1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Recall buying your first doll?

Jan 7, 2007

1. When I finally had the money and seriously started looking, it took me 4 months to decide.

2. It took me 1 week to decide. I've never seen anyone as beautiful as Kiss and knew I had to order him.

3. The idea of having a doll took one month, but deciding on Moon only took a couple days. I just...love him! I don't regret what I've chosen at all and love my boys to death.

4. I skittered from doll to doll, but it was always El I'd come back to. And I didn't fall in love with him to begin with. Once Hayden got here, that's when the El-fangirl in me came alive XD He's so beautiful <3

I sat there for about an hour with the mouse pointer on "Make Payment" but after I'd ordered and paid, I knew it was good. All good ^^
      Then there's the wait. *dies*

5. Oh yes! The first doll I fell in love with was an AR Cien, but I decided to buy a DOC Hoo instead. Halfway the saving, I changed my mind again and went for a MNF Chiwoo. 55 days later I changed my mind again and had my eye on a Little JR. Meoloo, but after seeing some gorgeous owner pics of a Cien I fell back in love again... And now I'm getting one :D

6. Honestly I can say I did find myself falling in and out of love of dolls when I first discovered them. In fact for about a year I went through that painful wishing for dolls I didnt think I could EVER afford. Well..>< I cant really afford them haha but I have them. That aside I would see dolls after dolls after dolls... I think my first love was a chiwoo, and then I loved a bunch of random off name korean dolls and then I loved augh well lots of dolls. I had huge archives of pictures I saved of my dream dolls *obsessed*...then one day...I was randomly browsing ebay and saw a dollmore dean up there.

*random interjection dean doesnt get NEARLY enough love. He's a VERY sweet doll* I cant really say why but I saw that doll and the instant I did...he had to be mine. For lack of a better way of phrasing it I just KNEW he was my doll. Enough so that I threw my caution to the wind about what I could or couldnt afford and chocked out that credit card. That was a little over two years ago haha. *clings* YAY FOR MY ELLIAN!

I think you wanna find a doll that calls to you so strongly that you know in an instant you want him/her more than anything. *nods*

7. I had been looking at BJD's for months thinking that there was no way that I could ever afford to buy one. At the time, I haden't yet found DOA, so I didn't know about all the great companies with tinier (more in my price range) dolls. :) So...anyways...I went to a doll show here in town with what little money I had been saving. I saw quite a few people wandering around with BJD's and it made me want one even more!! On the bottom floor of the show, there were no BJD's for sale anywhere, but when I made it to the quiet upper floor I found her!!! She wasen't my dream doll, but I knew the company that made her. Obitsu. The guy said that he had fallen in love with the resin type BJD's and wanted to get rid of his 60 cm Obitsu. He was willing to sell her to me for just $150.00!!! I was going nuts. I was surprised by how much I loved her even though she wasen't my dream. But, having her for a model let me make tons of clothing for Obitsu dolls and I was able to sell them and make enought money to then get a resin girl. I'm still saving for my dream doll - Narae. She is the only doll, that after a year of looking around, I still have to have. Anyways....Thats my story of how I got involved in this amazing hobby.

8. My first is a special case. But no i couldnt make up my mind...i looked and looked and looked...and loved so many different dolls i couldnt make up my mind. So BrightFires made it for me. I won Ringo's head from her and thus my first was an SD boy...a Nanuri...and i love him to bits. my second love was kishi! I adore her!

After buying the first, the rest were much easier to fall in love with and hit that pay button! XD

9. Well...for the longest time just thought DoD was the only BJD makers then I discovered others and found Luts and saw Lishe and was like wow. But I wanted a tanned version and at the time they didn't exist yet. Then Tanning lishe came up but she kept selling out and I was on ebay looking for her and saw him. A Doll i had never even cared for, a Natural Tan Kai by AngelRegion. He was on Ebay for a really long time and I felt kinda sorry for him. So I went and got him and been happy that I got him despite him being sur of the moment XD

10. Um... let's see. I remember that I only knew of Volks dolls so I thought that was all I had to choose from ^^; And I only liked the girls, so I had a tough time figuring out which one I wanted because they were all pretty ^_^ But I got my girl, a SD13 Mimi because she looked the sweetest...=3

11. Well, it has certainly made me feel better listening to everyone's first experience. The one main tone (which really makes me feel a lot more confident) is contentment. Everyone tends to say that they were utterly delighted with their first doll and did not regret it at all. That was one of my main concerns: buying the doll and then not being happy with him. So I am glad to hear this consent among you all.

