1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Recognising sculpts on sight?

Nov 27, 2009

1. I think that its normal for that to happen. It only makes sense that the more you see the more you know and that when you have favourites and ones you don't particularly like you can distinguish them easily based on the style of the sculpt. You them begin to associate certain sculpts with your favourites as they are made by the same company and other sculpts with your least favourites. It branches out from there. I can recognise a few companies when I see them.

2. I can spot most of the "classic" luts sculpts no problem as also DOD and some other known dolls..but there are some that will throw me off due to faceups.

3. I've been in the hobby since 2003, and have always been a collector of 60cm dolls. I think with most of us older collectors, we can recognize almost every sculpt from every company that has been around before the "explosion." So, that includes Luts, Volks, CH, and a few others here and there. But, with the mass proliferation of companies AND sculpts, I can no longer recognize the newer Luts/CH dolls, though I can always recognize the company. To this day I'm probably about 95% accurate to recognize which company the doll is made by, as long as it is not a doll that was manufactured in China. I can recognize all the new sculpts of companies I've always liked, and sculpts of those I don't like as long as they become reasonably popular. My accuracy goes way down as the size of the doll gets smaller...

4. i can never recognise which dod the doll is with a different face up:(

5. I probably recognize about 80% of sculpts. Certain companies in particular, Dollshe, Dollmore, Iplehouse, Luts, Elfdoll, Domuya. Peaks Woods, Soom, to name a few; are very recognizable to me. Others, like Volks, I couldn't differentiate the sculpts if you paid me, though I can instantly recognize a Volks doll, I just don't know them by sculpt.

6. There are so many companies and sculpts out there that I am totally clueless to be honest. I recognise most of the delf sculpts, and DOD sculpts, and Feeple sculpts, as well as Soom and some Dolkot and Dollmore, but after that I am rather lost. Do not even TRY to ask me about Volks sculpts, I am really clueless there

7. This is something I started to notice this a few days ago actually. I can spot DODs, Delfs, a bunch of iplehouses, fairylands, crobidolls, and a good few others. I spend a lot of my spare time looking at companies or galleries. I especially love the modded dolls, so I'm good with those too...

8. I was able to recognise a Kid Delf Hodoo on sight at a meet today! :) Guess I'm just more familiar with Luts dolls, though there're some companies' dolls with a rather distinctive look to them, such as Hounds and Custom House tinies.

9. I've been in the hobby for about half a year and I can identify DOD, some Volks, Soom, Luts, AoD, Iplehouse, Dollshe and some others on the spot. Just yesterday I was talking to my friend, who is new to the hobby, and when I realized that she didn't know what a CP El looked like, I sent her a link to the world's best photos of cp and el >.<

10. I used to be able to. These days there are just so many I can't keep up. New dolls seem to be a dime a dozen.

11. The question came up in a dollie meme I saw some time ago. Back then, I'd have truthfully answered that I couldn't. In fact, I can't even remember my classmates' faces after having classes with them a whole semester. But now I think I can recognize most of Soom's Super Gem and Mecha Angel (and thus, bigger MD dolls as well), even if they have mods or completely different face-ups. There's the shape of their faces (which tend to be elongated in comparison to other dolls), and then their lips, also shaped in a particular way. I just love Soom's lips.

12. i know every MNF anf delf. i can recognize if a doll is a super gem (i may not know wich one exactly though)