD or some merchandise now. I don't think thats bad for the animation company is it?

10. Thank you, I love your responses X3

I just want to point this one out http://www.dollsoom.com/shop/step1.php?number=3073 Soom used an online game for a set of monthly dolls. Yes they credited for the picture reference but not that dolls, is it really a big deal that Dollmore used that design?

11. I would say it's because Kuroshitsuji is the new shiny-shiny of the moment, and that's why they're all up in arms...However, I digress...

This sort of argument has had several incarnations on DoA, from dolls, from other anime/manga/videogame inspired costumes, to even what right people have to make MiniMee's of celebrities or anime characters. If you're going to complain about ripping off anime costumes for profit, how about commissioning and casting dollheads of copyrighted characters from video games, anime, or manga?

Where is the line drawn?

12. I think it's interesting (not just in this topic, but in general) how quick people are to dismiss the work that goes into 'derivatives'. I would argue that creating a dress actually takes a lot more work than simply drawing a dress (because of the limitations of 3D design, and the need to consider texture as well as colour and shape, and the need to fit and everything).

Don't the creators of these 3D pieces deserve some credit for this work that they've done? Is there no difference between taking a picture of an outfit and creating a real outfit based on it, versus taking a pattern already designed and claiming that you 'created' dresses made from that pattern?

I'm glad anime studios don't mind cosplay - I think it's a very level-headed attitude to take. Not only does it act as free advertising for them, but it encourages fans to get involved with the production in a way they otherwise couldn't. I think it's a real shame that countries like the US and Australia (where I am) are so rigid about copyright. I understand the need to protect rights, as otherwise creators will become fatigued and disillusioned and probably won't create things anymore... but I also think that this is a situation where 'protecting' the copyright by disallowing these dresses (both doll and human sized) to be made would be more harmful to the creative world than beneficial.

tl;dr, I think Dollmore should be applauded for doing justice to the design, and for crediting the original design (it's not their fault that people recognise anime copies instead of the real original - if anything, you should be annoyed at the anime for not crediting the original).

13. Well the Cecil Beaton gowns for My Fair Lady were Edwardian, not Victorian. The gown they seem to be referring to as having inspired theirs is this:

[​IMG]

Which is nothing at all like their gown. Their gown is pseudo-Victorian, loli-style. Edwardian gowns do not have a bell-shaped skirt; they have a slim silhouette and an "empire" bodice. There is no reason for the anime to have given credit to My Fair Lady when the only points of resemblence to that gown are the black and white striped ribbons.

That said, while I don't care for that gown myself, I don't see the problem with selling it.

14. I think Jennynemesis perfectly said everything that I myself feel about this. There are plenty of doll companies who make the mini Converse sneakers, the New Rocks, Burberry jackets, Chanel shoes, Westwood bags, Nike trainers....and no one seems to mind. Volks even did the Rozen Maiden and that is still perfectly fine. Many of us order minimee heads to look like our favourate popstars and actors without asking their permission- and still that isn't an issue.

But, Dollmore make and incredibly accurate and well exceuted cosplay outfit and suddenly all hell breaks loose. Seriously guy- put it into perspective.

Our dolls are supposed to be little people, fashionable, cosplayers, goth-whatever- so it makes sense that they should be wearing what we ourselves can get in the shops.

15. With the exception of recasting dolls and actually copying other existing 3-D outfits, there really isn't a line--it's pretty arbitrary, because despite what some people think, it's not a black and white area. While there are very legitimate and serious copying issues that do come up in the hobby, I think sometimes people get so sensitized to the issue that minor things get blown way out of proportion.

16. I think the reason people don't take issue with that is that Volks went through the proper channels to produce Rozen Maiden dolls, they also went through the proper channels to produce Haruhi Suzumiya Dollfie Dreams too.

17. sorry for not being classy enough for you, but obviously my intention was to inform not rain. ebay is jip-central

18. Informing would have been sending a nice discreet pm, just warning her about whatever down fallings f+f have. Not totally flaming the company that made the dress!

Anyway back on topic, it's blatantly the same design. The same blatant way that the logo anotherspace use on the very popular tunic dress thing is from vampirefreaks.com. No credit there either. Going to go tell off anotherspace now? No. Didn't think so. And as it has been said before, just because dollmore hasn't credited, it may have actually had permission to recreate the design. The same way that I'm unsure about anotherspace being allowed to use a copyrighted image.

19. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the big deal, it happens all the time in the fashion industry. You see all these big name designers during fashion week with amazing designs and guaranteed not a week later you will see an exact (lower quality) rip of it in HM, Forever 21, Charlotte Russe and all those kinds of stores. Its not like the designer is REALLY losing any money. If you can afford designer you will buy designer and if you cant most likely you wont. Not to stray off topic but the same can apply to this situation, its not like the creators are losing money from this. Its not like they are marketing doll outfits. But I imagine the people who have a problem with this are the ones who also dislike DIM making Minimees for the same reason. Oh well, to each their own.

20. no you're not missing anything....I don't see the big deal either. I also don't see the big deal with Dollmore's "Sailor Disguise Uniform" If the anime companies were making cosplay costumes for dolls itd be a different story.