12. My friend had an El and she would randomly bring him up in conversation and I never really knew what she was talking about. She directed me to this forum and between her and looking at pictures on here I became a lot more knowledgable with different companies and molds. I never changed my mind from my first doll, I love my El very much, even if he isn't my dream mold. I saw the dreaming version of him and I fell in love, even if I did end up buying the standard opened eyed version when I finally decided XD

13. When I final decided on which doll I was going to get I was pretty exited!
      Then when I finaly bought him, i just had the WORST feeling in the world and i was scared I would just NOT "bond" with my doll. But when he arrive any regret or worries I had where gone. Best 780$ I ever spent on one thing :3

14. I remember looking at every bjd i could find until i saw dim marianne and absolutely fell in love. I didn't buy her immediently but after she started going out of stock in almost every place i knew I had to get her fast so I bought the very last on from an online us store. I almost missed her!

15. It was only five months ago, so yeah, I remember. ;)
      I actually started the search about a year beforehand though. After much searching for a doll that suited my idea of Ichigo, I kind of settled on the Blue Fair Kyle. But my husband was dead set against it. After that huge argument, I let it go for a while. About a year later, I started looking again. This time there were more choices, and I stumbled upon my Iple house boy. ^_^ Absolute love at first sight!
      I ordered him less than a week later, and then waited three weeks for him to get in. :)
      He's still my favorite (shh, don't tell Seiji!), and I'll probably own him until he falls apart from all the loving he gets. XD

16. it took me about six months, and then someone had the doll i wanted -- with the body make i wanted! -- up for grabs for a wonderful price! i didn't think i'd get so lucky for the first doll. she came to me a long time ago, her name and everything and what she was, and when i saw her mold i knew what she'd look like right away. :heart:

17. Here goes my story... ^_^

My first doll was supposed to be a SD13 Kira, then a F08. I thought Doll and Hobby was the only way to get a doll (as it was early 2004, it actually was one of only a few ways), so I at first wanted Kira. She had red hair and green eyes and that was how I wanted her (my first doll was supposed to be named after and resemble my late grandmother, who had red hair and green eyes). I obsessed about her for a long time, and said that when I could save the money I would get her. Then I saw a F08 (on Aimee's site, I believe) I fell in love. She looked so sweet! One day in July searching around Ebay I found one for sale!!! I didn't have the money though, and got upset. My father came to the rescue, and offered to buy her for my birthday/Christmas (my birthday is in November). I couldn't have been happier. I was allowed to spend $500-$600 on her, which I believed to be the average price for an SD (normally it is, not for an FCS at that time >.<). So, with a few hours left, I was outbid and that girl shot to around $800. I couldn't spend that much. I WAS CRUSHED! Crying ensued, and I was depressed for a few days. Eventually, I began searching around Ebay again, hopeful for another chance. Then I saw her. Peak's Woods Cue. I had heard nothing of the company, but that didn't matter to me. I bid on her! She came out to about $600 with shipping. I waited, sure that I would be outbid, but I wasn't! She was soon headed to my door. When I pulled her from her case the first time I realized that all my stress was worth it. Nola became my first doll, and has been with me ever since. (Though she never did take well to green eyes and red hair. ^^)

Since then I have bought five (and a half, as soon as I get my Juri head!) more dolls. It has become a much easier process, but it is always just as exciting!

(Sorry that got sooo long. >.<)

18. Believe me, I know how that feels. I remember bidding on a Franklin Mint Marilyn doll once (the perfect one in my eyes) and I was outbid like in the last 2 minutes. I still don't have her, lol. I'm hoping if I make a hobby of this to create her, just haven't found the right mold to capture her beauty.

19. I hope you get her (or an incarnation of her) one day! It seems that when people wait until the last minute to bid, it makes everything worse than if you had been outbid early. Then you know waht's going to happen. In the last few minutes it happens, and you barely have time to bink before your dream floats away. Its heartbreaking! (Especially when it happens on your first doll! :( )

20. i dont think i really gave myself enough time to flipflop about who i wanted. my friend pointed out a few dolls at acen to me and when i got home i looked them up. i found dream of doll first and shall jsut spoke to me. :) so i saved my money and gave it to my mom and bought her for me on her credit card.