1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended BJD Magazines or Books?

Jan 27, 2005

1. Has anyone every read this book?

BJD Orbyrarium:
      An Angel's Guide to the Universe of Modern Ball Jointed Dolls.

It's the first one listed on the Denver Doll Emporium here
      http://www.denverdoll.com/books_ball_jointed_dolls.php

I would just like to know what it's about or what's in it since I haven't the slightest idea.

2. Hi! Have any of you ever had vanity books made for your doll photos? Like through Blurb or another such service? If so, can you share more about it here? How many pictures did you choose, how many dolls were featured? Was there a theme to the book or a story, or did is it just purely pictures? And the like. Please share any other stories or information that you can. Pictures would be great too!

What makes a good doll photo book anyway? ;) What kind of pictures should be included in it? What do people like looking at? What should the pictures convey about the doll/owner?

And the like. :D

Just to clarify, this isn't about the sale/retail of such books. It's just about the creation of such for personal use, and the aesthetics that go into it. :) Not for sale, just something nice and concrete that you'd like to have lying around, maybe something to show friends when they visit!

(The usual disclaimer: I ran a search but couldn't find anything. If I overlooked something, please link it to me and lock this thread! :aheartbea)

3. I used Lulu.com to print up a kid friendly version of off topic Rian's trip to the Puppet Up improv show, it's not at all kid friendly. I built up a story about how he likes to play with puppets and because of that was chosen to go to the show (he's based on Brian Henson) and he gets all excited. I was intending to do at least photo story so I took all sorts of shots. Most of the pics were of the show but there were a few of Rian meeting Brian Henson and Neil Patrick Harris. I haven't made it public because I don't have any rights to the puppet show but eventually I might add some of the shots to a general doll memory book.

Basically a 32 page paperback cost me less than $20 for my copy, I used the free Neo/Open Office program and got okay results from less than 300dpi pics. My only complaint is that some came out a bit dark but that's why you always order a proof before hand.

4. I have had 3 so far , throug Blurb ..and Im very pleased with the results
      they are just for me :)
      one of my elves the progress from sculpt to produced ,one of my wigs and my dolls in my collection
      and a tiny one of Blods artwork
      I take them with me to the exhibitions ..so I can show my customers what else I can do

I also love it for reference ..its nice to see how some of my dolls have changed ,and who Ive sold and who I still have :)

5. I've been thinking about doing this, but I'm not sure what I'd include! I have so many doll pictures. I'd need a very good reason to have one done. I've made some for my son as he grows and they're nice to have.

I think tinybears point about seeing how dolls have changed and who's gone is a v.good point - doll families don't change as much as human ones... but it's nice to have a record!

6. Oh, I just got some books of my paintings from blurb and I'm really happy with them. The photos came out really crisp and the colours were dead right. My first thought was oh, I've got to do a doll photo book next!
      The only thing was the price of getting them delivered to the UK, so I might look for a similar service closer to home next time.

If I ever do a doll photobook I'd like to have a few diverse photoshoots of each doll, and try not to be too repetetive. It would just be for my own enjoyment (and perhaps something to whip out for people when they ask me what's with a grown up collecting dolls ;)). I guess I'd just like to show off each doll at it's best and as completely as possible with lots of pretty pictures.

Although it would be cool to pick a theme and base all the photos and the layout around one coherent style.

7. Is there any other book on BJDs apart from the Orbyrarium? With Haute Doll no longer published, I was wondering which other source of inspiration for face ups, dressmaking, etc. is available.

I know there are some excellent threads here on DoA and You Tube videos available on a variety of 'Teach Yourself' topics, but is there any other publication or DVD tutorial worth having a look at?:roll:

Many thanks.;)

8. Here are all the BJD related publications I can think of:

-the BJD Orbyrarium
      -Face+Up - here's a description
      -Dressmaking Book for Super Dollfie vols 1-3
      -Super Dollfie Perfect Catalog vols 1-3
      -Super Dollfie Bible
      -Volks Super Dollfie Encyclopedia 2006 Another Yourself (comes with a face-up tutorial dvd)
      -Volks Official Mook - Super Dollfie Tenshi-no-Sato
      -Super Dollfie Photo Album 2009 Another Yourself
      -Komame's Lil' Custom Lessons for Super Dollfie vols 1-3

I know there are a number of self-published books available via blurb, here's a search on doll books at blurb.

As far as Magazines/Mooks go you can find things in publications of:
      Hautedoll
      FDQ
      Dollybird
      Dolly Dolly
      Unoa Freak
      Pure Doll Guide
      Gothic and Lolita Bible (a few issues have some doll content)
      DolpaFile (mostly 1/6th but early images of first SDs at the back)

And of course there are many doll artists whose books of work are inspirational for BJDs even if the dolls are not the kind we collect - still shelf worthy for a BJD owner:

-Yoshida Style Ball Joint Doll Making Guide - Yoshida Ryo
      -Articulated Doll - Yoshida Ryo
      -Ningyotsuki - Koitsukihime
      -Yaso Doll - dolls by Koitsukihime, Miura Etsuko, Akiyama Mahoko, Floria Sigismondi, Yanagi Miwa, Lousie Bourgeois, Doi Nori, Mihara Mitsukaz, Slawomir Rumiak, Tadeusz Kantor, Jan Svankmajer, Yotsuya Simon, Yoshida Ryo, Shimizu Mari, Hori Yoshiko, Igeta Hiroko, Yogu, Ichioh Aya, and Amano Katan
      -Kira Doll: Kira Ohno Doll Photo Album - Kira Ohno
      -Kira Doll Luce - Kira Ohno
      -Hitomi Zoukan No. 17: Ball Jointed Doll Works Girl-style
      -Byouin Gallery - Simon Yotsuya
      -Exhibition Book - Yuki Atae
      - Doll Bride of Frankenstein - Etsuko Miura
      -Talking Heads No. 42 Magazine - dolls by Nori Tomizaki, Etsuko Miura, Saijyo Misaki, Trevor Brown & Yuriko Yamayoshi, Beksinski, Kwong Kyung Yup, Haruna Tagawa, Vienne Gisèle, Louis Fleischauer & Karen Hsiao, J.K. Huysmans, Hiroshi Ishiguro, Trevor Watson, Alan Daniels, H.R. Giger, Sorayama, Hayashi Asako, Kotaro Iizawa, Tomoko Atsuchi, etc.

