1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Recall buying your first doll?

Jan 7, 2007

1. Oh man...I remember going to see Mei for the first time, took her out of the box at DDE and it was a O_O DO WANT! moment. Of couse she had to go on layaway for a week which in all honesty is the shortest layaway. I had sooooo many options before her and I finally got her after seeing her and loving her the most, now shes my beloved princess and I couldn't be happier with her.

2. I can remember it really well! I had been having a look around at different dolls but hadn't exactly decided on anything and anyway I was a bit nervous about ordering from a Korean website - I didn't know anyone else in the hobby and I didn't know about any of the forums.

Then I was checking eBay one morning before work, and there was a BIN listing for a Sooah in the UK. I thought about her all the way to work and decided I was going to buy her. I had to use my friend's computer as I didn't have internet access on my works pc at the time! So, I clicked on the button and she was mine...it wasn't exactly a carefully considered purchase but that was two years ago and I still love her to bits. I can still remember the thrill of knowing I had bought her and of opening the box!

3. I had seen BJDs many times before, but I vividly remember being on an old art site I used to go to all the time. I was checking the blog of a person, (who also happens to be on here: GTK), and there she had posted many pictures of her dolls. I thought her Rubi was so perfect and beautiful. I plagued her with many questions and got over whelmed very quickly. (...MSD, SD, LUTS, CP, DZ, DIM...) Lots of abbreviations and company names. A head ache is what it was. I put the whole sequence in the back of my mind, and always cheered when ever GTK posted more of her guys. I looked on Ebay a little, but not knowing what I was looking for I always put it down. A few years went by, and perhaps in late '07 or early '08 I saw an article in the Shojo Beat after I got off work. I began reading it like a mad-man remembering all the things I had been told. I got excited and started looking things up. I researched and bought a little 1/6th dollfie named Kaius. I still have him to, he's just not complete. After I bought him, I began wanting a BJD about a few weeks later I bought a DZ Megi after looking at so many pictures. I was thrilled. He didn't get there until about 5 in the after noon. It was so exciting as I lifted him up out of the box, he was warm. He felt alive! :3 Very fond memory there, of course the only reason he was warm was because he'd been sitting in a UPS truck in the summer heat all day. But still, it was like he was alive. <3

...and then my husband had to have one. It all went downhill after that. xD

4. I remember only seeing one doll for me right from the beginning and that was the Delf Chiwoo from LUTS.

I bought him almost immediately and have loved him for the past two and a half years. He's great. He STILL sleeps next to me every single night. ^__^

It seems common that most people are afraid to bond with their dolls, but I've never really had that issue except for with my Yder. That was AFTER i got him though and he just didn't look right. Once I cut his hair, however, it was perfect.

5. I remember I was dead-set on a Dream of Doll H. Ducan for yeeeears. But at the time he ran about $800 full-set. I had just gotten a good bit of graduation money and then got marketplace access. Then I saw him. My darling Angell-Studio Cain for half of what H Ducan cost with a face-up I've left intact to this day. I had never eard of the brand so I gave them a quick check over and then bought him immediately. XD

6. I remember it very well. For about six months I'd been looking at dolls on YJA, but couldn't bring myself to spend that much money for something I'd never seen in person (it's so much easier now that people can go to meetups and see what the dolls really look like... not to mention so many more online places to purchase).

I went to Akihabara, made my way up to the Volks store and... saw my first doll. My first impression was ... this doll is HUGE. it's one thing to think of 22" it's another to see it. Also, when I was able to pick her up for the first time I was amazed at how heavy she was. I had all 4 sisters arrayed in front of me and I ended up going with Nana.

Oh, sweet memories...

7. Thank goodness you made this thread.
      I registered here to find some advice buying my first one.
      Because I didn't knew nothing about them.
      Now I've learned some things, but I still not sure of which to buy.
      I was thinking on VOLKS, and wanted a Dollfie Plus, but it's made of plastic and it's 27 cm tall.
      I want a 60 to 70 cm tall, and the whole body made of resin, or something like that.
      I just don;t know which sites are better to find what I"m looking for, so any info. helps.

8. I took me forever to save up for Antaliya. At first I was aiming for MNF Marcia, but for some reason my card company didn't allow me to order from Fairyland, so I waited another couple weeks and bought Antaliya.
      When I first saw the Lishe photos, I was in love. I didn't really like too many of the other girls on Luts' website, but the gentle smile on her face just won my heart. I couldn't be happier, and one day I will get a Marcia! I swear!

9. My first BJD was a Show that I got from my sister as a gift. I still have him and I believe he is from 2000. His body has been upgraded by a 2008 sd13 LL body.

My first doll ever was an ice cream inspired doll named Pistachio. It was a big deal because I was a boy and wanted a doll.

