1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Recall buying your first doll?

Jan 7, 2007

1. I knew straight away who I wanted as my first doll, however it took about two months to get him because I was waiting for the allmighty tax return. I think the choice would be harder now that there are more options, my first was a Hound, but now...well I think it is possible the same character could wind up in a struggle between Hound (the older version, I don't like the DSAM bodies) and Dollmore Nayuta. Options were fewer, but I have never regretted my choice for my first doll.

2. I still didnt order my first doll because i want to be sure it's the right doll, and i fell like i should take my time.

3. My first doll was sort of a lucky accident, actually. That's probably not the way it's supposed to happen, haha. I was on Ebay looking for a totally different type of doll to give to my niece for her upcoming birthday, and I came across an auction for a beautiful 70cm BJD. I'd never really had much to do with BJDS before, but for some reason I really, really wanted this one, and the price was pretty good, so I, um, went ahead and bought it after waffling for a few days.

In general, I don't think impulse buys are a very good idea, and all of my other dollsh ave required careful planning and budgeting, but I'm glad I bought Dorian (my first doll.) If I hadn't made that impulse buy, I'd probably never have gotten into BJDs at all. :)

4. Never had any trouble deciding on my first doll! I only knew I wanted a doll so I think I looked at hundreds of pictures of different dolls. Some I kinda liked, some I didn't, but nothing that made my mind go: "buy it!" Untill I came across a DollZone Hid. I don't know why, he's a very common sculpt and doesn't even have a special look or so, but I think it were his eyes. Those creepy small red eyes, combined with red hair! I just had to buy him. He still has his company eyes, got a new red wig and he's still my favourite dolly of them all!

Well to be honest it was not only the red hair and eyes, I could have given those to any doll, but I think his face is so neutral, you can do a lot of things with him depending on the face-up you give him.

5. My first BJD - Harwich Impldoll was chosen because it was the only company sold in the Czech Republic .... Even I did not know Ebay ...:-D ...... and since I believe in luck and fate, plan ahead I just know what kind of body - I want mobility and wait until we meet .... :-). Each BJD itself tells what character he wants to be, and I was just offering options ....

6. I was so excited that I want days to go by faster. If only I could go and ask a personnel of our city's post office every day or every hour i would. But i know it will bug them so much that they would not want to see my face ever again xD

7. I ordered my first doll a week after first weeping bjds, and received her a week later as she was in-stock from DDE. That was this past January. I have ordered another and should receive her this summer.

I see that this thread started more than a decade ago. I am curious how many of who posted still have their first doll, or are even yet participating in this hobby.

8. My first doll was a Dollshe Saint, and I didn't have too much trouble picking him. I liked his aesthetic, they released a new body that fit the character I had in mind, and they had a wide variety of resin colors to choose from. I also had a budget and he was half-off during the company's winter sales event so that made my decision even easier :XD:

9. When I first found interest in the hobby, I only knew about Volks and I wanted one for sure but couldn't afford it and didn't choose one in particular. I had to wait a few years until I could afford a BJD, but when I finally began looking seriously, I knew as soon as I found AoD Chen that he was the one. After seeing owner pictures, that confirmed it. It had to be him! After that, it took me probably about a month to get the money to buy him. That month was coming up with money, not trying to decide for sure. I KNEW he was the one.

10. It took years to have enough savings to buy the doll and then I did some research before I choose the sculpts I want. I kept stalking some websites back and forth. I also browsed over owner pictures on flickr. They play a big role before I choose my first doll. After that, I spent a lot of times to think whether it's the right choice or not. I did everything really slow and full of consideration, so it took quite a long time..couple of months I think.

11. The first doll I bought wasn't really my dream doll. It still took months to decide though, she's also a hybrid and I got the body six months later. I researched the doll, looked her up on here (though there wasn't much about them), checked nude pictures on the site and that was when I decided I didn't like the body then I got the head from their ebay store. I later convinced my parents to buy me the body as a gift.

Actually I think I originally wanted a Gloria, but they didn't sell her head separately so I got Elizabeth. I saw her blank head while checking the body pics and had a sort of revelation. I'm glad I did, she's so much prettier then how they styled her in the promo pics
      I've only seen a few Glorias around, which is a bit strange actually as she was sold with an Elizabeth head as gift...

Buying my actual dream doll took much longer, partly because the company who made her closed. Took me something like four years, two of looking her up and other two to find a second-hand one for sale.

#91 ninive, May 23, 2016
      Last edited: May 23, 2016
    12. I was coming home really late one night from a friends party, when I was checking Instagram on the train. I noticed a friend on Insta was promoting a sales post for another friend for a doll she wanted to part with. I fell in love at first sight and I knew I had to have him so I messaged the seller right away and bought him that night. I wasn't even planning on getting an MSD but now that I have him, I knew I made the right choice.

13. It took me a while to pick my doll. I had a very small budget. I was new and not sure if I would like the hobby or the community which is OK I guess but i wasn't interested in dropping a huge lump of cash on a doll I want sure I'd want to keep. So my best friend joined this hobby with me and I took us a lot of searching a lot of research a lot of going back and fourth but when we saw the doll we wanted we knew because the doll image just stuck with us and we thought about that doll constantly and finally it was submitting the order and no turning back. Now I have 3 dolls and I'm working on a 4th. Lol