Keep in mind that some of the art doll books have adult or disturbing imagery in them and are not for children. Most are completely in Japanese .

I've also gotten pamphlets from Dollheart, Dream of Doll and Soom that are like mini photo catalogs of past works that they included in my purchases.

I'm a book collector on top of being a BJD collector so I do pick up anything related to BJDs when I can. I know there is more out there but that's all I can think of at the moment. Perhaps someone else will have more input!

9. "cirquemom" authored a lovely photo book, "Resin Life", available at amazon.com

10. Hi Idrisfynn!

Thank you ever so much for your incredibly comprehensive reading list and useful links, it must have taken you ages to gather this information. I really appreciate your help!;)

I have a number of books on contemporary artist dolls and artist teddy bears but nothing yet on BJDs so your suggestions are very welcome.:fangirl:

-------------------------------

Thank you wally for your recommendation!;)

I'll check it out and even if the book is not available through Amazon UK, I could order it from Amazom in the US. I have done this before and it worked out well.

11. I love looking at and referring to magazines and books about my collections. Are there books or magazines on the BJDs that you would recommend? I especially like magazines with tutorials and patterns in them.

12. I don't know of any physical magazines devoted solely to BJDs. In the past, FDQ (Fashion Doll Quarterly) use to have at least one article and frequently 1 pattern in every one of their issues for BJDs.

Haute Doll use to have at least 1 article and frequently 1 pattern as well but they closed Summer of 2010. I know people who had subscriptions were automatically given one to Doll Reader. I've no idea if people have been satisfied by this or if Doll Reader has frequent articles/patterns.

Armeleia, the forum owner, helped to put out a book on face ups called "Face+Up." I do not know if it is still available.

Haute Doll helped to put out a BJDObarium, but I doubt it is still readily available since Haute Doll closed.

If you can read Japanese or just love Volks, Volks has put out a ton of encyclopedias of their dolls. As far as I know they are Japanese only. They are also of course Volks only. Volks has also put out several pattern books, but again, the clothes are designed for Volks bodies and instructions are in Japanese.

DollyBird, a Japanese publication, might also have some BJD information and patterns, but again all in Japanese and probably heavily slanted towards Unoa and Volks.

There are also several Japanese doujinshi (self-published) pattern books out there. These can be really hard to come by because they were usually just sold at Japanese events and of course are written in Japanese. Kouga Yun (the author of Loveless) was involved in my favorite, Voleur de Rose. That one had pictures of a few different varieties of BJDs as well as patterns for several different brands. Doll Drugs Kingdom as also put out pattern books, a few lesser known people have put out pattern books, and years ago Biscuit's Club sold a pattern book for BJDs put out by Kyon and Kaori Saito.

Hope this all helps!

13. Not magazines, but Dollmore sells a few patterns that are written in both Korean and English. They're under the "For Custom" category in "Outfit pattern book."

14. I see the BJD Orbyrariium on Ebay a lot, and there's a few up now. I think I paid about $25 for the one I had. It's really neat, though some of the info about BJD companies is out of date now.

15. Thanks for the info. I can't read Japanese but might be able to figure out some of the patterns anyway. I have all the past issues of Haute Doll and several issues of FDQ that I have found great for articles and patterns. Wish they made more like them! I have a subscription to Doll Reader but just have not been real thrilled with it. It's a very small magazine. I just love the quality and contents of FDQ though. I'll do some ebay searches for the BJDObarium... didn't know about that. Sounds like a great book. Thanks again! I appreciate your taking time to answer my questions.

16. Oh, yes! That's perfect. I am putting them on my "NEED" list now. Shipping is more than the patterns are so I guess I'll wait until I get ready to order some other things but I definitely love those patterns. Thanks SO much for your feedback!

17. Yes, yes, yes!!! Thank you so much. This is the kind of thing I am looking for. I see a couple posted on ebay now and will definitely be looking to buy one.

BTW, I see that your location is New Orleans. I am from Ponchatoula. Are there any BJD meet-ups that you attend in the area?

18. I'm not a good seamstress, and I can usually manage to figure out some of the patterns in Japanese pattern books. I think the bigger issue can be fit. Things of course can be altered, but I admit, my sewing skills aren't necessarily on that level yet. Just be aware depending on what dolls you want to own the patterns can be really off.

If you decide you like really tiny tinies like BlueFairy PFs (and I presume LaTi Whites and PukiPukis) you can borrow patterns from My Favorite Doll Licca pattern books for the Kindergarten Kids. They're about the same size. (Again the books are all Japanese, but I found the patterns easy to make and outfits can be really cute!)

19. I was going to link you to the meetup thread, but I see you found it :) I haven't been to any of the meets yet, but I'm hoping to go to the next one.

20. There's Tiny Feet magazine. It's mainly an online magazine and it features off-topic dolls like Blythe, Pullip and Licca as well as on-topic dolls for DoA like Lati Yellows. You can order a printed version from here if printed magazines are more your thing.

I really love the pictures and the styling, I like following fashion blogs in this style too :)