1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Receiving Gifts from Complete Strangers

Apr 21, 2012

1. Well, I know I wouldn't mind. I would be real happy! Though I am an adult, so I would be cool with it. :) I know some people who have kids and wouldn't want their kids giving out personal info. Depends on the situation.

2. I think this is super sweet. I wish stuff like this happened more in real life (not just doll related). I've been given random gifts on the street before. My favorite is a rose woven out of corn stalks (weird but cool, right?). The guys at the corner store near where I work also give me a free soda or something now and then, which is very sweet. And the kitchen guys at the (extremely expensive) Italian restaurant in the building I work at give me free dinners sometimes.

I randomly compliment people on the street as well. (Where I live, it's hard to even get someone to make eye contact with you, so they don't get complimented much.) It feels really nice to see them smile as they walk off.

I don't really plan on taking my dolls out for the heck of it, but I'll probably take them to craft stores and such to get the ideas for items and fabrics. It'll be fun to answer any questions, if I'm asked.

3. That is so sweet of her. That polar bear is darling too.

4. What a cute story! Thank you for sharing. ^^

Sounds like you're either very cute and approachable, or you live in a nice place - or both! I don't think anything like that would happen around here.

5. That was just adorable and so nice of her. Its really nice to see that their is a positive side, I have had my share of cranky people that just don't get it or more precise don't want to get it. Makes me sad some days.

6. That's wonderful!!! :)

I've never had anything like that happen yet!
      It's a bit too sunny out here to take my dolls out and about with me, but maybe if I kept her in a bag and took her out indoors someone might be that kind. :p

7. Thank you. I carry Marc about in my purse. It's a big one, so he has room. I got it for Christmas, and it is a black and pink Monster High purse. lol Poor Marc. But it is roomier then being smooshed into his Soom padded...thingy lol. I also wrap him in a cloth, for added protection. Though I don't really have much to put in my purse. lol

I am a little on the shy and quiet side, but very friendly. I don't really expect people to be nice to me, but I like to treat people how I would like to be treated. It makes for more pleasant interactions. If they aren't friendly back, I obviously do not need to waste my time with them.

It's a very small town here, and for the most part people are nice. I didn't grow up here, and only lived here for about 6 years, so everything I like to do and things I enjoy aren't well known. It's awesome though when you get such a positive reaction from a stranger.

8. Its so nice to hear about kindness in the real world. So often people are so focused on themselves that they can't take 30 seconds out of their day to be kind. I see lots of kindness online, but less and less out in the world, so that really warms me when I hear about these types of things :)

9. I just wanna say your story made me smile and also: Is it one of those Monster High bags from Toys R Us? I've been wanting an excuse to get one for months.

I've had my own really nice story...I got a free pair of shoes for my tiny and I was so touched that I insisted on sending her some thing's in return. I still need to send them out but I'm so happy...

10. Aww that's so sweet :D
      I have never experienced that, but whenever I walk around i ntown with one of my own BJD's the cashier in toy stores or other stores ar over helpful, trying to find something for their size as of clothing og furniture xD

11. Arashi:
      Mine came from Costco in a gift pack. I got Frankie Stein with the purse. :3 It's nice quality. :3 Marc fits perfectly inside, with cushion room. lol He's a teenie gem.

And that is so cool, shoes are sometimes the hardest things to aquire!

Ixteno:

People in the craft stores know me well now, and are always super helpful. They even ask where Marc is when he's not with me. lol

12. That's so cool! He's so cute.

Yeah, I ordered some on evilbay and when they arrived they were so small not even a microtiny could fit. I felt like such a moron and the ones I recieved fit like a glove. (I'd post pics of my girl but she's an Off Topic doll.)

13. The polar bear story must have been a lovley experience - and the bear is cute with your boy too.

My closest experience is being called over to a corset-maker's stall at a reenactment market by the girl who ran it. She'd seen me there at previous markets with various of my dolls in outfits I'd made for them and handed me a boxfull of silk offcuts from her corset making - ideal for making doll-sized clothes from.

I used several of the silk pieces she gave me for my girls' outfits when I dressed them as the Twelve Dancing Princesses for a "Fairy-Tale" themed doll meet last Novevmber:
      [​IMG]

Teddy

14. That is an awesome story!

It's always good when people who often don't even know what BJD are react positive to it. Specially since you also often hear of bad experiences.

I think my best experience was when I was when I was going on my way to a friend and my KFD was sitting in my shirt. This guy comes up and was totally fawning over her. It was really adorable!

15. Teddy,

Those are gorgeous dresses!! That is amazing that you received all that silk! That must have been a pleasant surprise indeed!

16. I've always wondered what you as the recipient are supposed to do. I've had someone on the bus give me a pendent, and another time someone gave me some of their groceries. (I have to wonder if I look particularly starved?) Both times I awkwardly said thanks and went on my way.

Then again, I've randomly given small trinkets away when I'm out and about. If I am not particularly interested in keeping it, I give it away.

The bear is absolutely cute, and those dresses are very nice.

17. I was always taught that a smile is contagious, and kindness is valuable. Who knows what kind of day people are having, but simply showing kindness...it could mean the world to people.

18. I don't really take the kids out and about, but I have a friend who has met most of them, and she now gives me all of her ruined clothes to make doll clothes out of. (I also throw stuff of my own that doesn't survive the laundry cycle into the "rag bag" to be made into doll clothes.)

19. What a wonderful experience! I'm a newbie to the hobby, and my doll has yet to leave my house, but my human children have been gifted by strangers (while I'm with them..not weird "candy from strangers" situations.. lol). It's a nice reminder that most people in the world are good hearted and those random acts of kindness have prompted me to pay it forward as well. :)

20. Oh yes! Paying it forward is always awesome. If it weren't for so much coursework and lack of employment, i'd be setting up pay it forward swaps. :3 Pay it Forward events are so cool, I used to do these things often, before I joined the BJD community/hobby.

It's just...contagious. lol Feeling good and positive is such a good feeling. I carry Marc in my purse with his bear. He's the only thing in it....xD I needed to use it somehow.