1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended BJD Magazines or Books?

Jan 27, 2005

1. if you wan just patterns there is also the WaWa BJD pattern book, I've seen that on a few different sites

2. When i first started out, i loved the orbyrarium. OK, some of the company info maybe out of date, but thats just 2-3 pages of the book.

Most of it show step-by-step pics of how to face-up, how to body-blush, how to re-string, how to manicure, how to pierce ears, how to do a tatoo, interviews with dollmakers and entoushiasts and a couple of patterns, both for wigs and outfits.

I really loved the book and had to buy a second copy when the first one fell to pieces and had acrylic paint and MSC all over it.

Dollreader keeps getting less pages monthly and the articles seems to become more and more just salespromotions.
      Though they had some really good articles, 50% should be about non BJD dolls, and of the remaining 50% a lot is about non-resinous dolls and fashion dolls. I read the last issue yesterday and what stuck was a lot about Marie Osmonds, and that the ball-jointed part was almost completely about fashiondolls this month. Did like the article about the contents of youre dolls purse.\

Funny that i can recall way, way more about a book i read years ago, since i read the magazine only hours ago.

3. There's also FDQ (Fashion Doll Quarterly). They have some nice articles and occasionally patterns. The photography is really nice as well ^^

4. What a darling magazine! I previewed it online. I do want a Tiny doll and there are SO many of them that are just adorable. Is there one brand that you like more than others?

I LOVE Fashion Doll Quarterly magazine. I am slowly working to buy back issues when I can find them on sale. Just today I went through several of my Haute Doll magazines. I finally got all of the issues by buying back issues on ebay. I love that magazine too and hate that they have combined with Doll Reader magazine. The two magazines together do not even compare to the previous Haute Doll or the FDQ magazines.
      Thanks!

5. Is there a list of books that are about BJDs? If not, I'd love to make the list, since I collect both books and dolls. And I'm sure it'd be fine to include the names of magazines.

The only BJD book I have is Resin Life by cirquemom. I like some of the photos in it. It's sort of quaint.

Does anyone else have any books that they enjoy?

((If this is already a topic, please feel free to direct me to it and delete this thread. Thank you.))

6. Special thanks to idrisfynn for the great list, to OP for this question, and everyone else who added suggestions here. Maybe I'll have something good to add/offer in the future. For now, just my appreciation for all the helpful sharing that goes on around here.

7. Haute doll got me in to BJDS I would recommend them!

8. I've been reading Alison Rasmussen's book Ball-Jointed Dolls for Beginners recently and I've liked it so far. As a newbie, it was really nice to see a bunch of advice in print form rather than searching the internet. There are a bunch of lists of dolls and companies, plus tutorials on things like stringing as well as some common lingo.
      I would like a patter book tho. I liked sewing and I would be fun to make doll clothes to suit my doll.

9. This looks amazing! I might have to look into buying it!

10. My muse magazine is gorgeous as is their books

11. Does any one know of any doll books worth getting in the apple iBooks store, I find it easier to read on my ipad than to read books when on the go, and I can't seem to find much that isn't dolls house stuff. I have the my muse magazine apps and love them. Any doll books including bjds, fashion dolls (except the just barbie ones) or blythes would be awesome especially magazines and books of doll photos

12. Does anyone here have a copy of Learning to be a doll artist by Martha Armstrong-hands? Please message me if you do.

13. Hope I'm not interrupting here, if anyone does know where to find the book mentioned in the above quote could you please pm me as well, would be really grateful ^^. Thank you very much for your time :). (DJWard hope you don't mind that I quoted you on this ^^')

14. Hey folks - I really appreciated idrisfynn's list, especially the mention of Simon Yotsuya, just the kind of artistic style I was looking for. Maybe I missed it somewhere after reading through this thread but my question is - are there any books or magazine issues that focus more on beautiful male bale jointed dolls? Much of what I find seems to focus on the female dolls. Any info would be much appreciated!