1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Recognising sculpts on sight?

Nov 27, 2009

1. I can only really recoginise the sculpts that are dolls I have... Or dolls that I want. I don't pay that much attention to dolls I'm not interested in. ...Haha.

2. I can only recognise the sculpts that I love, like Soom or Fairyland or some from Iplehouse… And also the sculpts that I have o I had :3
      When I'm in love with a doll is because I love the sculpt, and I can recognise it also in some extreme custom.
      I'm not really interested in Luts for example, so I can't recognise the sculp from this house, except Abadon but I think 'cause is a very famous sculpt.

3. I can recognise the company, but since I'm very bad with names I seldom know the name of the sculpt. :( With exception of Minifees, Delfs and Lati blue boys.

4. I'm horrible at it. I can usually tell if a doll is Luts or Volks, but beyond that..not so much. LadySaiyuki's dolls are the exception because they are very distinct. Narae and Narin are pretty easy to recognize, so are Limwha's and Supias.

I actually take pleasure in owning at least two molds that people won't recognize, one being my own minimee, the other being an AOD Nicole which as far as I can tell has only one other admitted owner on DOA.

...maybe someone should make flash cards!

5. So can you recognise sculpts instantly?
      I totally fail at this. I could almost do it when there were only a few companies, but now it's just impossible!

I will fail to recognize sculpts THAT I OWN! Hahaa. Sadly, I'm not joking! (Well, this partially speaks to the last question here, I think.)

When did you start doing it?
      I was better at recognition when I first got in the hobby (2004) and there were fewer dolls, fewer companies--AND I'd been obsessively checking everything out because I was looking for my first and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a possibility!

Why do you think this is?
      I used to care more, basically. Now, there are too many sculpts around to keep track of, so I don't worry about it. I'm not ashamed about not recognizing sculpts... I'll just ask someone what their dolls is, if I don't know.

Are some sculpts more distinguishable than others?
      I'll have some chance at recognizing sculpts that are more distinguishable--and there are a few that are instantly recognizable, even to me! And also sculpts that I'm particularly interested in... but even there, I'll totally not recognize them sometimes (dolls can look SO different depending on faceup and wig and dress!)

Maybe you have "an eye" for certain sculpts?
      I think some people do have more talent, skill or whatever than others to recognize sculpts. Some just are very interested in knowing all the dolls, too.

And what can make two dolls that are the same sculpt look totally different and unrecognisable?
      A vastly different faceup will be enough to make a sculpt look different. The paint can emphasize different shapes of eyes and lips--and eyebrows can be totally different. Adding different wigs and clothing can also really "disguise" a sculpt--like wearing a Halloween Costume. People will look different wearing costumes and wigs and makeup... so why not dolls?

6. I can recognize a lot of doll sculpts especially Luts/Fairyland/Soom/DoD and some Volks really quickly. I just need a glance ^^ I think it's because when I first got into the hobby (in 2007) I was looking for the "perfect" doll...basically I familiarized myself with a bunch of dolls. Now though, because of all the new companies I can't keep up. ((That and I already know what companies and sculpts I like so I focus on them ^^))

7. There are certain sculpts that I can recognize instantly or tell if it's been modified, though these are usually just sculpts I have owned or currently own. I can tell what company most dolls are from but pinpointing a specific sculpt? Not really.

8. I can recognize some sculpts and lots of companies. The person who mentioned how some people can recognize cars was spot on :)

9. Since I got into BJDs, which has been a few months now, I've slowly narrowed down from looking at every BJD and company under the sun to just the one doll company, Blue Fairy. And MinoruWorld, if they count as different. (More like... 1 1/2 companies XD ) . I can't recognize anything outside of this, for the most part, except maybe a few Fairyland MiniFees or the odd doll sculpt here and there. But I know each Blue Fairy Tiny Fairy sculpt like the back of my hand.

<3 ali

10. I can pick out Volks, CP/Luts, and DoD in a crowd. Same for Dollshe. I used to be able to tell the delfs apart, but as my interest in their newer sculpts waned, as did my desire to 'learn' their faces.

11. I have been in this hobby for a while now, but I still have trouble recognizing some of the sculpts......:sweat

12. I'm pretty good at it but not 100% or anything. I aske people 'what mold is that?' all the time. I can apot the ones I like best of course LOL!

13. While there are a number of sculpts I recognise on sight with all the new companies & new releases from our old favorites, it's nigh impossible to keep up with them all. I've always had a pretty good memory when it comes to dolls & find learning the different names/molds part of the fun.

That's one thing about doll collecting, there's always something new to learn so it doesn't get boring.

14. I can reconise most SD sculpts on sight, if not the name of the sculpt company who makes it. As for msd and tinies, apart from a few very dsitinct sculpts i'm not so good, since I don;t owm any and have no intrest in them.

15. I've only been in the hobby for a year, and I do recognize some company dolls, but I still find it really amazing how some people can tell exactly waht mold a doll is just by looking O____o

I am not good at remembering names and faces, even less when they dont move XP
      I have enough difficulty remembering what dolls my friends have so I wont start trying to remember every doll there is XD

16. I can always spot an Elfdoll Red, despite his eyes, wigs, faceup or clothes. It's those lips. They always give him away. I fare much better with the sculpts of dolls I own, or that I've had a lot of exposure to, but some companies have such a distinct style about them that it's obvious to me the doll is from that company, even if I don't know the sculpt. The newer the company, the more hopeless I am, though. I don't go to that many doll meets anymore, so I'm getting a bit rusty.

I showed my non-doll collecting sister some ideas for sculpts that I had for one of my characters, and she looked at me and said quite honestly, "I can't help you. I seriously can't see a difference between any of them." So it's just something that develops over time. I certainly wasn't much better when I started, but now I guess I'm probably average? I doubt I'll ever know all of them.

I still can't tell a Chiwoo from a Shiwoo. I never will. I just have a mental block on them, and it's frustrating.

17. I can recognize three or four.. one is of course the mold I have.. AoD Juli, just because I have her.. Boy&Girl Aurora will also never leave my memory.. DoD Shall is one and LittleFee Ante because she's so adorable..
      But then again, these are molds I have and want.. Other are a bit more difficult..

oh, and I forgot about notdoll labs dolls.. I can recognize those.. but pretty much all of them as being notdoll.. it's the mouth..

18. I always notice CP dolls :D I just love fairyland and luts~ also some sooms, iplehouse EIDs, AoD dolls and some others but I have gotten the hang of it well. the first I started recognizing were Mei's and shiwoo's and chiwoo's
      oh and I'll NEVER get the hang of volks tho

19. It took me a couple months to learn sculpts and I can do a pretty good job now that I been in the hobby 3 years. I do very well with minis and most tinies, the larger ones I got problems with sometimes. I do better with Volks and Dream of Doll and Fairyland and most of Dollzone (3 of those companies being the orgin of my little ones at home). I still getting better with time.

20. Yes, for the most part. I haven't been following as closely as I used to, and there's so much new stuff coming out all the time it's impossible to keep up anymore, so I don't really try too hard. A lot of the sculpts these days seem pretty indistinguishable or are just altered recasts of familiar faces/bodies. I remember everything that's original and interesting, and try to forget the rest! XD

Raven