~Gus

10. Aaaah....remember it like it was yesterday.

I've seen hiritai's Ryu "Hayden" on devart, first time for me seeing a BJD and I was like "OMG SO PRETTY AAAAH!". I've told a friend, and she told me she has already one and is waiting for her second one. Shocked me, because she had never said anything about it.
      However, I forgot about those Dolls for a couple of months, but in May (when her second Doll arrived) I got this "desire". I wanted one for photos, for making face-ups, for having it around me when I'm alone.
      I've started to search again and then found DIM/Doll in Mind.
      Saw their Achernar there and it was love at first sight <3
      Well, I had no job back then and talked to my Dad about it (my birthday was two weeks later), and after talking with me and looking at dolls he finally said "Okay, I buy him for you".

11. some stuff in my life had made me really sad and i needed cheering up. so i looked at him online and decided then ordered him about a week later.

12. My first doll was back in 2003 with the old Doll and Hobby online store. At that time Doll and Hobby was the only store that did Volks preorders. I had about a little over a month to choose which doll I wanted before the ending dates. I can't remember all the dolls but it was either the pure skinned SD Ryo, Tsukasa Konoe, I think one of the four sisters, and an MSD (my mind can't remember*_*). I chose the SD Ryo which I still love to this date:lol:. What still irks my mind was having to pay that crazy preorder price.

13. I didn't have trouble, persay, but it changed, thats for sure. DoD Ducan and DZ Floy. I had to get both of them before i got anyone else and that was final....until...A-Kon. Then i saw a cute little vampire boy and my head turned to mush. Still waiting for him, but he is my boy and i found out only afterward that he was a AoD Chi. XD and now the DoD Ducan and DZ Floy have been pushed back to four and five on my wishlist as i want to get Lestat's boyfriend first and then i wanna get an AoD Bo. XD Then i'll be getting them...i think XD lol

14. I changed molds about a thousand times OTL But I finally chose one. It took me about 6-8 hours just to click the check out and pay button ha ha

15. In all honesty I was originally going to get a Migidoll Ryu because the first BJD I saw was Hiritai's Hayden. I really didn't click with the sculpt, though. It was pretty, yeah, but I didn't know the sculpt. But at first I couldn't figure out the Migidoll website. So I figured I ask around about it. While waiting for replies I started looking over the Luts site. That was when I saw the Ani and I really thought I knew the sculpt. I started writing and it became very easy for me to say that he was going to be my baby. I told my mom and she said I could use my birthday money to get him. Twas two days after my birthday that I made the orders on Luts (doll, wig, eyes, jeans, shoes) and Dollmore (Boxers, armwarmers, teddy bear, was supposed to order a top and forgot =.=). Three days after the orders I got a knock at the door and saw my mail carrier holding a small Dollmore box and the day after that she held a big Luts box.
      For other dolls it wasn't that easy. Rayne was a pukisha before I bought the piki and Sybal was gonna be an Aru, then she was just plain undecided until I found the Narsha. But yeah, Sei was easy.

16. i had dreamed of DOD's kirill and ivan for about two years, but i didn't know how can i get them, 'cause i didn't have a credit card. but finally, i found a safe dealer in hong kong and i waited about 3 months to get my ivan home. during the period, i found kirill selling on a forum, so i bought kirill inexceptedly as well.

17. lol guess this is my first post -.-

I had been wanting a doll since I was 14 & would
      always look for doll websites/ companies ..

Until last year which is 3 yrs later, i decided I
      must get her. My first doll is dollmore's model
      ha yarn xD she's cute .

18. It took me a little under a year to save up enough money to buy my first "dream" doll - a Volks SD13 Sch C boy. I decided at the outset that I wanted him to be my first - I just couldn't get over that adorable face!! I remember, in detail, the headache that buying him was too... :sweat I had never used paypal before in my life and was so unbelievably flustered and confused. Fortunately the seller from the DoA marketplace where I got him was SO understanding and patient with my spastic newbishness. Lol!
      I haven't got my sch. C anymore... (his character "grew" up a bit and didn't suit the mold anymore...) but hopefully one of these days I'll bring another one home, because they really are the most adorable things. It's the lips, I think. :whee:
      -V

19. Frighteningly enough I was still in *highschool* when I got my first doll, back in 2003. I basically slowly siphered money out of my parents' bank account and combined it with money I got for my birthday and Christmas. There weren't nearly so many choices back then and I was obsessed with Volks SD boys with urban faceups. I had never seen one in person but the pics I had seen were just so GORGEOUS that I *had* to have one! I remember the day my FCS old SD-29 (SD-17 now, I think...) came. I lifted that lid off the box and he just took my breath away! I couldn't even come up with a name for something so beautiful so I just called him my Nanashi, my "no-name".

20. Aw man this was almost like hell for me. I remember that I spent 4 hours browsing shop after shop after shop just looking through all the dolls, learning everything I could about them at the same time. Then after a much needed break I went back and looked around for another 4-6 hours until I ran into Mizuki ((an Angell Studio's limited edition Carina)). I remembered thinking to myself that this was a really big commitment and ended up contemplating over buying her for nearly 4 days. Finally after a rather long debat I ended up buying her. I'm currently waiting for her and can't wait to get her... I'm beginning to think the wait is even more hell... ^^;;