1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Recognising sculpts on sight?

Nov 27, 2009

1. I can recognize particular popular or unique sculpts, and especially Volks just because I've seen them more. I can usually tell which company made a doll based on its look, though. If you get one of the dolls from a lesser known company but which have a more generic Lutsyvolksy look, it would be more difficult to identify. Companies with their own unique look are easy.

Sculpts are harder if you're not familiar with them. Like, I could definitely identify Luts as a company, but sculpts would be hard because recently they all look the same. "Looks like Regen? Luts. Is it Regen? ... mayyyybe." I can ID some of their dolls easy-peezy, but all those dudes who look the same? Not so easy. Like telling the difference between a Chris, a Lucas, and an F-16.

2. I'm able to recognise a DoT E-an on site, Luts el..sometimes Bory and any peakswood doll xD I don't know if it counts though since these are the dolls I'm interested in as a consumer, thus i keep an eye out on what can and can't be done with the models. Knowing them by sight just makes it easier o///o

3. I recognize the ones I love. I can spot a Dollshe boy from a mile away. I think we're all like that, we recognize what we love. I agree it does take practice and that meants spending time looking at pictures of sculpts. I can also recognize most Soom and Iple boys as well. Girls...other than Soom and some of the MiniFees I have no idea but I don't have as much as an interest in them so I've never bothered to learn.

4. I think that with the number of companies now, and the number of sculpts and limited etc etc... it would be pretty darn tough to recognize them all! I'm certain there are plenty of dolls out there I've never even seen, much less seen often enough to recognize them from a photo.

But, like others have said, I find it much easier to recognize sculpts which I particularly like or am interested in buying, dolls that friends of mine own, or ones that are very popular and tend to be posted a lot (or used as models for clothing/wig/accessory websites). And certain companies have styles which are really easy to pick out- even if I don't know the specific sculpt it's pretty easy to pick out a doll from, say, Dream of Doll, Dollzone, or Dollstown. Newer companies are often harder for me to recognize, and I'm not quite sure whether it's that they have a more generic look or just that they're newer and thus I obviously haven't seen many of them around.

5. Well since I started to collect I owned a ridicolous amount of dolls (of course I bought and sold in the years, can't pay for all of them in the same time -.- so sad...) and so I am quite able to recognize a sculpt I owned just seeing a photo and sometimes a detail only.
      But if this was true time ago, this is not so easy now cause there are many and many new companies and sculpts that is no longer easy to know them all.
      About the same sculpt looking differents, well I own 5 dolls with the same identical sculpt (my Sard herd) and I could say that, even if the face up and the photos can do the magic, a sculpt with great distintive traits cannot be confused with a different sculpt... at last I always recognize a Sard or a Dia when I see it, cause the mold is so unique that cannot be confused... but there are molds that can easy be confused with others with a different face up... sometimes I have difficult to say wich mold is a Volks one, painted by some great face up artists... just cause they changes a lot with a great face up ^^

6. Like most people I can recognise a few sculpts (not many, but some ^^) It's one of these things that (I think) you sub-conciously start doing when you find moulds you like, and then you start to notice them in the galleries ect. And it just builds up from there.

7. I'm not too bad at doing it! I think it happened naturally, because I was browsing so many doll sites and so on, so much of the time. :)

8. Well, I'm to new in this hobby, but I recently noticed that I can recognize some sculpts at sight. I think that it's because I pass all the morning seeing photos of them ^^'. But well, I think that it's a form to gain knowlege about this ;).

9. I can recognize almost all of the DOD dolls, except some of the DOCs... but I know the DOTs, DOBs, DOIs and event heads... I can tell when a doll is a volks doll, but I can't tell the sculpts apart, I know most of the Soom MDs, even without their fantasy parts, and I know some of the Luts and Fairyland sculpts, and some other sculpts from other companies- like Crobidoll, Dollmore, Dollzone, ect.
      It's usually the dolls I like or don't like that I can identify by sculpt, but more often, I can tell a doll is from a specific company- but not pinpoint the sculpt.
      Which I think is pretty good for only learning about BJDs a year ago.

10. I can recognise some of the more popular sculpts like El and Shiwoo but I´, pretty bad at everything else. Especially Volks, although I like them I´m unable to tell the majority of them apart.

11. If it's Volks, I can tell you what it is on sight unless it's really had some crazy work done to it. Like, I think the differences between Lucas and an F16 are really easy to spot.

Same thing with Bluefairy and the older CP dolls, and to a lesser extant most of the Korean doll companies. I can generally tell you if it's Soom or Peakswoods or the like, but I may not be able to tell you the exact sculpt.

12. I've only been into BJDs for about a year, so I'm actually very proud of myself when I recognize a doll on sight lol. Mostly I just know fairyland dolls, since those are the ones I really like. Volks is easy because of the style, though I don't know the sculpt names. Same with Soom, the style is very distinct. And of course Unoas and Naraes are easy to spot.

13. I think it's something natural.
      after you get into the hobby, you just see many sculpts over and over and over again, so you end up recognizing them easily just because you get used with the way they look.

14. I think it's like music. There are super popular songs that everyone knows, but other than that you can more easily tell the difference between things in a style you like. The companies I like, I have no trouble telling them apart or naming the sculpts (CP, Volks, Soom) but ask me to tell you which BBB sculpt is which and I'd be lost. I don't like them, so they all look exactly the same to me. Ask a BBB enthusiast and they'd be able to name every sculpt, and they'd think I was blind for not being able to tell the difference.

15. I'm starting to recognize the faces of some... ^^;

Like, I can recognize a DZ Yuu no problem. Something about that sculpt just gives it away...also sometimes with the DZ Hid...but that may just be cause I love that sculpt...:sweat

16. I can recognise some sculpts on sight. It depends on how much I like the company and how interested I may be in a particular mold, mostly. For example, I could (like most people, probably) spot an El anywhere. I'm also pretty good at recognising several other companies' sculpts, though for some it is only individual sculpts that I've seen a lot (like certain Volks, Soom or Luts ones) while with others I can identify virtually any sculpt, sometimes without even seeing the entire thing (like Dollzone). Then there are ones where I can identify company but not sculpt, like DoD. I can tell you a doll is from DoD, but don't ask me to identify an individual sculpt-they all look pretty much identical to me, so I honestly can't tell most of the time. Actually, I think for me, I can more often identify company than sculpt because I pretty much know what most companies' general aesthetics are like and can judge where they're from based on that.

17. I used to be pretty good at recognizing specific sculpts. But then I stopped following new releases and new companies, so now there are too many dolls I haven't even seen. I still have a pretty good handle on various styles - so if I saw a sculpt for the first time, I can still pin it to the correct company (given it's one of the older companies I know). Being familiar with body sculpts helps in that department as well. ^^

18. I always wondered how my dad knew every single car that ever existed, but now i getting almost that way with dolls, if i cant tell exactly which sculpt I canstill usually tellwhich company

19. I'm not actually that good, I can recognize most sculpts I like and the most ones my friends have :) and mostly i can guess the company, but i'm not really trying to know all of them.. :P but either way, slowly I recognize more and more..

20. I can recognise dolls from the 'old' companies that have been around for many years - Volks, CP/Luts, DoD etc - but I don't have much interest in the newer companies that have cropped up over the last two years or so so I wouldn't be able to name most of them. Even with Volks, while I find it easy enough to tell most sculpts apart I do have a weakness when it comes to F-16 vs Lucas... which is slightly embarrassing when I own an F-16: I should be able to do that!! :doh